Author Topic: Confession to make  (Read 13182 times)

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
Re: Confession to make
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 23:08:26 »
Snap Rusty  :thumb:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline Normsthename

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 03:07:25 »
but it's noted as a recall for the UK in Haynes
You’ll be able to take into the Kawasaki dealer for a free modification then!  :grin:
Nice project :thumb:
I would love to do a project bike from my youth.
Have the know how but nowhere to do it  :fix:

Andy

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 07:53:48 »
I have a bike from my youth... being a few years younger than the average here  :dance: My options were a bit more crap. I was aiming at jelly mould SV650 or CB500 but ended up with an XJ600n :bawl:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QhSzSMry4RpBiLzBA

Forgetting about the Cx500 as that was made 3 years before me.

More pictures please  :lala:
 :text-worthless:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 19:53:47 »
Update as of today. Some pics too mr diver.....

Known fact when I bought the bike was the gear change lever didn't return to position, hence a spring is broken. I did ride the bike and had to return the lever with my foot. The engine has to come out to dismantle the external shift mechanism. I've put the engine on it's side ready to use my impact (manual) driver to remove the side casing. (top pic.)

When I removed the alternator the pivot side bolt hole was....... well....missing. A bike club mate over here will weld it back up an drill/tap a new bolt hole. (2nd pic.) That one was a surprise.

Third major intervention is the 'Uni'Trak' linkage the lower arm and dogbones linking the monoshock to the swing arm. (3rd pic.) The lower arm is seized and I need to replace the needle roller bearings and will do the dog bone bearings too. The swing arm bearings were free and greased but I will take a second look there.

On a bright note the rear wheel bearings are fine, brakes have been recently attended to so just a minor service required there as far as I can see. I've a set of standard exhausts to replace the awful bodged pipes and end cans which came with the bike. I might dump the standard (tired) monoshock and put a Hagon unit on in view of the suspension work required.

When I have the rear sorted I'll look at the front wheel, suspension and anti-dive 'thingy' but at the moment I've got enough to think about.

BTW, acetone melts latex gloves.......  :grin:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 19:34:41 »
Unfortunately the project has come to a halt. The gear change mechanism doesn't function properly because the post it pivots on is broken off (and not a return spring). More to follow.  :GRR:

Spot the difference.       :eusa-doh:

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 19:46:46 »
Ouch!

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 20:37:55 »
Oh bugger...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2018, 20:39:26 »
On eBay right now...

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 20:57:02 »
Thanks TP. I've been looking around. I have to facture in the location where I am too. There is little over here as owners slowly grind their bikes into nothing, hence the great surprise to find a big bike for the price of a moped (here, £400....?). Yes, the chance is all mine though, I know.

It started as a project and I'm looking to continue without enormous expense.  :icon_wink:

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 19:35:46 »
I've run through my head what is involved on three fronts:

1) A total split down has consequences involving crankcases, a full gasket kit running at €125 last time I looked, any number of studs/ bolts, locating pins and anything else that might turn up! It is also a skilled operation which I'm confident to take on but I'm not an expert. (I have tackled this before.....long before..... when it was my only mode of transport.) I anticipate costs possibly up to €500 and perhaps doing things that aren't necessary on the basis of "if it ain't broken then don't fix it".

2) A replacement engine could be the solution. Relatively cheaper than the unknown costs and hassle of the above, complete ones are around for approx. £200.......... plus delivery! I think it is £100 to ship one. Not totally fool proof as there may be faults or repairs to be made too but at least there's an engine of spare parts to choose from.....either one! Also not free of hidden extras.

3) Simply make do and mend. I've spoken to my brother who has 50 year's experience of renovations and rebuilds including welding parts on engines (he was a hands on metal worker). He has shown me some excellent results from some of his projects.

Bearing in mind this is not a bottomless pit as far as costs go logic says the starting point is number 3. I'll take the sump off to see if welding from behind is possible.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2018, 08:25:25 »
You've nothing to lose by getting it welded. It will either work or you'll need another engine casing. You're in that situation now, so go for it.

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2018, 08:43:07 »
Yes indeed TP. It just depends on space/access from the sump side. I'll open it up this weekend.  :)

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2018, 08:54:10 »
Why not make it a rep of the one riden by French Rider Adrien Morillas to the bikes one and only race win in the Hingarian round of World Superbike Championship in 1987. Paintwork will be cheap as it is single colour and it won’t devalue through not being standard as they are cheap as chips anyway.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gpx750+superbike+win&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjA-s2OhtveAhVJzBQKHR2jC38Q2-cCegQIABAC&oq=gpx750+superbike+win&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.12..35i39.17877.18844..19902...0.0..0.59.166.3......0....1.vpbhyoxjyCU&ei=cNbvW8CCFMmYU53GrvgH&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB652GB664&prmd=insv&biw=1024&bih=659&hl=en-GB#imgrc=JOvRvaImPuhomM

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2018, 12:15:44 »
Here's the hole from the sump side and the debris in the sump. The black 'stuff' is sealant.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 16:40:40 »
Access looks better from the inside but I've seen thicker rich tea biscuits! I think you'll probably get a repair that is stronger than the original if there is space to add a bit more meat to the casing as part of the rework.

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2018, 17:13:37 »
I think you're right there. Not sure why the casing broke, the bike could have been dropped on the lever........ It was bodged with araldite and not properly located; The evidence is the 'extra' joint compound at the bottom of the casing as it seems not to have sealed up properly so fill the gap with more sealant.

Only the change lever post has broken off, the hole you see has a 2cm long oil transfer void to the right of the broken post hole. Certainly a weak point there under unexpected force.

The original description I was given for the non-returning gear lever was "a broken spring.... and oh, there's a slight leak there too".  :dl_smiley_banghead:

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2018, 15:30:01 »
Decision made, replacement crankshaft casings on order. £64 incl; carriage. Also gasket set, around £120, then see what else adds up dismantling and rebuilding.  :smirk:

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2018, 16:46:15 »
This turned up when I took the motor down to con-rods. What was I saying about see what else adds up when dismantling?  :GRR:

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2018, 13:11:11 »
Crankcases now split. No other major fault obvious but I'll be transfering crank/gear shafts and selectors to the replacement crankcases. Hopefully nothing else........  :shy:

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2019, 20:33:18 »
I now have replacement cams (£50), crankcases (£64), a uni-trak suspension linkage to 'swap' with to get the best (£20) and some air filter pods (£20). Big stinger is the gasket set to rebuild (£109).

I've now been from back to front over the rest of the bike wheel to wheel and loom connector to connector. A few little items to replace like brake and clutch banjo nuts, choke cable, a couple of grease seals for the swing arm and some Kawasaki items like specific circlips and coolant system O rings. Last big expense (to get the bike running and ridable again) will be a chain and sprocket set. I'll post some photos tomorrow at this turning point. Oh, the engine gets rebuilt next week too.......  :lala: