Author Topic: Locky & Juv's Morocco Trip (Sep/Oct 2014)  (Read 23513 times)

Offline JRS81

• Bike: DL650 K5
Re: Locky & Juv's Morocco Trip (Sep/Oct 2014)
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 17:35:49 »
I recognise that hotel in Midelt - that's where I stayed when the wind got to much on my way north! I agree about the disappointing food, but was very pleased to find they sold nice cold beer!

I'm enjoying your write up so far, it's bringing back good memories and making me want to head back to Morocco soon!

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 17:44:09 »
It makes me want to retirn too JRS81  :)  Yes the food looked quite nice but was bland and tasted naff but the beer was a godsend at the end of the day ..

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2014, 18:02:45 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
... There are of course other disturbances of my sleep as well, such as Locky's snoring ...
Never !

In the words of Daft Punk ...

"Were up all night cos of Locky"
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2014, 18:59:50 »
Great write up juv..  :thumb: . makes me want to head out on a big trip but can't until at least late summer 2015...... :bawl:

looking forward to reading the rest ..
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Locky

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2014, 19:48:13 »
Martin W , Juv knew the risks and that he'd be traveling with the King Snorer  :grin:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2014, 22:03:19 »
I have a "secret weapon" of my own that I could use to exact some revenge on Locky :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2014, 23:01:51 »
:shock:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 21:54:24 »
Day 5, Wednesday 1 October:

Today it was time to get serious and put on some knobblies! Locky had seen a tyre changing place in Midelt on the way through so we rode back into Midelt. I was insistent that the tyre place we use should have a machine rather than a bloke with some tyre levers as my rims cost me £150 recently to have shotblasted, powerdercoated black and then gloss powder coated. We found the place Locky had seen and he also had a tyre changing machine. I made enquiries and it turned out, with us taking off the wheels and putting them back on ourselves, that it would cost 20DH per wheel. That's less than a £4 to get two tyres changed! Obviously we didn't even argue with the price, we put some vinyl gloves on that I brought along and set about taking our wheels off so they could get changed.

Locky was the first to have a wheel off:

I'd packed a 12mm 1/2 inch Allen socket, but the biggest ratchet we had was a 1/4 inch one with some adapters to 3/4 and 1/2 inch. Getting the front axle to shift with this was difficult so we resorted to using the tyre changer's air impact gun. We figured that if we had to change a front on the road we'd have to improvise by using a 12mm spanner on the 12mm hex socket or something to that effect. It was a slight oversight on the tool packing side, but we knew we could figure something out if we needed to and we were trying to pack light as far as tools go too.

It's hot work changing tyres in bike gear, luckily it was still early morning and the shade of the buildings was in our favour. My rear axle had corroded in place and was a bit of a bitch to get out. I'm sure I'd put some grease on it before I stuck it in... For the rear wheel we had a big spanner that Locky brought along specifically for the job so there was no trouble getting the rear axle nut off. When Locky's front tyre was getting changed I'd noticed that the tyre changer was only using the machine to break the bead on the tyres and then levers to get the tyre off and on. This wasn't what I was hoping for, my lovely powder coated rims would get damaged the way he was doing it. Luckily I had packed 2 sets of plastic rim protectors that I normally use when I change tyres on the DR-Z. I showed the tyre changer how to use these and made sure he understood that the powder coating on the rims is worth more than 1000DH each and to be careful. I helped him changed the tyres to make sure he doesn't put a lever wrong, that he always levers on the rim protector. It was crazy to watch him change a Strom front and rear with 2 tyre levers, almost like it was merely a bicycle tyre, he knew what he was doing. He eventually called a younger bloke to do my rear wheel as it seemed he was getting a bit tired. Whether he was tired because of the work or tired because I was so insistent that he be careful all the time I'm not sure :) Again I had to make the younger bloke understand to be careful and he understood, I helped change the tyre on the rear too so he uses the rim protectors properly. In the end everything did go smoothly with the changing and my rims didn't get any damage. I was very glad that I remembered the rim protectors and resolved to always pack at least one set when I go travelling, two sets if it was possible.

Putting the tyres back on the bikes I'd become my base layer top and myself covered in dirt and some chain oil (Locky's Scottoiler is like a garden lawn sprayer...), it took a good 10 minutes of repeatedly applying soap, scrubbing and washing it off with water before I felt clean enough. With the tyres now on the bikes they really looked the part.

Locky's Mitas E10 tyres:

My Continental TKC80 tyres:

We'd previously decided that we're leaving our road tyres wherever we got our knobblies put on. We didn't want the extra weight of carrying road tyres around and we knew we'd be able to get back to home on the knobblies without trouble. We explained to the tyre changer that he could have our old road tyres to sell them on as 2nd hand tyres, he gratefully took the old tyres off us. My tyres probably had about quarter of life left in them, Locky's was about half worn. We found that people in Morocco didn't mind getting their picture taken and that, when they noticed we had cameras on our helmets, they would make an extra effort to get noticed.

This was our tyre changer posing for a picture, he chased a few people out of the way so he could get a good picture. The room behind him is his whole tyre shop:

I have to add that I have no idea what we'd have to do to get the tyres changed if we didn't have centre stands. It would've been a whole lot more difficult without them and would've taken much longer too. Stroms aren't little dirt bikes that one person can easily hold up on a side stand while the other changes a tyre, they are heavy beasts, particularly so with engine bars, bash plates, carrying tools, full fuel tanks and all the luggage for a trip like this.

Now we were really ready to get off road onto a piste. We'd sat on a ferry for more than a day, slogged it through Spain, "raced" down through Morocco to get south and we were very eager to ride the roads we really came here for. Our first pick is what we called ME3 (Morocco Eastern route 3), taken from the Morocco Overland book. This piste runs from Gourrama to Ben Tajite and is "only" ~74 km (46 miles) in length. Looking at the route on a map it looks short and you can't tell how tough or easy it will be from a map either. The Morocco Overland book has a description that says short 4x4s and lightly loaded dirt bikes will find it easy, but we missed that when we looked at the route in the book...

Getting to the start of a the route would still take a while, we set off from the tyre changer's shop in Midelt to Gourrama on a nice tarred road and and decided to take it easy as we just put on new tyres. The TKC80 tyres are very good on road and it only took me a few minutes and a couple of long sweeping bends at speed to feel completely comfortable on them. In the dry on a warm tarred road there isn't much between them and Anakee 2 tyres. The Anakees do feel much more stable at speed and cornering, but we didn't go that fast in Morocco that the superiority of the Anakee would easily show. Warm roads do help a lot, I'm sure the TKC80s wouldn't perform as good as the Anakee on a cold road in the UK or a cold wet one for that matter. I've heard before how hairy TKC80s can be in the wet, but have yet to experience it, on 2nd thought, I'm not sure I want to experience that.

Locky later told me he had a moment on is Mitas E10 tyres, the rear kicked out a bit on a bend. We talked about it later on in the trip and he hasn't had another incident so we put it down as something on the road surface causing the slip, perhaps a diesel/oil patch. Otherwise the E10s performed similar to the TKC80 in every regard, they are a very similar tyre and we agreed that either tyre is suitable for this kind of riding. We will probably talk about these tyres again once we've had some time to ride in the cold and wet in the UK. Wet and cold weather performance as well as tyre life should also be considered to make a proper comparison.

We finally arrived at the piste, it was just a dirt road turning off the main tarmac, no sign post at all, you'd never know that it goes to Ben Tajite if you just rode past it. We'd decided that we'll stop for a coffee and a bite to eat when we got onto the piste so we rode a short while to get away from the main road and curious eyes and stopped.

Locky setting up the stove for a brew:

With nothing on these open plains to break the wind, the stove needed some sheltering. Here I'm trying to position my bulky boots to shelter the stove's flame a bit:

You can see the road in both the pictures above, really just a pair of tracks running through the middle of nowhere with no fences or any real road markings to tell you which way the road goes or which way you should go. In these pictures we were only a few kilometres, less than 5, away from a tarred road and there was nothing around to tell you that there was any kind of civilisation here other than a lone mobile phone/radio mast. That's worth mentioning, no matter where in Morocco you are, you usually have a mobile signal. Many times we were in the middle of nowhere, with no one around, no villages for miles and we still had good mobile signal, it's a bit crazy, but when you think that mobile phones are their primary phone network because landline infrastructure is sparse then it makes sense.

We had our coffee, some biltong and buttermilk rusks and then turned on the video cameras and set off. I have hours of video every day of us riding around, but I haven't become around to editing any of it. Unfortunately I also didn't pay enough attention to my camera mount and the camera is pointed down too much for most of the trip, except the last day or so. On top of that there was a problem where the camera was dropping frames and causing a jerky skip effect every few seconds. I think it was having trouble writing to the SD card when recording at 720p @ 60fps even though the card was a Class 10 Samsung one, decent quality I'd assume. The camera I was using was borrowed from Gassoon, an older Drift HD, Locky's was a new Drift HD Ghost S. Locky's video came out much better and his mount angle was good so there might be some video posted later. Sometimes, when I was standing, the angle on my video was good enough so perhaps I can salvage some of it, but I don't have much hope. In any case, what I'm saying is that there probably won't be as much video in this report as I wanted to put in. It's all my own fault for not going out riding with the camera mounted to check the angle and to ensure the video is good at the settings I was using. Another problem with the video is that I can't watch it back for more than a few minutes myself, I get severe motion sickness so editing takes much longer than expected. It takes me several days of on/off watching editing for something that will take someone that doesn't get motion sickness a few hours.

These two pictures show our first stop for a breather, we were hot and sweaty already. The first shows the road ahead and the 2nd shows the way we came. The thing to notice here is that there is nothing much to see or look at. It really does give the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere with no one else around. Of course this isn't true in Morocco, no matter where you are, if you just sit around for a while there's always someone walking by (often in the distance), seemingly in the middle of nowhere themselves and going nowhere in particular that you can tell/see yourself.

This picture was posed for those that have seen the other picture that Locky took of me on a weekend we rode around on the Salisbury plains (more pictures of that ride can be found here):

Just behind me you can see a river cutting, most of them are dry and some of them are very difficult to cross with us dropping bikes in them a fair few times. There are many of these everywhere on the piste we rode. They present a nice challenge to get through as each one is different from others and getting through each gives a little feeling of accomplishment that adds up to a good day in the end.

We soon realised we're making slow progress and that'd we've misjudged just how much time we'd have and how long it would take us to ride this piste. Locky started the falling off and we realised just how heavy a fully loaded Strom, with a near full tank of fuel, really was to pick up. In one river cutting he was crossing he stopped, put a foot out and realised there was nothing there to put his foot on. He went over, the bike on it's left side, with the wheels higher than the tank. That was a real struggle to lift upright with just two people again and we had to do it quickly as well. His right mirror hit the side of the ditch and snapped the mirror mount off the clamp that holds the master cylinder in place. Luckily the master cylinder was still held in place by what was left of the clamp so he'd still have use of his front brake without trouble. As we had the cameras rolling, was running late and we needed to pay attention to where we were riding we didn't take any other pictures of the piste for the rest of the day. For the most part the piste was a relatively easy and very enjoyable ride. The huge amount of river cutting crossings kept us entertained and having to cut across open areas to get back on track also kept things interesting. It's quite weird how you can just pick a direction and ride in it, no fences or anything other than natural obstacles to stop you. In the UK there'd always be a fence or a hedge or some road or something to stop your progress and "put you back in civilisation".

