Author Topic: Laser 5093 Disc Brake Piston Spreader  (Read 3234 times)

Offline mjc506

Laser 5093 Disc Brake Piston Spreader
« on: May 14, 2014, 16:10:24 »
I was looking for a tool to help my lazy self put some new pads in. Since I leave it too long between brake services (and ride off road) my pistons are always a little stiff, so I figured a tool to help would be useful.

The Laser 5093 spreader looked ideal (most are designed for car callipers and other single-sided brakes - I've got the SV1000 4pots). For £18 from Amazon, worth a try!

1. First Impressions/Unboxing Impressions
Typical Laser packing (minimal), but who cares. Pull the card out of the back of the plastic blister, and out it comes! The tool looks nice and sturdy, and comes complete with a little bottle of lubricating oil for the threads.

2. Initial Setup/Installation
The idea is that you remove the pads, place the 'spades' between the pistons, and wind them apart, forcing the pistons back. The spades should be kept parallel, otherwise the pistons will be pushed in crooked and jam. Using fingers is fine, but with 4 pistons per caliper, keeping the other pistons pushed back is tricky. This should do them all at once!

3. Real World Testing (how did it perform)
Good idea, terrible execution. The stiffening pin which is supposed to keep the spades parallel is bolted loosely to the spades, instead of welded or threaded. The spades then flex under the lightest of loads and the pistons jam. The design probably worked at the prototype stage, but they've made it too cheaply.

5. Tester's Opinion (summary)
Total and utter crap. Save your money.
I suppose I shouldn't have been so lazy!

6. Star Rating
 :star:

7. Pictures

Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]