Author Topic: V Strom 650 security.  (Read 4456 times)

Offline nickoff

• Bike: DL650XT
V Strom 650 security.
« on: March 15, 2019, 14:28:49 »
Hi all. Having just purchased a V Strom 650 xt 2017 model, I'm about to start wading through various insurance quotes :-(. Does anyone know if there is a factory fitted security system on the bike? I can't find anything in the owners manual about it.
Thanks for any help, Nick.
I don't drink anymore, unfortunately I don't drink any less either. 😞

Offline Paz324

• Bike: CB1000RAJ
Re: V Strom 650 security.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 14:35:53 »
It has an immobiliser linked to coded keys but usually you don't list factory fitted security unless it was an optional extra.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 14:38:59 »
You wouldn't want to have any bits nickoff your bike  :shy:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 14:51:15 »
I'd still tell them it's got a chipped key and the bike is useless without it
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 18:13:02 »
The call centre folk just read questions off a card. So tell them its a factory fit imobiliser or they'll tick the 'no' box.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline nickoff

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 20:05:26 »
You wouldn't want to have any bits nickoff your bike  :shy:

Dooh!

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 20:39:34 »
Factory fitted immobiliser is an option on some of the comparison sites. Also, did yours include the free datatag that manufacturers all started offering with new bikes? If so list that too.

If you use disc locks etc get a quote with/without to see what the difference is. If you say you use a disc lock, technically you should be using it every time you leave your bike, such as going to pay for petrol. See if any difference in premium (if any) is worth the hassle.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 21:51:32 »
I'd be wary about declaring the disk lock. I think when I checked in retrospect it made almost no difference to the premiums, but I declared it, and now I have to use it every time the bike is parked or risk a reduced payout (can't remember the exact terms - it might just be they double the excess, though I have a vague recollection it might be they decline to pay out at all for theft if it's not fitted). Either way, it's a pain in the arse to remember to take it and fit it on every single little trip. Pop to the shop for a newspaper - take and fit the lock. Drop in to see a mate for a cup of tea - take and fit the lock. Etc. <sigh>.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 02:07:32 »
The inclusion of the immobiliser is important as some markets (inc Canada) don’t have one for some reason, so it would be necessary to add a tick for EU supplied bikes.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 10:34:12 »
hello Nick, having the same model and year I went through all that palaver, too. Usually on the phone you say, yes, it has a factory-fitted SAIS immobiliser (which it does). Then, they pause, aand ask if its Suzuki type one or two. To which the only answer is 'Fecked if I know'. Nowhere that I found does it define it any more than that!
But the brochure for that year does say ''SAIS - Suzuki Advanced Immobiliser System - An electronic id system in the owners key to prevent unauthorised people from starting the engine''

"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline nickoff

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 11:12:35 »
Cheers everybody, some good replies there. As mentioned, when filling out the forms online they ask which category etc is the security system, so I started to phone around instead. Not mentioned the disk lock. So far the quotes are pretty reasonable, except the one from my present insurance company of course ;-). To get the business there and then one company gave me a good price and before I'd answered they said they could knock another 20 quid off if I agreed to go with them. Just one more company to try, Hastings, then will get it sorted.
Thanks everyone.
Nick.