Author Topic: The Strines, yesterday  (Read 591 times)

Offline Froglodyte

• Bike: DL650X L0, Yamaha FJR1300A
The Strines, yesterday
« on: August 10, 2023, 14:23:26 »

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: The Strines, yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 15:01:46 »
I'd heard from my folks that Mortimer road had been resurfaced.
Part of me will miss the giant potholes and cracks right on the line of the hairpin at 6:50 but I'll find a way to enjoy the smooth while it lasts :)
Cars failing to deal with the corners can make for a hairy experience when they want more of your side of the road than theirs around those walls.
Yes it is one of the best roads in the area but it can be very busy with cyclists at weekends since it was used for the Tour de France along with Holme Moss so has gained rather a large appeal with the MAMILs.
That settles it though, off to the folks for a brew on Saturday first thing.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 15:17:13 »
P.s For anyone in the area then going straight over at Middup'sturns (as it's pronounced by the locals) gets you up onto Hartcliff hill/Hartcliff road which has lovely views towards Emley Moor and some great downhill corners back to Flouch Roundabout to get onto the Woodhead Pass and over to Holme Moss.
It's a 20 minute ride to my parents, it always takes me an hour and a half 😁

Offline Froglodyte

• Bike: DL650X L0, Yamaha FJR1300A
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 15:19:40 »
The road surface is pretty good now. As you say, weekend cyclists are the bikers nightmare. Fortunately, being retired I can go out midweek and miss as many of them as possible.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 17:26:37 »
I am an avid Strines fan going back many years. This picture was from December 1986. The selective started just past The Mustard Pot pub heading towards Bradfield and finished just before the A57.
Much black ice and frost over the Strines, the picture was taken at the first downhill hairpin right.

We retired at halfway due to a lack of brakes (faded and delaminated rear shoes).

Up until 1987 road rallies were a very well kept secret and flew under the radar, how on earth we managed to get away with it for so long I'll never know.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 17:33:29 »
This one is Ringinglow hairpin in 1987. By this time I'd fitted a 2.1 Pinto, RS2000 gearbox, Capri 2.8 vented front discs with Princess 4 pot calipers and XR3 front discs and calipers to the rear axle.

It was a popular sport.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 08:35:54 »
Road rallying was a blast ............ not surprising that it doesn't really happen any more. But for a few years in the early 90's I had a lot of fun.
This is my Humber Sceptre with a Holbay tuned Holbay engine. Pokey, but not a 2.1 pinto!
Then Andrew Cowan and former Rootes works driver Rosemary Smith are presenting me with a team award for a rather gentler classic car rally in the Borders in 2000. That's Cowan's London to Sydney marathon winning car in the background which in my mind my car emulated  lol
Sorry ....... topic wander.
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 10:49:28 »
Another great video as always Froglodyte 👍

Offline TLPower

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 12:36:31 »
Indeed apologies for the hijack, I can't help myself whenever The Strines is mentioned.

@cooltshirt, I pestered my parents for the Corgi model of Cowan's car it was fab. Part of the "Golden Jacks" range with removable wheels.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314686812102?hash=item4944cbafc6:g:T0YAAOSw-m1kjz04&amdata=enc%3

Walter Rohrl.