Author Topic: need advice - Not a happy bunny  (Read 2018 times)

Offline turn-when-brown

need advice - Not a happy bunny
« on: April 04, 2011, 17:58:50 »
Hello blokes I need some consumer advice. and I know how much bikers love to shop !

Anyway I've not long passed my test and as you are all fully aware kitting out for the first time is a costly event. got all my stuff bike, trousers, jacket. Had about £150 quid to spend on a helmet so done some googling and found the HJC IS-16 drafing.
Off I popped to the local Heine Gerrick shop and tried it on, lovely , perfect fit. 'Any reported problems?' I asked the very nice shop assistant? no she said , oh apart from one bloke who came back saying that he was getting a draft in his eye. Thought nothing of it and she didn't offer anymore on the subject except to say that he prob didn't have his visor closed properly!!
I now find that going over 50 mph produces a horrible draft in my right eye. this is definately coming from the top right of the visor.
I called HG shop today and was told that I can take it back and they will send it off to the supplier to have it tested but this will leave me without a helmet. HG tell me there is nothing they can do about it! surely I'm allowed a replacement, after all it is not fit for purpose and it's hardly my fault!

anyway blether / moan over. Anybody any advice?

by the way I have found at least one other person (forum somewhere or other ) that has reported the same problem.

cheers
Dave

Offline Oldie

Re: need advice - Not a happy bunny
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 18:12:29 »
HG are probably not going to refund your cash due to the specific product involved (they will use the argument that it may have been dropped, and it's not feasible to prove otherwise). Similar refund policies apply to earings and stuff. Check their conditions of sale to see if there is a helmet caveat.

Do more research and build up your evidence as it sounds as if the product design is faulty, in which case you should get your money back.

As a last resort, they may offer you an alternative temporary replacement until the original is tested and passed as being fit for purpose. Just a bummer all round though.
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 18:20:19 »
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... hjc/is-16/

Check that link, there is a comment about your problem that you can use as an arguement that you are not the only one getting the issue. There are also other comments about visor issues with the helmet so read through them all to see if you can get more 'ammo' (I didn't read them all.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline turn-when-brown

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 18:55:05 »
Thanks Juvecu and Oldie,

If its a nice day tomorrow I aim to take my bike into town (first time with the Vee, first time with anything except my training on the CB500  !!). So providing I make it in one piece I will go into HG with my defective helmet and my evidence ;) - see what they have to say. Not feeling confident that I will get a replacement, but I won't give in without a fight.

I've also sent an email off to HJC headquarters detailing the problem. Unlikely that they will recognise the problem but they might send me some free stickers :)

I will post the outcome.

Dave

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 19:13:30 »
sorry to hear about the issue with your lid - I have an is-16 and can't say I've noticed any draft in my eye although my eyelids do dry out more whilst wearing it, I guess it might be related  :shy: can't say I've worn it much since getting the tour x3
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 20:15:47 »
I would close lid and and see if I could get a bit of paper or card in between visor and seal and at what points if only at the right hand side show them this and allow them to adjust the visor and helmet to remove this space then test ride to see if it's fixed. If they won't adjust it or do but there is still a difference around the seal and visor and you still get a draft reject the helmet as not fit for purpose, they will try and give you all this we have to send it back to the manufacturer rubbish but you do not have a contract with the manufacturer as they sold you the goods your contract is with them and the contract is covered buy the sale of goods act how they deal with their supplier is nothing to do with you. Be polite but don't get fobbed off.

Offline turn-when-brown

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 20:31:51 »
Hello putbinoot,
very sound advice, just tried slipping a fag-paper (Hello I'm over 40!) in between visor and shell and sure enough it slips in easily from just past centre of visor to far right. However doesn't get past seal on the left side.

10 points for smart thinking :)

cheers
Dave

Offline Sven

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 22:26:39 »
Have a look here - may be some info to help.
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... 38311.html

I've just been writing a letter to reject a sofa we bought from harveys, as 'not fit for purpose' under the sale of goods act 1979. Shall be popping in to see them tomorrow. :violence-uzi: