Author Topic: DL1000 AL8 ABS INCIDENCE  (Read 252 times)

Offline Banditbilbo

• Bike: DL1000 L8
DL1000 AL8 ABS INCIDENCE
« on: May 04, 2024, 21:01:32 »
Hi everyone.

PLease, let me ask you, in case it has happened to someone, although no matter how much I search and read, I can't find anything.

The motorcycle: DL1000 AL8 2018 70,000 kms

The issue is:

I start the bike, start running, and sometimes the ABS light stays on, other times it doesn't. The traction control normally always turns off.
I stop the engine, repeat the previous sequence and it may stay on or it may turn off normally at 5km/h.
It is disconcerting, a lot, because there is nowhere to look at anything.

That is to say, depending on the situation, the signal remains on or not. I have done a thousand tests, starting fast, slow, with the handlebars turned, straight,....

Diagnosis, code C00, the big nothing. To make matters worse, even though the warning light is on, the ABS acts completely normally, on both axles, so I understand that the pump motor works correctly.

Yesterday I  dismantled the tank, filter box, etc... to get to the front ABS sensor connector.

I checked connectors of both sensors, as well as the ABS module and the ECU. Disconnect looking for any broken, sulfated, loose pole... Nothing

Thoroughly clean the contacts of all connectors with electrical CRC and blowing with air, to rule out ground shunts or bad contacts.

I also measured the ohmic resistance of both sensors with the multimeter, and here I did find a difference, but I don't know if it is normal, since the workshop manual does not specify that information.

The measured values ​​are:

FRONT SENSOR: 518 KOHM
REAR SENSOR: 450 KOHM

That's where I have doubts. Apparently, from an electrical point of view, they should be the same ohmic value.

I would like to ask you, please, if someone can measure the value in ohms of their rear ABS sensor, or if someone has a spare sensor at home, in the garage, or in the storage room and measure it with a multimeter and compare values.

I'm not going to ask you for the front one because it's a big issue, you have to remove the tank, filter box, etc., to get to the connector.

Any suggestions will be welcome.
Regards

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
Re: DL1000 AL8 ABS INCIDENCE
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 21:57:33 »
There is likely also an ABS diagnostic connector on your bike, on the 2017 650 it's cable tied to the frame under the riders left thigh. It's a two pin jobby (on the wiring diagram, it'll be a two pin connector going nowhere with one line joined to the ABS ECU).

Short the two pins, and it'll flash out any ABS codes that are stored on the ABS lamp. You might find you get a code there that you didn't have through the dealer mode function.

Offline Banditbilbo

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 10:20:51 »
Hi.
Thank you Sir.

So, I understand that there are 2 diagnostic plugs?

One on the rear side, and the one that you says on the ruser left side?

The last one could be  for ABS diagnostic?

I will check if I can locate and test.

Found some info at stromtrooper that checks and obtains similar values on the front ABS sensor, around 500Kohm.

So will be probable that my rear sensor is damaged, not broken, but deadly touched.

Regards

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 07:20:59 »
Please let me / us know what was found to be the cause of the failure. Enquiring minds.

Offline Banditbilbo

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 11:13:52 »
Hello.

After work done the saturday, on Sunday I tested the bike for about 300km. With several starts and stops.

No ABS fault appeared again.

I have yet to test the test connector of the ABS module, as the colleague in the previous message comments.

I don't know if disconnecting and cleaning all the ABS circuit connectors, sensors,  including the module connector, may have resolved anything.

Honestly, I have my doubts. There is a probability of ABS module "reset" when disconnect battery and ABS  module main connector???

It's the only option I can think of, apart from cleaning contacts.

Any news will be reported to you.

Thank you very much for your interest.

Offline Banditbilbo

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 07:46:58 »
Hi everyone.

After 5 days and 600 km of travel and daily commuting, there are no new ABS warnings.

Could the whole problem be dirt and/or moisture in the connections of the sensors and the ABS module?

I keep thinking about the possibility that one of the 2 sensors could be slightly damaged, specifically the rear one.

At Stromtrooper I read that the ohmic value of the front one, at least, is close to 500K ohm, which would indicate that mine would be correct.

I'm not sure how good the rear sensor is.

In any case, for the moment the use is correct again without new ABS warnings.

I will continue to report any news or findings To make it useful to anyone who has a similar issue.

Best regards

Offline Banditbilbo

« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:58:50 »
Hi.
It comes again.
I will order rear ABS sensor....