Author Topic: What have you done with your bike today?  (Read 226462 times)

Spadger2 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Reply #1180 on: October 07, 2019, 15:55:01 »

From the South American River place. The cheapest 6 litre one with a lot of 5-star reviews.

Honestly, they are all probably made in the same place in China unless you go to Switzerland and spend ten times the amount.

The fluid is from the auction site. "Carburettor and machine cleaner for ultrasonic cleaners dilute 10:1". I didn't download the data sheet, it isn't acetone so could be Brummy tap water and fairy liquid, but it works.

I'm down just over a hundred quid, but have enough stuff to do the carbs another ten times and the wife's jewellery as often as she likes. She was paying ten quid a go for that, so I think it'll pay for itself.

Andy

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #1181 on: October 07, 2019, 16:19:52 »
 :ty:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #1182 on: October 07, 2019, 16:50:28 »
You got it from Orinoco? What's Madame Cholet going to clean her bling in now?

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #1183 on: October 07, 2019, 18:08:19 »
The rationale behind the removal is that these narrow band sensors are pretty basic in their operation I.e. lean/rich/OK, but not how lean or rich which is a function of the wide band ones. They're only read by the ECU under emission test scenario conditions and do bugger all for 90%+ of the time. The 10% it is involved with seems to result in crap low speed / light throttle running. Keihin EFI on the 990s was renowned for being pants and felt a distinct downgrade from the carbs on the 950s as far as driveability goes.
Without the sensors, the bike resorts to the map it uses the rest of the time and relies on the rest of the sensors to inform the fueling. The majority of KTM people who expressed a preference said their bike preferred life without them.

The options I have are to go to the KTM dealer up here, who are not shy at charging exorbitant sums and this is an informed path to isolate the likely cause of the issues I've been experiencing. Some might see it as a bodge, I disagree.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #1184 on: October 07, 2019, 21:14:07 »
Varadero owners do basically the same with the o2 sensor and some of us get rid of the PAIR system too.
If you can get the engine back to  how it was envisaged by the designer when he was thinking performance over economy and sod the polar bears that would be great!  :auto-dirtbike:

They're only read by the ECU under emission test scenario conditions

Are you suggesting KTM would also 'fudge' the emmisions tests?

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

• Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #1185 on: October 07, 2019, 22:01:44 »
As if...

I've already ditched the secondary air and cats along with the standard cans so I'm not on Greta's xmas card list anyway. The factory desert bikes didn't have all that bollocks attached and still seemed to run pretty well.  :auto-dirtbike:

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #1186 on: October 12, 2019, 22:04:47 »
I wired in a couple of quick release electrical connections for my heated kit. one for the Baader Meinhof vest and one for the DIY heated insoles.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #1187 on: October 13, 2019, 08:10:45 »
SWMBO's brake disks were fecked. so...

Stripped the calipers
Rebuilt with new seal set
New Ferodo Platinum pads
Full set of braided HELL lines
New EBC XC contour discs

A fair bit of work but it now stops on a sixpence.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1188 on: October 14, 2019, 01:13:47 »
Ooh, shiny...  :sunny:

The lambda eliminators arrived Saturday morning:

So the afternoon was spent trying to fit the blanking plugs in the headers. The front went in easy but the rear was a total shit as I couldn't get into it with an Allen socket enough as tighten it, so the pipes had to come out. It was relatively easy to get to them with the shock out the way so about an hour had this done:

And 2 minutes on the bench sorted the blank:

Everything went back together pretty quickly, but then the next problem arrived. The bike really didn't want to start and spun for ages before eventually struggling into life, but then just kept dying & not wanting to take any throttle at all. By now I'm starting to think I've made it worse with the eliminators but I'm conscious that the fuel pump seems to be making funny noises: there are numerous posts on the forums of the world about pumps failing with not many miles on them so I'm wondering if that could have been the fault all along.
Left tank back off again and pump out to find that the upper filter housing (white part on the right) wasn't on right: there's 2 plastic tabs on the that are engaged into the spring clips but one clearly hadn't been quite home & the pressure from the pump had opened that side up. That would then just allow the fuel to bleed out into the tank rather than to the injectors which would not be conducive to good running.
Making sure that it's fully clicked in this time, pump went back in and this time she fired up straight away & is reacting to snap throttle opening as she should. Now I'm needing a decent day to try her out on the road to see what happens out there.