The sun was setting and we were running later than we would want to. We picked up pace as we got used to riding this type of road, but we were still going slower than we thought. We finally got to Ben Tajite and as we entered the town we stopped to have a look at the satnav and maps to find a place to sleep. I had run out of water, even after getting a top up from Locky and he was also running low too. I later found out my Camelbak was slowly leaking water and repaired the leak. While we were stopped a military officer who could speak a tiny amount of English stopped at us in his car. He enquired where we came from and where we were going. We told him we just came from Gourrama along the piste and he looked a bit impressed. We asked if he knew about a hotel that we could stay at in Ben Tajite and was told that there aren't any hotels here. He told us to go to Bouanane as there would be a hotel. We got the feeling that he just wanted us to get out of "his" town. It was now getting dark, we had to find a place to sleep pronto so we decided to head for Bouanane. As we rode through Ben Tajite we realised this is a bit of a backwater town with nothing much in it, perhaps the military base was the only reason the town existed? Bouanane was another 65km away, an hour's ride, we rode as quickly as we could to get there, all on tarred road.

Driving at night in Morocco is arguably more dangerous than driving in the day, even though there is less traffic. This is because the road marking and signs are inadequate and they don't always have safety barriers and such everywhere we would have. It's much more difficult to judge how sharp a turn is in the dark when there is no barrier (or hedge) following the side of the road that you can make a judgement from. We got to the T-junction near Bounanae where we'd need to turn right, the town was about 4km away. At the junction there were two policeman at a checkpoint. They were friendly and we explained we are looking for a hotel in Bouanane. They then told us there isn't a hotel in Bouanane, but that Boudnib is a bigger town and there would be a few. By now it was pitch dark and we didn't want to go to Bouanane only to find that there really are no hotels. We decided we'd head for Boudnib, it was in the direction we planned to go tomorrow anyway, another 56km away, it would take us another 45 minutes.

This time we were on the N10, a national highway for Morocco, but a good single carriage A road by UK standards. These N roads are normally as straight as they can build them, a real point A to point B road and terribly boring to be on. Tonight however we were grateful for this as it meant it's less dangerous for us and we could push the speed a bit to get there quickly. I set the satnav for Boudnib and we set off again, we got there at about 21:30. I rode through town, but we didn't see any hotels... Almost out of town we rode past a sign for "Rekkam" with a picture of a bed on it. We turned around and children next to the road were pointing us in the direction of Rekkam. We took the dirt road leading in the direction of the sign, it's very disconcerting riding on a dirt road at night with only the bike's headlights lighting your way, we went slowly. We were barely a 100 metres before a  bloke on a bicycle came riding up to us from behind. He said to follow him to Rekkam, slightly sceptical we decided to follow, but we needn't have worried, he took us straight to the front gate of Rekkam.

Here a friendly French bloke who spoke a little English popped out and greeted us. We enquired to the price of a room with dinner and breakfast for us and was amazed at how low it was, about half we've paid anywhere else. We didn't really need any further convincing, we'd found a decent place that seemed safe enough who would still serve us dinner at 22:00 at night, breakfast in the morning, at a good price and they had beer! We really wanted beer after the very long and demanding day we had. The Frenchman jumped in his 4x4 and disappeared while we offloaded the bikes and got changed out of our dusty riding clothes. He came back shortly after, he'd collected two local women who works for him to come in and make us dinner. There was no real menu, we just got the "standard" choices of salads and tagines, we picked what sounded nice and sat around outside in the great evening temperatures with a beer. There were no city noises like we're used to, no light pollution to speak of, the air was clean and nature felt closer somehow. It was a good atmosphere to rest in after a long day and we sat around chatting to each other and to our French host and spent some time deciding where we're going to ride next.

