Author Topic: Glee rad cover - sneak peek prototype  (Read 17186 times)

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Site Donator
Glee rad cover - sneak peek prototype
« on: November 16, 2013, 10:35:28 »
blokes, a few of the lads have been asking about a rad cover for the new Glee - my current ones don't fit.

Andy as always has been a star with helping me and here`s a first off cover fitted - its not the final design but it is somewhere near - if we have missed anything please feel free to say!

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: Glee rad cover - sneak peek prototype
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 17:35:30 »
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline stibbs

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 17:44:45 »
Yep, me likes. Enough to order one when you finished.... :thumb:

Offline glenbee

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 Vstrom
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 18:12:05 »
Wow, that looks like a very professional job. How much are these likely to be.
Thanks
Suzuki TS125/Honda CB125/Honda CB250/Yamaha RD200/Kawasaki ER5

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 18:23:02 »
That does look very good. Nice job.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline S2Rgar

• Bike: DL1000 L9 Black - DL650 AL5 Red (SOLD) - DL650 AL3 Grey (SOLD) Suzuki GSX-S1000
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 18:24:57 »
Yes I'd have one of those too  :thumb:

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 18:42:40 »
+1 :thumb:

Offline Fabman66

• Bike: DL650
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 19:24:44 »
If the price is right , you can count me in  :ty:

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Site Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 20:04:17 »
blokes, thanks for the support - its not a fraction less than what I got years ago from you lot  :ty:

The price will be RIGHT - it won`t reflect the true cost (never does - see how much it costs to get a UK craftsman to make a rad cover to order compared to the stack them high stuff we are used to from China).

So what I will do is price it lower than the best on the market - that way I know no one will feel that they aren`t getting a good deal!

So, for now you will have to leave the price with me but it won`t be anything other than fair - don't forget that very sadly a HUGE 20% (I wish I made 20%) will be in VAT.

So, geezers, in your opinion what's the best on the market for quality?

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 20:33:38 »
glenbee said:
Thanks
 Heh! that's because he is a professional! :)

Looks brilliant, Mark, a real enhancement :thumb:  Those ones with the flappy doors look even better!

Trouble is, yours is the best quality - you need to look at the 2nd best on the market!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline crazyhorse

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 22:05:38 »
Hi

I'll have one as well.

Crazyhorse

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 06:29:48 »
Just what I've been looking for, one for me please  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 12:33:22 »
On Andy's photos it looks like the bolt in the bottom isn't long enough to make it into the nylon on the nut. Either a longer bolt is needed or a normal nut and using Loktite. I don't have a Glee, but I'd be worried about having it secured with plastic cable ties at the top. I'd still buy it if I had a Glee, I'd just use metal ties instead of the plastic ones.

Other than that it looks great, keep up the good work, you know we appreciate it and recommend your stuff to anyone that asks :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 12:52:18 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
On Andy's photos it looks like the bolt in the bottom isn't long enough to make it into the nylon on the nut.

That was my doing, it was a temporary fixing while testing the prototype. The bolt needs to be an M6 x 25 (which mine is now)  :thumb:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 12:55:26 »
I'd flip it around as well, so the nut is at the back, but you're much more worried about looks than I am so you probably already did it  :)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Site Donator
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 14:29:14 »
Well, after some research one of the best available seems to be the SW Motech one - it doesn`t seem as if it`s made from stainless steel, nor hand finished and the logo certainly isn`t as detailed as mine and that retails at £77 plus P&P.

So if I do mine at £60 including VAT (plus P&P) I`m kind of thinking that this is good value? Its also similar to the prices of the other guards which have been the same price for a few years now.

It doesn`t represent the true or proper price of making them one at a time to order (by a UK craftsman, mostly sober.....) but when compared to high volume prices (which the SW Motech one will be) I`m hoping that £60 is well received.

I guess I am trying to justify the price  - those who know me know that I`m just as concerned about my  reputation as I am the quality of the stuff I make. I don't do what I do for a day job otherwise I would have to charge a lot more I think (and few have said rightly so) so I do have the privilege of pricing at a very fair rate to the benefit of fellow bikes (and ensuring I meet my costs and can afford lots of wine...).

And, of course, any of my stuff comes with a lifetime guarantee - no bollocks or BS or small print or anything - at anytime if it fails, breaks, snaps or whatever its replaced FOC. And even if it gets a bit `manky` send it back to me and I will refurb it for free and if its beyond refurb then I`ll make you a new one also FOC. If you don't know me and think this is just `hype` please ask some of us who has allowed me to maintain my reputation.

If you need any replacement fasteners I`ll send them to you FOC (and they will be stainless) or if you need `owt else (within reason - I still say no to Man Love  :violence-smack: ) I`ll do it because I still believe in this loose fraternity of bikers where the majority of us will still stop on the roadside to help a fellow biker (I still do it) - the only thing I will ask for is that the postage is paid for - anything else is done because I want to do it and I can.

So, with all that said - £60 is the proposed price - if you think its fair and represents good value from a British Craftsman who will stand by his stuff then that's the price it will be.

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Site Donator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 14:35:45 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
glenbee said:
Thanks

Looks brilliant, Mark, a real enhancement :thumb:  Those ones with the flappy doors look even better!

Trouble is, yours is the best quality - you need to look at the 2nd best on the market!

Kind words fella and thank you - the Louvre style doesn`t seem to be very popular with the lads so think before you buy one (if you do - you are under no pressure) but if you do and you don't like it when you get it I`ll make you another `standard` one with my compliments of course  :)

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Site Donator
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 14:45:42 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
On Andy's photos it looks like the bolt in the bottom isn't long enough to make it into the nylon on the nut. Either a longer bolt is needed or a normal nut and using Loktite. I don't have a Glee, but I'd be worried about having it secured with plastic cable ties at the top. I'd still buy it if I had a Glee, I'd just use metal ties instead of the plastic ones.

Other than that it looks great, keep up the good work, you know we appreciate it and recommend your stuff to anyone that asks :thumb:

Let me know if you need any longer fasteners for your bike (even though you haven`t got a glee) - you don't have to buy my cover - I`ll send you one if you need a longer one (or a replacement) for anything pal as I`m oh so aware that sometimes the fastener quality can be challenging on the `Strom. don't go trying to replace a chewed up OEM one when I can pop a stainless one in the post  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Site Donator
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 14:49:00 »
Btw I`ve changed the design and put two extra strengthening flanges on each side of the cover - its because Andy made an observation about the possibility of the bottom RH corner `flapping` in the wind - I made it yesterday, will post it tmoz and await what Andy thinks.

If it is an improvement it will stay on the final variant.

BTW, its nice to be back doing stuff for you blokes again, its one of the nicest forums I`ve had the pleasure to get involved with.

Offline cymarcbikeparts

• Site Donator
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 15:29:15 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
glenbee said:
Thanks

Touratech £133.84 mate - just found it - they also do a lot of stuff for the Beemers, most of it good quality.

I try to compete with their standard on the beemer stuff - not sure what its like with the strom gear but TT are a little naughty with delivery times and customer support but being who they are I guess a little hubris has sneaked in.........

But anyway IMHO its good kit they mostly do