Author Topic: The moaning old git thread  (Read 319650 times)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
Re: The moaning old git thread
« Reply #2780 on: June 08, 2021, 08:10:34 »
The garden has gone into hiding under a meter of grass and nettles. I have a petrol powered strimmer but it really is a bit noisy. My neighbours who are very nice, have a small child and 'the bloke' is a nightworker. So I decided to invest in an electric Flymo. My local Argos didn't have one within 50 miles of me and other large retail outlets are at least 30 miles away, So I went on fleabay and ordered one. That was Saturday and it arrived Yesterday Very good so far. The machine fitted together OK although the instructions are very poor. I set it up and attacked the grass to try it out. No.. it was making too much of a racket. On inspection the strimmer line was cutting through the lower guard. Then I noticed there is no line trimmer. I went on line (no pun intended) and youtube shows how to do line replacement and another shows guard replacement. It was then I could see there should be a metal post, probably inserted from the top, protruding down ready to cut the excess strimmer line and preventing damage to the guard. Not only is the metal pin/ post missing, but so is the hole it is supposed to go through. I have contacted the seller and I await his reply. If I have to send it back there will be another problem as it comes in three parts in a box that is far too small for the assembled unit to go back in and  oh! yes the thing clicks together and there is no hint in the instructions on any means of getting it apart.  'Flymo' made by 'Husqvana' somewhere in China ( of course) I can guess how the Chinese recycle the unused pins but I can't see how they use all the unmade holes!  Any clues send to Iamreallypissedoffwithflymoqualitycontrol@spittingfeathers.com
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #2781 on: June 08, 2021, 12:04:02 »
You missed the point Brockett, this is an upgrade opportunity. Find a bit of metal in the shed (see "box of stuff that may come in one day") and get a new hole from ebay through which to fasten it. Hours of satisfaction after a job well done. Either that or you've been well done...!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2782 on: June 08, 2021, 12:28:16 »
Don't raise a complaint, they'll charge you for the extra plastic where the hole isn't 

Online MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2783 on: June 08, 2021, 21:07:23 »
That email bounced Dave.  Can you check it's correct?
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline colin

• Bike: DL650 L6. v-strom 650. BMW R100rs. Harley Dyna 2000. Triumph Bonneville T100
« Reply #2784 on: June 10, 2021, 18:22:16 »
mechanical moan.. Why have they stopped putting drain plugs in forks.
It's a service item. you shouldn't have to dismantle the front end just to change fork oil. I don't know if you could use one of those vacuum suckers for putting down car dip stick holes. My old BMW r100 has got a small bolt in the top fork nut to put oil back in so you don't have to undo the fork top nut.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2785 on: June 10, 2021, 22:30:00 »
The seller is insisting that I have to provide suitable packaging ( a big box and bubble wrap) because I am not using the original packaging even though I have told them the item will not fit back in the original box. They have arranged to a DPD van to collect the item on Monday next (With dire warnings as to my resposibility to ensure it is safely packaged.) I messaged them to request they send me a suitable box but they seem to have not understood that. Their next message directed me to buy a suitable box and bubble wrap from a local hardware store. So I told them that there is no such hardware store around here. If there had been a local hardware store I'd have bought the bloody thing from them and saved myself all this hassle.
I wonder how much it will cost them to send a DPD courier for the box and then find there is no box.  I can buy the defective part from "Espares" for £17. and then maybe give these tossers a seriously honest review of their customer service.

Does anyone know if there is a time limit on contacting Paypal and getting my money back?

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #2786 on: June 10, 2021, 22:51:13 »
You have 180 days from the transaction date to open a case. I just had them find in my favour on seriously wrongly described wood turning chisels I bought (250mm long instead of the advertised 460mm).
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2787 on: June 11, 2021, 22:02:05 »
I hate that you have to pay postage for returned items, more so if they are faulty.
Definitely raise a case with Paypal (may well be covered on your credit card too?)
We had to return a Christmas present for one of the grand kids earlier this year (the postage was covered) but it was supposed to be returned in the original packaging. That, along with other Christmas cardboard packaging, that was 'dismantled' in the garage, was used. The item was packaged very securely, lots of cheap packaging tape, with a piece of the original, to show what it was, on the outside, easily visible. The cost was returned.  :thumb: 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline vstroman

« Reply #2788 on: June 11, 2021, 22:35:53 »
Paypal will cover your return shipping costs as well, just look through the transaction you'll see the button for it there.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #2789 on: June 11, 2021, 22:41:19 »
Paypal grounds for seeking restitution are limited though: you either didn't receive something, the product was significantly not as described, unauthorised activity, or a billing issue. Is the cutter missing significant enough? Worth a shot though.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2790 on: June 11, 2021, 22:55:10 »
The seller is paying for return shipping costs. My dispute is that they say I must provide a suitable secure box and packing that will ensure the item is not damaged in transit ( DPD ). I contend that the original packaging is too small for the assembled item and the seller must provide me with a suitable box and packing. Despite my message to them explaing the problem they have messaged me again this time with the advice " just use a suitable container". YES and if the item is damaged they will say I did not use a suitable container.  These people are complete tossers as far as customer relations is concerned.  "Buy It Direct Group" Never again.They are just finding new ways to trot out their unreasonable conditions of sale/ returns.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2791 on: June 12, 2021, 05:36:17 »
Would it be simpler to just cut the line to the required length?

And I bought a tumble drier from "buy it" franchisees. Total wankers.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2792 on: June 12, 2021, 09:48:42 »
This is the box it came in and this is as small as the machine will go after being assembled. 

I complained to ebay and they answered "case resolved post it to seller". BLOODY IDIOTS if I had the packaging I would send it back. EBAY are a waste of space on this one and  are no help at all.
I will try the importers next although as I said before I can buy the defective part from e-spares for £17

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #2793 on: June 12, 2021, 17:56:16 »
Dave, have you asked the supplier for a discount for the cost of repair?
I got £40 back (cost of item £80) when one of the grand kids electric scooter broke after a couple of weeks. All it needed was a new non locking switch fitted, sourced from e-bay for £2.80 & took me 15 minutes to fit it.
Obviously the supplier thought I had no electrical or mechanical knowledge and that I had a quote from a 'repairer' for £35 to fix it.   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2794 on: June 12, 2021, 19:08:48 »
I hadn't considered that Mick. Good idea though.   I can fix it myself for nothing or get a new part. But they just do their Dalek impersonation and ignore everything I say. I raised a complaint through ebay and two hours later got another message from them that "the problem was being raised to a senior manager to resolve".
They have managers! who knew that?

Offline colin

• Bike: DL650 L6. v-strom 650. BMW R100rs. Harley Dyna 2000. Triumph Bonneville T100
« Reply #2795 on: June 12, 2021, 19:27:39 »
I saw a tv advert the other day which got my back up,  The Ford motor company making a electronic piece of junk and putting a mustang pony badge on the front, what were they thinking??? I should have a v8 or straight 6.  almost as ridiculous as putting a beak on a v-strom,

Online MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2796 on: June 12, 2021, 20:02:21 »
Almost, but only almost.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2797 on: June 13, 2021, 08:20:11 »
Ignore the badges just think where it's made China. So then..... Just a Red Flag with a yellow star. Is it true they renamed their capital Ka'ching?

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2798 on: June 14, 2021, 17:46:30 »
The flymo saga continues: A PDP van pulled up outside my bungalow. I was in my front facing garage and saw it. The man in the van did not get out, did not phone me on land line or mobile.He just sat there with his engine running. After 5 minutes he drove away. I reported this to the seller by email at 1545. They sent me an email at 1630 to say the PDP van would call to pick up the item between 1415 and 1515 and I should let them know if it was not collected.
They really are complete tossers.  On the brightside I have now given up with them. I drilled a small hole in the sheild and inserted a thin self tapping countersunk wood screw. It works a treat and trims the line correctly.  But and changing my profile.....

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #2799 on: June 14, 2021, 18:07:52 »
Well at least they found your home; that's an improvement.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator