Author Topic: Newb In Yorkshire  (Read 4629 times)

Offline whythedevilnot

Newb In Yorkshire
« on: June 08, 2012, 20:25:29 »
Just upgraded to a 2008 Wee (it was advertised as a Grand Touring but I've no idea how you tell) from a YBR250 (yes there is such a thing. Not the fastest 250 but a great commuter). I've been riding about 12 years but it was time to go back to a bigger bike so I could do some touring with my wife. We took it out today in some fowl weather but both of us have fallen in love with it. Did Settle to Hawes, Grassington, Greenhow and back to home in Harrogate. Could never have managed that on the YBR. Hoping to take the Wee up to the north of Scotland this summer. Will get planning that as soon as the child care is sorted.

Anyway, I know this isn't a questions forum but, can anyone tell me the correct chain deflection/slack and torque setting for the axle? Cheers.

Not sure that's going to work but if it does, it's my new wee.
If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: Newb In Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 20:34:36 »
Looks great in matt black :thumb:  :welcome:

Have a look around the forum in 'oily rag' you'll find links to service manuals, and for interesting info and a recent chain discussion see here...viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13579

especially on torque settings...
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 20:45:45 »
:welcome:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 20:53:11 »
Hi &  :welcome2:

+1 for the best colour

I'm liking the handlebar brace too....nice touch.  :thumb:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline whythedevilnot

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 21:20:30 »
Thanks for the advice and welcomes.

We like the colour to. As for the extras on the bike, I'm not all that sure what are mods and what aren't. I've never seen another V Strom. It just grew on me very fast when I saw it. I had been thinking of an F650 or transalp. Very pleased with my end decision. I'm assuming the bash plate, engine bars and hand guards were options or mods anyway.
If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer.

Offline fat-lad- matt

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 21:30:25 »
:welcome:  Where abouts are you in the fine county of Yorkshire?
TOO FAT TO RUN BUT,BY ECK I BOUNCE WELL!!!!!

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 21:34:12 »
Hello and  :welcome:

The GT has top case and panniers, centre stand and heated grips as standard FYI...

Sweet in black... :thumb:
No bike at present.......

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 21:37:54 »
hi and :welcome2:  black is the best colour enjoy your new toy :thumb:
Too Old To Die Young

Offline ADV.john

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 22:49:40 »
Hi & :welcome: Best colour & fastest as well  :clap:  :clap:  :lala:  :lala:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TLD 2010:Lowestoft to Dingle. 767 miles.15hrs &3mins. 1763m in total
TLD 2011: Blackpool to The Eiffel Tower. 14hrs&35 mins 565 miles

Offline Catballou

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 09:32:17 »
hello  :grin:
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline Gary117

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 17:22:11 »
Quote from: "whythedevilnot"
Just upgraded to a 2008 Wee (it was advertised as a Grand Touring but I've no idea how you tell) from a YBR250 (yes there is such a thing. Not the fastest 250 but a great commuter). I've been riding about 12 years but it was time to go back to a bigger bike so I could do some touring with my wife. We took it out today in some fowl weather but both of us have fallen in love with it. Did Settle to Hawes, Grassington, Greenhow and back to home in Harrogate. Could never have managed that on the YBR. Hoping to take the Wee up to the north of Scotland this summer. Will get planning that as soon as the child care is sorted.

Anyway, I know this isn't a questions forum but, can anyone tell me the correct chain deflection/slack and torque setting for the axle? Cheers.

Not sure that's going to work but if it does, it's my new wee.

From the pics it looks like your new Wee is a 650 x not a GT.

:welcome:

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 17:45:27 »
:welcome:   Looks geat in mat black , I didn't even know they done mat black till I saw Ptarmigan's bike .

Offline Ears

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 18:17:32 »
Welcome and enjoy the site... you have got the right bike for the best roads ever !!!! was up at Hawes just last weekend on the way to Lakes.... BRILL !!! :welcome:
Rospa makes riders better...... or do they ??

Offline Chris Graves

• Bike: V-Strom DL 650, ZZR 1100, Honda CRF250L
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 18:33:11 »
Hello there and :welcome:  You definitely have the best colour. The V-Strom goes best in stealth mode.

Offline DESERTRAIDER

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 18:42:21 »
hi and  :welcome:

Offline matchless

• Bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 10:35:52 »
Hello &  :welcome:
"It may be rubbish, but it's British rubbish !"

Offline patropsley

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 05:34:01 »
welcome and enjoy - looks fab +1 for choosing the fastest colour !
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 13:14:22 »
Hi &  :welcome:

I bought a GT, only because it was the most convenient at the time. A GT has a centre stand, heated grips, hand guards and Suzuki pannier rails with a Suzuki top box and panniers. It does not have crash bars or a bash plate or the alloy rear luggage rack that yours has.

If it is/was a GT then someone removed the Suzuki GT pannier rails, luggage rack and the top box and panniers. They also added a bash plate and engine bars.

If it wasn't a GT then someone possibly added the centre stand and heated grips (assuming there are heated grips.)

Best thing to do is to check the V5C, it will say what it is. GT and T (Touring) are different again. If it is a Touring then is is the same as a GT, but it doesn't have the pannier rails and panniers (just the GT rear luggage rack and Suzuki top box.) Your rear luggage rack isn't a Touring spec one though so either someone changed it to the standard alloy rack or they have the Touring bit wrong.

Regardless of what it is, you actually have one of the better "base" combinations on that bike that you can get. You don't really want the Suzuki top box and panniers, the panniers are a bit shitty. You can add Givi rails and boxes for much cheaper than Suzuki ones are and they are muuuuuuch better. You already have a centre stand, the crash bars, the bash plate and handguards and those are the things you want as a good start covered :) I'd push the dealer to give you discount if it doesn't have heated grips and because it doesn't have the panniers and top box, simply because it was advertised as a GT/Touring and it's 'supposed' to come with the boxes.

Torque for the rear axle is 100Nm as per Suzuki's spec, reduce it ~10% if you use a lubricant (copper grease/grease/oil.) 20mm-30mm slack with the bike on the SIDE stand, measured in the middle between the front and rear sprocket and in the tightest spot. Rather err on the loose side than the tight side, a tight chain is a sure way to knacker it quickly, loose is the lesser evil.

Remember to update your forum profile with your location. If you like you can get yourself added to the members map, see my signature for the link  :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Glider65

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 20:51:42 »
Now I wonder If I saw you on the A1 last week too?  but I keep seeing Stroms'  then forgetting to put them up on the spotting page.  :groan:

I'm sure I had a Strom wave back to me on my White Multi - which, when I'm waring my dayglow, makes me BETTER than stealth black.  Everyone thinks I'm a copper  :)

Other Coppers even wave to me   :grin:

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 20:53:19 »
"Other Coppers" .... Sounds like you have even convinced yourself you're from the local constabulary !
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi