Author Topic: Givi Airflow  (Read 15752 times)

Offline glenbee

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 Vstrom
Re: Givi Airflow
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 11:54:27 »
Quick service, ordered around 8am Thursday, selected the DHL delivery option at no extra charge, arrived Saturday morning. Well packaged up, will post some pics later.
Suzuki TS125/Honda CB125/Honda CB250/Yamaha RD200/Kawasaki ER5

Offline glenbee

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 19:23:09 »
Coupled with the Madstad this has to be the best purchase I've made for the wee.
The madstad cured the buffeting, but above 40mph with my visor open on the first notch I could see the edge of the visor vibrating slightly. At motorway speeds the wind blast was really uncomfortable. I can sit at motorway speeds now with visor open, the wind goes around me, a nice pocket of still air. Not silent, wind still flows over my shoulders, but I expect that. Added bonus that I can hear my music at the same speeds.

I have the madstad on the lowest adjustment, though middle screws and the givi airflow top screen as low as it will go. I'm 5"10' with a 31 inseam. I am now wondering whether I need the madstad bracket at all.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 19:59:22 »
Quote from: "glenbee"
I am now wondering whether I need the madstad bracket at all.

I kept mine on the madstad for adjustability. when cold and windy or rain, lift it up and adjust the angle. perfect pocket of calm. when hot and sunny, lower it and the angle and cool clean air into my lid with no buffeting. ideal
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline geekay

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 21:17:19 »
Quote from: "glenbee"
Coupled with the Madstad this has to be the best purchase I've made for the wee.
The madstad cured the buffeting, but above 40mph with my visor open on the first notch I could see the edge of the visor vibrating slightly. At motorway speeds the wind blast was really uncomfortable. I can sit at motorway speeds now with visor open, the wind goes around me, a nice pocket of still air. Not silent, wind still flows over my shoulders, but I expect that. Added bonus that I can hear my music at the same speeds.

I have the madstad on the lowest adjustment, though middle screws and the givi airflow top screen as low as it will go. I'm 5"10' with a 31 inseam. I am now wondering whether I need the madstad bracket at all.

this is good feedback - thank you.

I've added the aprillia mirrors today - nipped across to the rocket centre in blackburn as they called me to tell me they had them back in stock - I've also fitted a tap washed under each of the 4 bolts which hold the screen mounting bracket to space the screen forward a little - this has made a lot of difference - but I'm still tempted with a bigger screen - either the givi or the MRA vario.

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 08:45:43 »
the spacers are only needed on the bottom srews not all four, as it increases the angle of slope on the screen

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 10:09:03 »
Some people had good results with spacers under all the mounts to space the screen outwards to allow more airflow under it. It's different for every bike and rider combination.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 10:44:40 »
ohh :shy:  sorry didn't know about that, I'll give it a try myself  :ty:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 10:55:31 »
You can also try putting more washers at the top to make the screen more upright, though it does seem people have better results tilting it back rather than forwards. I did mine outwards and backwards, but ended up buying a Madstad eventually.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline geekay

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 21:58:40 »
so....
I've bought one of these - wasn't prepared for how big it would be! - comes in a massive box!

Picked it up from Ghostbikes in preston, they have them for £113 which was about as good as it gets price wise.

Not fitted it yet - was a little late home to start it - held it up against the std screen though, the base unit is just slightly taller and slightly wider (about 1.5  - 2 inches larger in each direction) that the std - and then there is the airflow part too. Quite sticky / hard to get the two parts to slide - is there an oil which might make that smoother? I can't see how it can be done on the move as they are.

more to follow when I fit it & try it.

Offline glenbee

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 23:44:25 »
Nice one geekay. I hope it works for you.
Mine was very stiff to slide into the slots at first, but having had it on the bike and fiddled with it a bit (this is sounding worse and worse!), I found it has freed up somewhat and slides a bit more easily now. I wouldn't adjust it while moving, but can pull over, flip up the two latches, adjust it, latch it back down and be off again without taking off my gloves.
It doesn't seem to flex/view rate a little at motorway speed though, and I am looking over it rather than through. I might try adjusting it higher just to see what it's like to look through.
I've also read somewhere about dangers of leaving after market screens exposed to direct sunlight ast Hello tend to have a magnifying effect and can heat/warp the dash. I'm not sure if it was the givi as I can't remember where I read this, but solutions like putting a cloth between on really hot days or buying a shelf for accessories to sit between the screen and the dash.
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the screen and what adjustment works best for you.