Turns out they've only had the hotel open for 10 months, he's come over from France to get it going. They were still building, the next thing to be done was a restaurant, but for now people sat outside at a table to eat, like we did. The rooms were basic, just a mud and straw building with a few mattresses with sheets and blankets over and a pillow each, clean and neat though. Showers and toilets were communally shared, but we were the only ones staying, they were very clean and neat too and had hot water.

Soon dinner arrived and Locky ordered a bottle of wine to go with it:

The food was great, the best we'd had so far (and some of the best we had on the whole trip) and there was too much of it, as was usually the case in Morocco. The wine was a mistake though, at least for me, after a long day of sweating bucket loads and lots of physical exertion, it hit me fairly hard, I'm a cheap date. We slept really well, the mattresses were nice and firm and other than a prayer call early morning there were no other disturbances. Rekkam comes highly recommended and was the favourite place to stay the entire trip for both of us.

Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Ptarmigan

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2014, 01:21:21 »
Brilliant, a compelling read Juv!  :clap:

Offline Twiggy

• Bike: KLV1000
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2014, 07:23:26 »
Excellent read.!
Neil

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2014, 09:36:02 »
Great stuff, Juv  :lala:  :ty:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 20:15:26 »
Five Days down, 9 more exiting reads to go.  :lala:

Did Locky really need a jack under that skid plate? With all the weight on the back?

Chief Stasi

Offline Locky

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2014, 20:32:15 »
With all the weight on my bike it would just lift the front wheel, too risky to take the wheel off though.
I could have got away with a 40l drybag rather than the 60l, I took way to much stuff.

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2014, 20:35:58 »
Great write up- look forward to the next installment!

Just back from Morocco myself, but package holiday rather than biking adventure. . .

I'd be up for a rematch though! :auto-dirtbike:

Geeza

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2014, 19:09:16 »
Day 6, Thursday 2 October:

The next day I was a bit tender, I should know better than to mix beer and wine to start with, but hindsight is, as we all know, a luxury. We were getting into the habit of getting up at 8am by now, not really a problem if you go to bed decently early too. It also makes sense to set off fairly early while it's still not as hot outside. Because we arrived in the dark we couldn't see much of what the Rekkam grounds were like other than where there were a few lights. In the morning there were many more things to look at and Locky took some pictures.

The entrance gate:

Our room:

The new restaurant being built:

A builder who was very happy that Locky wanted to take a picture of him. He was mixing the mud and straw that they build with, it looks like really hard work:

There were a lot of these nomad tents, presumably people could stay there if they wanted to:

Moroccan electrickery installations at their finest, this was a common sight:

A picture with the Frenchie and the rat, I'm not sure he understood what that was all about:

We had breakfast and a shower, packed up and the Frenchie took us to the only place that sold petrol in town:

We were assured the fuel was debris free, the people who run the place drive to Erfoud, fill up from the pumps into clean containers and then sell it here. They decant into 5 litre plastic bottles and then fill up the bikes with that. The whole place smelled of petrol and diesel and we were simply parked in a dirt road out front. Moroccans aren't big on health and safety, they didn't seem to be bothered by the fumes themselves and couldn't be bothered with the thought of what would happen if there was a flame/spark too close.

After fuelling we set off for route ME2 in the Morocco Overland book. The Frenchie told us that there was a river that might be high about 4 km into that piste and offered to go to the river with us to make sure it's passable. He drove in his 4x4 and we followed, when we got to the river he drove into the middle and stopped. The water was about 3/4 high up on his tyres and the river was about 15-20m wide. He drove across and got out to watch us cross. I set off, got up on the pegs, kept the revs up and steady and went straight through where he went through. On the other side there was a bit of a hill to get up so up I went to find the Frenchie fairly startled telling me I should go slower through rivers. I'm not sure he understands that bikes need momentum and that we can't crawl through a river like he can in a 4x4. Locky followed, crossing without any problems and the Frenchie appeared impressed with our performances. We were a bit soaked, but the day was getting nice and warm and the cool water was quite nice, it would dry off soon anyway. The Frenchie jumped back in his 4x4 and set off along the piste, we followed and after a short while we came to a split in the road. He stopped here, told us which road to take and we said our goodbyes before setting off into the middle of nowhere. This is when I realised that neither of us had a video camera on for the river crossing. The crossing was such a grin inducing adrenalin rush that we didn't even think about it or thought to stop either side to take a picture of the river. It was the widest and deepest river we'd had ever crossed on any bike and we both got through perfectly to boot.

ME2 was about 100km of proper off road riding. There wasn't much of a road, more a track with stones and lots of sand and in some places the road deviated or disappeared from what we had on the satnav. Normally the deviations were to get around massive chasms carved by water. We had to find our way around these or, if you could see, go down into them and then ascend the other side. In other cases there were river cuttings to cross and the crossing that the road ran to was inaccessible so we had to find another place to cross. We had to ride anywhere to find our way in the general direction of the road, sometimes picking our way through stony fields. There was a lot of sand and it quickly became apparent that we had to "learn" to ride in sand or suffer all day long picking up bikes. Luckily for me I've had some basic sand driving training in 4x4s before and the experience of that and lots of instructional videos I watched before the trip about riding bikes in sand meant I could get it right quickly. Locky's bike was heavier than mine and he's not used to riding in sand, he was going too slow and the bike would sink in easily. This is a mistake easily made when you're not used to sand, one I would've made if I didn't have any past experience of it. It wasn't long before we had a few topples and had to pick up the heavy bikes. Today I was the first one to go, I went down a rather steep sandy hill, turned a bit too sharp, dug the bike in and got ejected to the right. I had a good little roll down the incline, no harm done. The bike was tough to pick up lying in this position. Locky decided to take another route down to where we wanted to get so he doesn't suffer the same fate as I did. In my semi hangover state, having to pick up bikes in the heat was soon taking its toll.

On one occasion Locky got stuck in some sand and dug himself in deep in a matter of seconds. He stepped off the bike and it was standing upright, I had to get a photo:

This was a real struggle to get out, we opted to lie the bike down on it's side to get the back wheel out of the sand. We then filled the hole with some sand and picked the bike up again. Then Locky started it, put it in gear and, with him on the one side and me on the other side we managed to walk it out to firmer sand where he could get on and ride it. This struggle really knackered me and I kind of lost my patience a bit. I set off in a lecture of how he should ride sand and how we're not going to get anywhere if he keeps falling and we have to keep picking up bikes. I felt a bit guilty for going off like that, but the guilt was short lived and replaced by being impressed. Locky hardly said anything about the episode, took it all on board, was soon riding sand like he's had lots of practice before and was certainly enjoying it more.

Since it was hard going and, from yesterday, we knew how long it could take off road we weren't taking much time to stop for pictures. We had the helmet cams running and  we'd get pics and footage from them (not knowing then that my camera angle was wrong.) We did stop at a well, as far out in the middle of nowhere as we've ever been and take a few snaps though.

The sun was beating down relentlessly so I donned by favourite floppy sun hat:

Trying to recover a bit in the only spot of shade I could find:

There was water in the well, we dropped a few stones in and counted how long they took to hit the water. We estimated it was about 30m deep:

We were getting too hot sitting around so we had to get moving again. The day was getting on, the going wasn't getting much easier, the sand riding was tiring and my semi hangover wasn't helping at all. It was all starting to take it's toll now and it was my turn to start falling a few times. I managed to fall in a few awkward places that made getting the bike up again difficult, but Locky didn't say anything about my falling (making me feel a bit guilty about the previous lecture again.)

The roads now changed a bit, they were more hard packed, but with a lot of stones, less sand though. We were nearing the end of the piste, but we still had some distance to go. We saw a rally racing truck speeding along roads we were heading towards, it was insane how fast he was going. The road we were following seemed to start going in the wrong direction for too long. We needed to turn about 120 degrees clockwise from where it was taking us, but we couldn't remember seeing a road going that way. As luck would have it, the rally truck turned that way and was racing along the road we needed to go to. We just picked the straightest route across open land to get there and followed it. We soon ended up driving right past the rally truck's camp, it looks like they were out there to do some testing. A few hundred meters further and we hit the tarred road we needed to get to. I was shattered and we stopped at the first place we could find some shade for a rest. More has to be said on that, shade isn't easy to find when you're out riding. There really are no trees or high rocks or anything that can give you shade. You can go for tens of miles without seeing a tree that's got enough up top to give shade. Even finding a tree to pee against is a bit of a luxury, usually you just have to settle for a bush.

Our claim to fame, this picture made it into the V-Strom.co.uk 2015 calendar for the month of September (the month we set off on our adventure to Morocco.) It was taken by Locky, as most of our pictures were, he's a handy one to have along :grin: 

After a good rest we followed the tarred road to Erfoud and on the way we were joined by our racing rally truck again. We were on the tarred road going about 80km/h. The rally truck was racing along the side of the road in the desert, off road and overtaking us! :shock: Because our road was straight and his road was twisty and with obstacles it meant we stayed next to him for some time. I tried to keep my head turned towards the racing truck while keeping my eyes forward on the road to get some footage of it. Unfortunately, because of the bad camera angle, one can only catch glimpses of the truck on the video, the rest of the time you just see the dust cloud it kicked up.

In Erfoud there were a lot of rally vehicles: cars, trucks, 4x4 buggies, quads, bikes and everything you might expect to see in a desert rally. Locky bought some tobacco and we talked to a local travel agent who came over to speak to us. He told us that the next day there would be a desert rally that starts there. While watching the AdventureSpec DVD he made of a trip to Morocco we got a recommendation for a hotel next to Erg Chebbi. I think the word "erg" translates to "sea" and Erg Chebbi is like a sea of dunes. The highest dunes get up to 150m high and one of my aims of the trip was to take the Strom to the top of the highest dune here. That crazy idea was snuffed out after today's riding in the sand. I had come to realise how difficult it is to ride a heavy bike in sand and have much more respect for Dakar and other desert rally/enduro riders now. It is much easier in a 4 wheeled vehicle (often with the luxury of aircon.) If I ever go back on a smaller bike I will still give it a go then.

The hotel we were going to was called Yasmina and I had coordinates for it so we set off on a desert track. In the start the road was big and easy to follow even though it was very corrugated in some places. It soon split off into multiple little tracks and it was difficult to figure out what goes where because they don't go in straight lines. I decided that we'll just ride wherever we wanted to and keep as close to the satnav route as we could. This meant we were riding over mostly flat hard packed desert with some loose sand. We could see ahead well and I was going fast, up to 60 miles per hour in some places. We were standing up to give our suspension an easier time. There were little steps in the sand every now and then, they were about 4-8 inches high and, luckily, most of them were steps down for us. We could fly along at speed and jump off the steps, I felt like a rally racer and had to be careful not to get careless, falling off here will still hurt a lot. We spent about a half an hour riding around in the desert like that and it was great fun after a tough slow day. Eventually we came to bigger roads and found the road up to Hotel Yasmina. The hotel was next to the dunes and that was about all it had going for it. It was overpriced, the food wasn't good, the rooms were full of sand (at least not on the beds) and the general disrepair was evident. It was another example of the stance Moroccans (probably not all of them) take to general maintenance of buildings and other things. I had kind of insisted that we sleep there as opposed to anywhere else in the area and, for the 3rd time today, I, uncharacteristically, felt guilty because it wasn't all that you'd think it would be from the pictures and trip adviser reports. I think a lot of other people rate it on the view they can get of the dunes (location) rather than the standard of the hotel compared to others. It was one of the worst places we stayed at, it didn't even have hot water, something I really needed after today.

A view of the outside eating area, overlooking the dunes:

Nomad styles tents nearby, it looked like it was a tent hotel:

Some camels:

Some of the bigger dunes, but not the biggest in the whole of Erg Chebbi:

The central courtyard of the hotel, you can just see the bikes to the left:

As we were absolutely knackered we went to bed fairly early and we slept like dead men. Tomorrow we'd go through some gorges :hd:

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2014, 21:32:49 »
Keep 'em coming Juv  :thumb:

Chief Stasi

Offline Ptarmigan

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2014, 21:45:49 »
Another thrilling instalment Juv!  :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2014, 17:42:39 »
Day 7, Friday 3 October:

After the previous day's difficult riding we were in the mood for an easy day. We decided to go look at three artworks in the desert, all created by the same bloke, but on the way to the first one we realised it's going to involve a lot of difficult sand riding and that we don't really have to time to do it if we wanted to get to where we were wanted to end up today. Instead we continued past the area where the artworks are and went to ride through some gorges.

This was the first stop we made when we were into the gorges for a while already. I had to make sure we were on the right roads. while I was sorting that out Locky took some pictures.

We went through Todra Gorge on to Tinehir, then to Ait Hani and then to Amellagou. Riding through the gorges is a great experience, the roads are constantly going up and down and are twisty so things stay interesting. We also had very little traffic so we could go at our own pace so that we had some spare attention to look around. The road surface also varies from good tarmac to, in some places where rivers might cross, gravelly cement slabs. The walls of the gorges are really high it reminds me of the mountains at home in South Africa when you look up: you feel really small if you're right at the bottom and looking at the very top.

Near Amellagou I had to make an emergency stop.

We found the nearest place to stay on our Sat Nav and set off for that, it was going to take us a while to get there. We rode for quite some time and then there was a really bad noise from the rear of my bike. I stopped to check what was wrong, it turns out my rear chain guard bolt had come loose and fallen out. The chain guard got caught on the chain/wheel and this was the result.

I removed the chain guard and it was quite obvious that it couldn't really be called a chain guard any more. I believe this was one of the first Cymarc chain guards for the Stroms ever made. It was sold to Fat Rat, but there was a vibration issue so it went back to Mark to reinforce the rear mount. This improvement was put on all the future versions and Mark also did the mod for free for anyone that already had one (he's a top bloke  :thumb: ) Far Rat got rid of his Strom and I bought the chain guard off him for my Strom.

I wasn't going to carry it back to the UK so I flung it far away to the other side of the road into a rocky field. Locky reckons that whoever finds it will put it on their mantelpiece and think it's something that's fallen off a space ship  lol   

With no damage to the tyre we set off again and, after looking like the satnav is taking is to a wrong place, arrived at Chez Pauline, where we would stay for the night.

The place is run by a little French lady and two blokes. It seems to just be a house that's been extended a lot and the rooms were converted to be used for hiring out to guests. The place was a maze and it took is a while to remember which way to go to get to our room and back out. Their English was about as bad as our French which made communication interesting, but by now we were used to it.

She allowed us to park the bikes next to the house under cover.

The decorations in the house were also interesting, lots and lots of African wood carvings everywhere along with various other African themed stuff. I think it would take a lifetime to gather this many carvings, almost something to be proud of.

This was our room, it was overpriced for what it was, but there wasn't any other choice for us that was near enough.

One thing that made up for the price was that, after a long hot day, we were served steak and beer! It's difficult to beat that for a good end to a good day's riding  :)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2014, 20:46:01 »
Spaceship  lol Atleast when my chain guard came off on ST7 it wasn't bent  :)

Chief Stasi

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2014, 07:41:37 »
Is the chainguard to the Vstrom what the main shaft bearing is to the GS?