Author Topic: Clattering wing mirror  (Read 1004 times)

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Clattering wing mirror
« on: September 22, 2021, 11:34:03 »
Morning All

Weird one with the Vee. I have an awful clattering coming from my right hand wing mirror which has only developed recently.
I can't see anything wrong from the outside and the glass isn't loose in the casing but I get a horrendous clunking rattle going over rough ground or if I tap the rear of the mirror casing hard with my hand. Bolts at the bottom of the mirror arm are tight and the arm doesn't rotate, the mirror is also still reasonably tight on the ball joint.
Anything that can be opened or checked or is it just replace the mirror?

Ta

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: Clattering wing mirror
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 16:53:02 »
JBL speaker up-grade, you really didn't need an excuse. Mine work significantly better playing through a different app rather than my original one.  :lala:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Online Rixington43

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 20:09:36 »
It's still on the cards but the mirror could cut through a stadium PA at the moment.
On a related note though, do you find the bigger speakers effect battery life at all, we have 1 Packtalk Bold JBL in our group and their battery seems to drain much faster than the old Packtalk, can't decide if it's the speaker upgrade or the new unit though.

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 21:43:06 »
Had the same with my left mirror. Had to replace it with a second hand one.

Online Rixington43

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 22:50:51 »
Cheers, I feared that might be the case but thought I check with those that know.
I'll keep an eye out for a tidy second hand one and then maybe see if I can get the glass out of this one to investigate.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 04:56:25 »
I haven't noticed any reduction in battery life, it's still going strong after 12 hours.

If the mirror is so noisy think of it as a safety feature, you know, like a loud exhaust.

Oh, wait.....
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 08:23:57 »
If it was mine I'd drill ahole in the back and inject expanding foam in there. If you're going to bin it what harm would there be?  If it does the trick I'd then superglue a black plastic cap screw cover over the hole.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Online Rixington43

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 08:52:33 »
Good call, I had also wondered about soaking it in very warm but not boiling water to see if I could get the glass out and attack it from the front. I have plenty of silicone and foam though so I'll add that to the options for attack.

Cheers blokes

Online Rixington43

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 12:05:24 »
Went with replacing the mirror in the end but may experiment with the old one just in case the other side comes out in sympathy.
£12 for the mirror from Boonstra, £18 postage but no import charges or VAT on top. I'll take that vs the price of a new one from the UK ;)

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 13:37:57 »
I recycled my old one by cable tieing it to an old 1m length of wood so I can see my oil level whilst sat on my bike. I don't have a  decent flat  surface out back where I park my bike so this is ideal.

Online Rixington43

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 12:48:29 »
Resurrecting purely for reference.

Well, as I suspected, the left hand mirror came out in sympathy and failed 6 months or so after the right.
Rather than source another Vee mirror which would likely be old and tired anyway, I took a punt and picked up a breakers yard set from a 2017 DL650. The part code is different but the lever clamps they thread into are unchanged so I figured they'd fit and they looked the same in the photos. Few scrapes on the plastics but the glass is spotless on both and they were less than the 1 Vee mirror I bought before.
They do fit, they are the same size and position mirror but they have a much better attachment and adjustment system at the bottom. Slightly smaller diameter arms and slimmed down bolts/bosses so we'll see if they vibrate any more than the originals but another case of Vee parts becoming rarer but other generations of 650/1000 being readily available.