Author Topic: Givi Airflow  (Read 15732 times)

Offline 10tenmen

Givi Airflow
« on: June 26, 2013, 21:00:09 »
Well I have bought the Givi Airflow AF3101 from Motorbikes & Parts using the forum discount got it for £108 saving around £20 - £25 incl delivery, read numerous reviews on here and stormtrooper in America.
I'm selling my Suzuki Vario touring screen on the for sales section if anyone is interested.

Offline Dogman

Re: Givi Airflow
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 21:51:07 »
I have the Kappa version that I got off ebay from Italy. Excellent screen, you will not be disappointed.

Offline 10tenmen

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 17:33:41 »
Fitted mine today a quick blast down the motorway 70-80 mph with the visor up its a revelation a fantastic piece of kit works great, tomorrow I'm off to Matlock Bath the weather looks good about 120 miles round trip so will update you afterwards with pics

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 19:11:17 »
I get buffeting... Have spaced out the bottom holes, but still buffeting :( Wish I was one of the people this works for!

It's alright on the low setting though, just means I get wind blast on the helmet.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 08:28:12 »
Matt, have you got the Aprillia mirrors also?

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 09:37:44 »
Yep, they helped the buffeting around my chest. But if I have the Airflow screen up high enough to deflect windblast over my head, I still get head buffeting whatever I do. I still do ride like that occasionally anyway if the weather is really bad... But if I do then I get a slight dull headache after a couple of hours.

Seems the Airflow works for some but not others, and I'm one of the unlucky ones unfortunately!

Hello ho, summer at the moment so not hugely bothered about screens right now anyway :-)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 23:23:56 »
Try my set up, original screen, lowest setting, two tap washers under each of the bottom fixings, Aprillia mirrors, no fancy jazz just fixed on where the old ones came off. Buffet has gone.

Offline geekay

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 19:54:31 »
hi - sorry to arse in - but is there a common pattern to who the tall screens work 'for' and who they don't?

Could it be rider height? - or rather height of body?

curious to know before I splash out. - I have the std screen on lowest setting and it reduces the buffeting a lot, but still there. I have std mirrors and am looking to replace those.

can I also ask - when you say tap washers under the fittings - do you mean under the metal fitting bracket or under the screen itself? (if that makes sense!)

thanks,
Graham

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 21:05:57 »
I'm 6 foot tall and have a higher seat. The aprilia mirrors and mirror extenders got rid of side helmet and shoulder buffeting. I still feel the air but no buffeting. The givi airflow with madstad lets me feel smooth air on my helmet. I'm very pleased with the results.
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 19:31:00 »
just done 3,500mls touring around greece and I have to say  I found the airflow screen just excellent ..I marked the height adjustment with a bit of felt pen so at 70-80 mph I just adjusted it up to the mark and perfect , sat in still air no buffeting ..then when it got really hot dropped it down to its lowest setting ...best screen I've ever had ...

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 19:45:32 »
Having made adjustments to my std. screen (which did improve the pillion buffeting a bit) I have now gone the whole hog and ordered a Givi airflow. I hope it turns up before we go down to the Alps.
Also gone for the Aprila mirrors
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline glenbee

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 Vstrom
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 20:37:42 »
Hi Hugo
Do you mind me asking where you ordered it from? I'm looking to get one myself at the end of the month.
Thanks
Suzuki TS125/Honda CB125/Honda CB250/Yamaha RD200/Kawasaki ER5

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 22:02:19 »
Yes! or should I say no I don't mind. Though I won't vouch for the service until it arrives,

I followed the advice from 10tenman who said:

"........... are very good
the site is http://www.motorbikesandparts.co.uk/ the code is for 10% off, the coupon code is V-strom92."

Thank you 10tenman.

Ride Coordinator

Offline glenbee

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 22:39:20 »
lol, thanks, definitely on my shopping list.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 22:30:46 »
A brief update.

The new screen arrived today so I removed the standard screen from the top setting/bolt holes and used those same holes to mount the new one. As I had no pillion tonight I tried it with the screen slid down to its lowest setting.
It's brilliant I was doing 70 with my visor up!
Money well spent, now I will have to do a pillion turbulence test and report back.

Ride Coordinator

Offline glenbee

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 06:23:39 »
That's excellent news Hugo. Sounds like money well spent.
I ordered mine yesterday, how long was delivery time from placing your order?

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 08:34:43 »
Ordered on the 19th (out of stock) yet still managed to get it here by the 25th!

Right just got back from a pillion turbulence test with the screen about a quarter of the way up on its sliders and didn't get any complaints. I haven't yet received the Aprila mirrors: I find it hard to believe that they can make much further improvement (I'll let you know).

Ride Coordinator

Offline geekay

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 13:14:39 »
this is a good thread - very useful.

still though - it doesn't seem to be 100% conclusive that the give airflow (or the MRA touring, which I guess is the 'other' most popular screen" will definately fix my turbulence / buffetting issues does it?

Has anyone regretted the purchase of a Givi? - I'm seriously tempted - the price is high-ish, but I've resigned to it - I need to optimise comfort for my planned alpine tour which will see the first day being a 400 mile motorway-fest.

at the moment I have the std screen on the lowest setting and buffetting is much reduced - but also, you can't ride with visor up - it's just direct airflow. The std screen at medium setting allows still air below about 50 - gets noisy at 50 - 60 and then unbearable buffeting above 60 - clearly no good for a hi-speed motorway run.

will I regret buying the givi airflow?

(I know this can't be answered by the way - I'm just looking for re-assurance that it does "something"!!)

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 13:25:35 »
Personally, if I have the Airflow high enough that I can ride with my visor up, the head buffeting is bad enough to give me a slight headache after a couple of hours. I've swapped the mirrors and tried spacing out the screen mounts, but still the same.

On the other hand, I now have it set in such a way that I can ride with the visor cracked open slightly for more air at speeds of up to maybe 40mph and I don't get any buffeting. And I couldn't do that with the stock screen.

So... do I regret buying it? Hmm... I don't know. It didn't do what I hoped it would do for me, but it has improved my riding comfort a little due to being able to ride with visor cracked open in hot weather.

That's a tough one. I probably wouldn't buy it if I had my time again, but I like it enough to keep it and not resell it.

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 18:23:19 »
its pug ugly but ever since I bought it I have ridden visor up except at motorway speeds....