Author Topic: AlpineStars Toucan GTX boot  (Read 4496 times)

Offline mjc506

AlpineStars Toucan GTX boot
« on: February 04, 2014, 14:12:27 »
Until recently, I've been very happy with my AlpineStars Scout boot - it's waterproof (although needs reproofing every so often), warm, and comfortable enough to walk miles in off the bike. However, the protection, although really very good, isn't quite enough for me (imo, of course).

So... new boots! I was looking for a waterproof MX boot (ie, fantastic protection, but dry enough for the winter commutes into work) and of course found very little. Dialling back the protection resulted in more choice, but then I was no better off than with the Scouts. I even toyed with the idea of one of the MX boots with removable booties that could be waterproofed, but that seems a no-goer.

There were, however, two options I found which looked like they may suit me. Neither claim to be a protecting as an MX boot, but both were Goretex, and both seemed to have good toe, foot and ankle protection.

AlpineStars Toucan, and the Sidi Adventure:

I visited the closest dealer to try both on. I have a reasonably wide foot, but nothing too freakish <!-- s:haha: -->:haha:<!-- s:haha: -->

Straight away, the Toucans fit me well. It's somewhat strange coming from a softer boot, but I feel very protected in them. The sole is incredibly stiff, and the boot 'hugs' your foot quite firmly (not tight) around the ankle, but leaves the toe box quite roomy. The top of the boot is quite high, and it closes with two clips (which work very well) and a large velcro flap. The Toucans have a 'faux hinge' on the outside of the ankle (compared to a 'real' hinge on the Sidis) but this seemed to work better, and there was very good (much better than the Sidis) crush protection across the ankle.

The Adventures on the other hand were very tight across the foot (Sidi's are traditionally narrow) and the boot just looked too dainty! Although the hinge and plastic plating looked good, I found the boot still quite soft.

Much as I hate to admit it, I then went home and ordered the Toucans from the internet (I know, but saving over £100.00....)

1. First Impressions/Unboxing Impressions

The boots arrived in a large box, which was nicely decorated, and was well packed. Manuals/stickers/etc were included.

2. Initial Setup/Installation

The fit is good as expected, and they don't take too long to break in. Buckles worked nicely out of the box, but don't look like they'll work loose.

3. Real World Testing (how did it perform)

After ~500miles, they're still comfortable on the bike. Walking off the bike isn't quite as good as the Scouts, but still very comfortable. Besides, it's not what they're meant for! The stiffness of the boot means you may need to adjust gear/rear brake pedals.

4. Specs & Other noteworthy facts

Full Goretex, so ''water proof for life'' which is nice. Replacable sole, and generous application of plastic armour over full grain leather means they should last forever!

5. Tester's Opinion (summary)

Exactly what I wanted. Still very comfortable to ride and walk in, completely waterproof (unless the water comes over the top of the boot...) and they'll protect me much better if the bike lands on top of me.

6. Star Rating

:star: :star: :star: :star: 4 star = better than expected with some nice extras/features

If this lasts as well as they look like they will, I'll upgrade these to 5 stars <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

7. Pictures.

Out of the box, they look a little new and shiny:

but now with a bit of 'weathering' they look much better <!-- s:auto-dirtbike: -->:auto-dirtbike:<!-- s:auto-dirtbike: -->
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]