Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Strommerboy

• Bike: DL 650 k9 with 43000 miles
Travel Insurance
« on: May 09, 2023, 15:51:18 »
Hi. I'm planning a tour to France next month on my trusty 09 Strom. My wife will be travelling as pillion. I'm looking for a decent company to provide travel insurance. This whole area seems to be a bit of a minefield with many policies full of legalise when it comes to covering travel on a motorcycle.
Can anyone point me in the right direction by recommending a travel insurance company for motorcyclists. Perhaps I should add that my wife and I are both in our 60's.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
Re: Travel Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 16:47:39 »
Not sure what's changed from when I did my tours but all I had was 90 days EU bike cover with Carole Nash which came with my policy,  this included repatriation for the vehicle and both of us.
To add to this I bought a standard single trip holiday insurance for us both with admiral insurance.

Now, whether this is correct or not. I informed admiral that my mode of transport was a motorcycle,  they said to me and this was checked with management that it didn't matter due to me having separate insurance for us both on the bike.

So, if we had bike related incident, the bike insurance covered us and any other eventualities were covered by our standard holiday insurance.

Outside of the EU is another headache ....
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 18:24:20 »
We're the same as kwackboy and have been on all our trips overseas, breakdown cover with the bike insurance (BeMoto the last two years) and just a 'standard' travel insurance to cover us both, also Admiral but an annual policy as it then covers us for trips in this country too, so long as you've got accommodation booked.
I don't see why riding a motorbike overseas is a problem, it's no different to taking a car.
The only stipulation I've ever seen on travel insurance is about hiring a motorcycle when it needs to be under 125cc but I know you can hire bigger motorcycles all over the world so there must be a way around it?
Maybe look at a few insurers and give them a call to get answers to your questions.

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 18:45:49 »
If I remember correctly,  the only issue I had was insuring my camping gear.

My bike insurance (Carole Nash) wouldn't have any of it and our Admiral holiday insurance wouldn't insure my camping gear if it was stolen while unattended, work that one out ... :shrug: :crazy:

Anyway, as long as our bike and ourselves were covered we were fine, the camping gear we can replace.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 18:49:08 »
We had an M and S policy until recently, it covered bike travel. Switched to another provider this year because M and S were getting daft on price. The new insurer probably wouldn't be suitable for yourselves, it's employment specific.
As a new customer I would try M and S.
Upt.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 20:19:26 »
Tried a quote with M&S…..Annual Multi European, just me, no medical issues to disclose…….£174!😱

I’ve got my bike insurance, breakdown cover I just need Travel Insurance that covers me for touring on my bike……and it’s above 125cc.

I haven’t had to get Travel Insurance for about 3 years, and it’s still not a simple exercise.

When I ask ‘Do you cover Motorcycle touring on my own bike, leaving from the UK and returning to the UK’? Yes they say, bikes below 125cc.🤦‍♂️

I know some adventurous types have done it, but I don’t fancy going to Italy on a 125cc.

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 20:28:53 »
I have just used Carole Nash Insurance.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline Phild

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 21:52:05 »
I’ll give them a go.👍

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 21:59:30 »
I use a company called coverwise for annual travel cover (I ski multiple times so use their winter cover on their silver level policy). Looking at their documentation, motorcycling is covered with no capacity limit, they just state, as expected, that your bike isn't covered and neither is any liability in an accident.

Offline Phild

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 22:01:57 »
Just done a quote with Carole Nash……Standard £120, Premium £146.

I’ll give Coverwise a try.👍

Offline Phild

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 22:27:56 »
Coverwise….£55.23….another job off the list.👍👍