One other little job I took the chance to do this time was to change the mounting for the front inside leg of the engine bars from bolt to stud as this makes re-attaching them easier it seems.

The nut & washers take the place of the spacer that sits under the bars and it does make the job less hassle as trying to line up all the holes to put bolts in was a complete pain and now it's just the one to do.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline TLPower

« Reply #1189 on: October 14, 2019, 05:31:35 »
Good work Mr Nick, I was reading last week on a KTM forum a bloke had exactly the same issues with an 1190 fuel pump. Seems there needs to be an audible click.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1190 on: October 14, 2019, 16:50:49 »
I had heard a click, but clearly just from one side. It takes quite a bit of effort to fully engage them both - 220lb gorilla leaning hard on it just makes it... Whilst remembering that you can only replace the whole pump if it breaks - there are no spares of components available. A blonde one short of £400 tempers the aggression no end!

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #1191 on: October 14, 2019, 21:36:13 »
I bought mudguard and hugger extenders for the RS. I then had to buy an ABBA stand to get the wheels off. The front guard cannot be removed without first removing the wheel. The hugger has a fastening screw too close to the silencer so it was wheel off the rear as well. Today the stand arrived so I set to and fitted the extenders. Only took all bloody day. I've not ridden it on wet roads yet but the rear end looks like sand has been thrown all over the rear end. It irks me that even with extenders the mudguards are wholly inadequate.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #1192 on: October 14, 2019, 22:06:17 »
My imported Vespa passed its MOT today, at the second time of asking. Some Muppet first time round (which may have been me) didn't twig that a French scooter would have a main beam that dips the wrong way for driving on the left...

Now to register it with the DVLA, wish me luck...

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1193 on: October 26, 2019, 13:17:19 »
Today was the first chance I've had to try the KTM after the work and I'm pretty happy with the way she is now: no more hesitation and she does feel a bit less jerky at low speeds, so job done from my perspective.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline TLPower

« Reply #1194 on: October 26, 2019, 16:55:13 »
 :thumb:

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #1195 on: October 27, 2019, 18:53:55 »
I fancied a ride on the Bulldog to test the carbs after I fiddled with them ... tuned is far to technical for what I did... and a ride needs a place to ride to and as there was talk of Mablethorpe and I hadn't been for thirty years well.... I had to eh! I didn't go for the races and just as well as they were packing up their trucks and leaving when I arrived. So I ate my sandwiches and drank my flask of hot chocolate and set off for home. The bike was fine and all was well until my throttle side hot grip failed. My word hasn't it got cold..my hand was almost frozen when I got home. And then the hot aches set in..... The Keis heated jacket worked well on it's lowest setting. I think I'll invest in some heated gloves as they just plug in the jacket.  320 miles today and probably the last big one until next year. And yes I still really do like to ride a motorcycle.

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1196 on: October 27, 2019, 19:20:50 »
Sounds like a good last trip if it is though Dave.
I acquired a 'combat undershirt thermal' earlier this year and used it in anger for the first time yesterday. I was quite comfortable even without the linings in the gear and the jacket vents still open. Didn't even feel the need for the grips, but I wasn't out as long as you.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1197 on: October 27, 2019, 21:39:16 »
I swapped the bikes over after the ride yesterday to get the V50 back on the lift to sort out the ignition. Tonight I popped the terminals back out of the connector & swapped them left to right as that's what I feel was wrong - the manual is not clear which way round the picture below is meant to be interpreted as looking from.

I'd gone with it being as you look at it on the front of the engine, but it appears to be the opposite as the swap over allowed her to fire up.

I also had the chance to look at the flywheel to see if I could find these elusive D & S timing marks and there are 2 notches, just not marked as such. I've made a slight adjustment to the pickups and the marks now seem to line up, although trying to look head on when there's a wheel in the way isn't easy.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Brockett

« Reply #1198 on: October 28, 2019, 08:41:28 »
Hmmm I didn't know I knew so many Italian words for colours.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #1199 on: October 28, 2019, 16:17:40 »
Needed to head to Swansea to sort a few things.

Started the XJ6 and it idled slow and stalled as I didn't use the choke.

Pressed the starter and heard the solenoid click but nothing else.

Poked a few things, shorted the battery + straight to the starter + = nothing!

Stripped the starter out and the brushes were filthy.
Pleanty of material left.

Cleaned and reassembled.
Started perfectly.

Guess it was just one press away from not working.

Glad it happened on my day off rather than when leaving at 6.30am to get to work.

Ride Coordinator