Author Topic: Zip off trouser?  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Savak

• Bike: DL650 L7
Zip off trouser?
« on: June 10, 2021, 10:42:53 »
Is there such a thing as zip off textile trousers similar to the kind hill walkers use?
In these days of warmer weather  and full armoured clothing it would be nice to strip off a bit!

Regards
Graeme

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Zip off trouser?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 10:52:34 »
Do you mean ones that unzip at the knee? I'm not aware of any for motorbikes. However you can get mesh jackets/trousers to let more air in.

Offline Nelson

• Bike: DL650XT L7
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 11:22:10 »
I have a pair of adventure trousers I bought somewhere in Canada - need to check make when I get home from work. They have mesh air vent panels on shin and thigh, plus zip off above the knee, otherwise armoured on knees and hips. I was always a little worried about the strength of the small zips used to keep the legs attached in the vent of a spill. I've managed to completely destroy a pair of leather riding trousers including ripping the fly zip apart at the stitching in the past.
I seem to recall the shop also had a similar pair on offer which had a membrane waterproof lining, so there's more than one manufacturer out there.
You'll never find yourself flying down the road wishing you were wearing less protective clothing.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 11:45:35 »
You might want to google how long it takes asphalt to get through skin to bone at, say, 30mph.  :shock: Obviously your choice of course, but would there be any point in only protecting the top half of your lower half, and if not then just opt for normal shorts?

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 14:05:47 »
Does seem to defeat the purpose of wearing them at all: maybe turn kevlar jeans into Daisy Dukes & pair with a waistcoat to go the whole hog?
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 15:55:55 »
Nick, that Sir is one for the Quotes Museum!

I have various Kevlar jeans, in various thicknesses and resistances. But you won't find any motorbike gear with zip off arms and legs as the zip will be a weak point in the event of a spill.

I often just wear my well vented textile trousers without the waterproof liner out (goes in top box, this is Wales I live in!) and shorts underneath during the warm weather.

The Kevlar jeans are great on the move, but warm when you stop and most are not in anyway water resistant.

Mesh gear is another option but still not waterproof for the UK.  :rain:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Savak

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 19:35:05 »
I wasn't thinking of riding in shorts, did that in Corfu decades ago before even considered riding and wouldn't do it again not that anything happened. Was just considering if they were available to use when having reached a destination and not wanting to sweat in the full gear.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 20:38:23 »
SHMBO & myself have toured in some warmer climates, even the UK can get warm, occasionally, and our opinion is, while you are riding most of the time you are comfortable enough, when you stop is the problem!
Fifteen/twenty minutes for a coffee/water/photo stop we can cope with but if we decide we want a 'walk around' for a longer period in hot weather we have shorts  'T' shirts & lighter shoes in the top of a pannier ready to wear. We are more than happy to find a corner of a car park or similar to change into.
The 'biking gear' is chained to the bike. We use long bicycle style chains threaded through the arms & legs of the bike gear onto the bike.
We wouldn't do that in a town or city but then we wouldn't be in those places anyway!    :)
In the evenings we find somewhere to stay close to a bar/restaurant, park & leave the bike, change into our 'evening attire' and walk.   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline vstroman

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 22:21:43 »
Better to sweat than bleed, what you wear is up to you, in very hot weather I think mesh gear is a must but it's not easy being prepared for all weathers on a tour. zip off trousers I've only seen for casual wear, which are a very good idea being multi purpose.

Offline suki

• Bike: DL1000A
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 20:30:18 »
BMW summer trousers. been around a few years, now on version 3. Better late than never. Don't trust mesh for summer.