Author Topic: New or Old version of Shoei or Schuberth helmets  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Tickmik

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
New or Old version of Shoei or Schuberth helmets
« on: June 28, 2019, 09:01:47 »
I am looking at upgrading my helmet. I currently use an AGV Compact flip up helmet but am considering either a Shoei or Schuberth flip up helmet. The versions I am looking at are the Shoei Neotec/Neotec II or Schuberth C3Pro/C4Pro.

As they have both recently come out with new versions and the older ones are available with good discounts I was wondering if anyone has recently upgraded. Are the newer versions worth me spending the extra £200 or should I put that towards the intercom?

Cheers
Mick

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
Re: New or Old version of Shoei or Schuberth helmets
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 23:43:47 »
Save your money and buy a Neotec  :thumb:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline Mad Malone

• Bike: 2010 DL650GT , 1991 Triumph Trophy 1996vfr750
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 14:11:26 »
Neotec,they are available at a good price for what was originally £500-00 I got mine for just under £300.

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 08:08:26 »
Another :thumb: for the Neotec here.  Had mine for a couple of comfortable years now.
The price is very reasonable when you realise they're basically hand made helmets.

Offline Tickmik

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 19:24:21 »
Went today to have a look at them the options today.

I tried on the Schuberth C3 Pro but I don’t have the right shape head for one as it felt tight on the forehead. Tried the C4 and better head shape but my chin was rubbing. Read on other forums these were things others have found.

Unfortunately can’t find a Shoei Neotec in large but tried a Neotec 2 and it felt right. Looks like I may have to do the more expensive option.

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 11:31:14 »
Sportsbike shop have a matt black neotec 1 in large.

I too had the same thing as you.  Went in for a C3, but didn't fit.  Came out with a Neotec.

Offline Leon

• Bike: DL650, ER5, XS250 Cafe Racer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 13:28:46 »
I have used the Neotec for 2 years and around 25,000 miles now.

I had the Multitec and loved it but the Neotec just doesn't seem to have the same quality about it which surprised me.

The strap on mine has frayed and the little rubber bit moves about. The chin bar feels cheap and the visor system is a bit plasticky.

The fit is good and the shell has the usual Shoei quality but I was very unimpressed with the rest, even the venting system wasn't as effective.

I'll be looking to get another Caberg next. Like the look of the Tourmax.

The more you think the less the better.

Notable bikes: SV650S (Sold), Kawasaki ER5 (Being repaired), 01 Blade (Sold), Another SV650S (Sold), 05 GSXR1000 (Sold), Suzuki GSF400Z (Sold), Yamaha FZR400RR Streetfighter (Sold), Kawasaki GPZ500S (Sold), Yamaha XJ600 Divvie (Crashed), 04 Kawasaki ZX10R (Written off at Snetterton), GSX750X (Sold), 04 ZX6R (Sold), 02 ZX6R (Sold), 94 FZR600R (Sold), 91 NC30 (Sold and missed), 87 GSXR750 (Sold and really missed), RD125LC (Crashed, rebuilt then sold).

Offline Himself

• Adventure before ... errr...
  • Bike: DL1000A L6
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 14:30:37 »
Another vote for the Neotec. Plus with Shoei you can get different thickness liners and cheek pads, to get that perfect fit.

I don't think I've met anyone who "loves" their C3. "Good helmet but ..." always seems to be the comment

Offline Jamieboy

• Bike: DL650XT L5
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 16:50:30 »
Owned both a c3 and a neotech... Neotech much better in my opinion. Schuberth has a really odd tag under the lining at the front which dug into my forehead and got painful after a whike. They may have fixed that since as mine was an early c3 I think but it was a bizarre oversight.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 17:04:21 »
Couldn’t get on with a C3 pro due to head shape, and bought a C4. They now tell me the C4 pro has gone back to the shape of the C3. There were issues with the C3, but I have the built in comms so uncertain what to do as I have to replace both lids post crash. The Shoei is a very well made helmet but the Schubert’s is known for it’s quietness. Also very stable in winds.

Offline Himself

• Adventure before ... errr...
  • Bike: DL1000A L6
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 10:16:59 »
Sports Bike Shop now has a selection of helmets for road tests.

Yes ... you get to go test helmets on the road - Brilliant idea

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 22:39:57 »
I had one of the first C3's before they had basic and pro models and found it to be very comfy with no odd quirks. I liked it enough to buy another when I needed a smaller size. Bought the basic and again I'm happy with it. My brother has a  neotec and he likes that too. It's down to how it feels when it's sat on her 'ead! Having fitted intercoms to both types of lid I have noticed that ear piece placement is better in the C3 as it has an elongated recess.  This allows you to fine tune the position of the ear pieces to get the best sound. You only have to get it a little  bit out of position relative to your ear'ole for it to make a big difference to the volume of sound you hear. With the neotec it fits where it fits and if it's in the wrong place then tough. Just something to consider...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline daveywww

• Bike: DL650 K8
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 19:21:27 »
I have a couple of Shoei’s which fit me perfectly, no hot spots or anything. I got a c3 pro earlier this year. Tried it on briefly, all good. Went for a ride after I got it, and after a while it just wrecked my forehead. Just not for me. I’m told the c4 is a different shape? If you find something that works, I’d be inclined to stay with it. Good Luck.