Offline geekay

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 20:25:12 »
Oooh - its nice!

I put it on this afternoon - on the middle setting of the frame - took it for a test ride - with the 'top' screen in the half-way position I am looking through it like a windscreen - it was amazing - silence on the motorway right up to, ahem, "good motorway speeds" - all with the visor open!

slight niggle - I can't actually see 'over' it at all - even sliding the 'top' screen right down it is kind of in my eye-level. Not sure if this is a problem or not is it?

this evening I've lowered the frame to the lowest position - so I can generally look over it (albeit only just) - need to test it to see if I can slide the top screen up to get the same wind protection as before and if so then I am laughing all the way to the alps at the end of this month!

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 20:36:21 »
Quote from: "geekay"
slight niggle - I can't actually see 'over' it at all - even sliding the 'top' screen right down it is kind of in my eye-level. Not sure if this is a problem or not is it?

And if it rains / the screen gets dirty, how much of the road in front of you will be invisible ..........?

Offline geekay

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 21:03:39 »
true - this is what I was thinking - but then, its no different to the std screen on highest fitting. Flies will be a worry but I can't imagine much rain will stick to the top screen at motorway speeds.

surely others look 'through' their screens do they?

g

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 21:10:13 »
I can't stand looking through a screen myself. There's always a little distortion and it messes with my eyes/head, particularly when it's dark. I want some air on my visor to get rid of the rain and with the screen too high/in my line of sight that doesn't work well. It's a particular PITA when it's raining on salted roads, you have to clean the screen before every trip (as I do with my headlights.)

On another note: if I adjust me screen properly and hold my head in a particular spot I get the rain to run up the visor, it works much better to clear the visor than when it runs down.

Offline glenbee

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 21:32:59 »
I know what you mean. You could check to see which mounts you are using where the base screen screws to the front of the bike, I understand there are three normal positions for the mounting and one "secret" higher one.

Mine is set to the middle main bracket position, lowest madstadt and lowest givi top screen position. The top of the upper screen sits just below my normal field of view, though inside my field of view when working my way through traffic and stuff. Here is a few shots of how mine looks:

Offline geekay

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 13:34:17 »
It looks like you are a bit taller than me. On the middle setting, the screen is only just below my eye-line.
However, I have now moved the screen to the lowest position on the bike. And now, I can see over the screen reasonably well. I tried it on the motorway with the givi top screen lowered and it was actually OK. Did a good job upto 65-70 ish. But then I raised the top screen to about 3/4 height and the protection was amazing! Like in a bubble of air, really impressed although at that height I am looking right through the middle of the top screen so dependant on weather and keeping it bug free to operate like this. But at least I know that I can drop it out of the way if I need to.

Offline alex wight

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 17:06:37 »
I have my one set so that I look over the top of it, as looking through it, distorts everything. The air flow is very good at all settings for me so I'm well chuffed. its all about preferences that suits everyone. Enjoy.

Offline geekay

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 21:47:32 »
I don't think the optics of the 'upper' screen are that bad - not optically perfect by any means, but if you are looking through the middle to top 1/3rd of the 'upper' screen, it is very good. and of course there is so much adjustment in the screen you can raise it to that point even from being below your vision in it's lowest position (if that makes sense!)

Offline Soapy

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 11:25:48 »
My Airflow arrived today, but I’m a bit confused.

The box had a fitting kit D3101KIT which has long screws and spacers in it. But the picture of the screen displaying how to fit the kit is a 3101DT screen.

The description on Ebay is to use the original fittings. Does anybody know which is correct.

BRAND NEW  GIVI AF3101 AIRFLOW ADJUSTABLE SLIDING WINDSCREEN FOR Suzuki V-STROM 2011-2012 (NEW SHAPE "L" MODELS):

"direct replacement - perfect factory style easy fit ( simply replace with this quality product, re-using the original fixing screws/washers/nuts of your old OEM screen)".

I want the screen to work as designed and whether or not the spacers are used will make a big difference to airflow.

Offline zimcruza

• Bike: 2016 Veek
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 12:23:03 »
Is yours the 2-piece airflow (sorry - noob at this stuff)?  If so, my bike came std with that - I can take some pics for you of mounting if you like??