Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1414 times)

Offline lihp

« on: August 09, 2011, 16:43:16 »
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I am a new member and I understand it is good form to introduce yourself before joining in any forums.

I have held a motor cycle licence since 1966   have been activley motorcycling on and off over the last 45 years.

Although I live in West Sussex and most of my riding takes place on French roads.

I  have just purchased a new V Strom 650 and I'm in the process of running the bike in. ( Nearly there )

Having been a BMW owner for the past 20 years it was a difficult decision to by a Japanese bike, however my early

impressions  are very good. Infact I did'nt know what I was missing, I should have got one years ago, its a great bike.

The only down side to the bike so far is  me , due to the seat height, I am 5ft 7". It did,nt seem a problem when I test rode the demo bike but I have been caught out on a couple of occassions getting my foot down.

I would value any members advise on how to approach this issue as I understand a low seat option is expensive and only reduces the height by a few  mm.

Regards to all and I look forward to joining in the forums and events if any come up.

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 16:49:00 »
Hello and welcome...    :welcome: 'Ride height' is approachable in another way, namely changing the rear suspension links (aka dogbones) which can lower the back of the bike by 25mm. I think there are some for sale in the 'for sale' section strangely enough.. Some suggest dropping the forks through the braces by a small amount too, but watch the side stand angle...

I now have 2100 miles on my June 11 XP, loosening up nicely!
No bike at present.......

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 17:00:50 »
:welcome:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Glider65

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 18:15:33 »
Hi &  :welcome2:

Skipper is in the same boat.  But his inside leg is 29" (Visually verified)  and he has one good, cheap tip:

On the underside of the seat are 4 black rubber 'spacers' these are attached via rubber lugs to holes in the seat.  remove spacers... seat will lower by about 10mm. :thumb:

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 18:22:33 »

Offline sexpanther

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 18:56:00 »
welcome fellow new bloke  :welcome2:

Offline Motostrom eire

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 19:13:27 »
:welcome: many welcomes don't get disheartened with the height thing you will get use to it and the probs will iron themselves out I've got a few mates who struggled with height thing but through just keeping at it they can make the mighty strom behave itself keep at it

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 20:02:14 »
hi and :welcome:
Too Old To Die Young

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 23:53:24 »
Hi &  :welcome:

Glad you like the Wee, they are great 'little' bikes. See this thread for advice on lowering seat height. Best do it a little at a time starting with the cheap things first like dropping the yolks and removing seat rubbers. Once you find out what's just perfect you can pick the most elegant solution. The rubbers on the seat is there for a reason, to get rid of some vibes so you might not like them out :) Anyway, you'll know what works for you soon enough.

Remember to update your forum profile with your location. If you like you can get yourself added to the members map, see my signature for the link  :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline choppsie

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:44:58 »
Hi and  :welcome:

Just broke the 3,000 miles this morning and the Wee just gets better.

Stick with it. I have a 30" inside and after a few trips got used to the seat height. I am careful putting my foot down where the road cambers away on the left, other than that no major issues.

Enjoy

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 09:51:28 »
:welcome:  :welcome2:  :welcome:
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Catballou

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 12:33:21 »
Hello  :grin:
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline V-Strom-Mark

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 22:57:22 »
Hi and  :welcome:

Glider65's tip on removing the spacers seems to work for some people, worth a try (and cheap too!)  :thumb:
Mark.

There's someone in my head but it's not me.   Roger Waters

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 09:12:07 »
Hi and  :welcome:   :thumb:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline coopmick

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 14:16:30 »
Treat life's little problems like your dog would ... If you can't eat it or shag it, ... Piss on it and walk away!!!

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 21:43:53 »
Hello!  :welcome:

I would say this : I'm 5'8" and thought I'd get used to it, but eventually it caught me out inmy own driveway - place where the paving had sunk slightly, put my foot down - frantically waved foot about! Nothing there! Bang, bike was over! No damage fortunately, but got some 25mm replacement dogbones for about 15 quid, fitted them, and no problems now...sidestand still fine etc. Oh, and dropped the yokes down the forks by about 10 ml to compensate, too! Try the 'search' function at the top of the page to find other ideas about the subject.  :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi