Author Topic: Thought I had a problem...  (Read 2733 times)

Offline barnabas

Thought I had a problem...
« on: June 29, 2008, 23:56:23 »
... with the new bike. Just managed to put a few miles on the clock today. Got the bike with a full tank (thanks Mike) and there were still 5 bars showing at 120 miles! Thought I had a duff gauge but eventually lost a bar. Still 4 showing at 150 miles - I have been used to filling up the 1150GS at 170 miles with same sized tank. Now although it's not been above 5000 rpm - well not much - I have been riding pretty briskly and this looks like one very economical bike.

I just can't believe what a joy to ride it is - the engine is really spot on - smooth and poky - can't wait until I can get near that red line  :clap:

Happy Happy Happy!!!

Anonymous

Re: Thought I had a problem...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 00:54:37 »
Heh, yeah, the economy's pretty mental.  Although I've never tried it, I reckon if I brimmed the tank while on the centre stand, I could probably do 300 miles before finally conking out.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:18:10 »
Careful though,

Mine stays at half a tank for ages then in the blink of an eye I am down to one bar  :?
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline doebag

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:48:37 »
This has come up a few times on the VSRI. The gauge and sender are not linear in their display. I find I have done half my tank range and still showing four bars on the guage, then it drops quicker for the second half of the range. I did an experiment when I bought it and ran the bike until it ran out of petrol [ spare can on the carrier]. I found the flashing symbo; for reserve to be fairly accurate regarding fuel left as to what the manual gives.
However I still do not better 50mpg for my DL1000.And at least 50% of my commute is motorway miles, so steady throttle but relatively high speed.
'Dying ain't much of a living, boy'

Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline barnabas

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:56:14 »
I guessed it was a non-linear thing but even so I'll be more than happy with 200 miles to a tank. I'll pick up this theme when I've actually used  the first tankful.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:17:04 »
This is why I like having our own UK forum, as my manual and experiences don't match up with the blurb on VSRI.  Plus for the K7 650s, the goalposts have moved somewhat.

My gauge seems very accurate.  I normally do about 190 miles with three bars left - that's about half way on the gauge.  To fill it takes about 12 litres - that's about half the 22 litre capacity.

Furthest I've done so far is probably about 250 miles with two solid bars left, so I think 300 miles on 20 litres or so should be easy.

You DL1000 boys are just jealous.  :mrgreen:

Offline barnabas

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 16:40:24 »
So - at the end of the first tankful - 240 miles. 16.8 litres fill = 64.2 mpg approx.

That's pretty good in my book but nothing like munki's 70+ mpg - that's amazing. How?

Offline Chris Graves

• Bike: V-Strom DL 650, ZZR 1100, Honda CRF250L
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 17:20:19 »
DL1000 boys are not jealous but they are fast lol  lol

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 18:13:57 »
Quote from: "barnabas"
That's pretty good in my book but nothing like munki's 70+ mpg - that's amazing. How?
Easy, I just left it in the garage and didn't start it for a month...

I don't remember what I did to get 70mpg.  It may have been in last year's miserable monsoon season.  I normally just surf the torque rather than rev the crap out of it, and my style is just to enjoy the ride rather than having to obliterate everything else out on the road.  Gives me about 63 on average.

Offline Tanzy

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 18:14:39 »
Quote from: "barnabas"
So - at the end of the first tankful - 240 miles. 16.8 litres fill = 64.2 mpg approx.

that's about what I got out of my 650 while I was below 5,000RPM. Going to see what happens next time I fill the tank up as I can now go to 7,500 RPM. So of course I will be keeping to the speed limits  :roll: