Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Frenchie

« on: June 03, 2012, 17:52:29 »
Thought I'd post and say hello as I'm new to this site and indeed biking.

I have been convinced by a friend to go on a motorbike tour of the UK even though I have never ridden before, not even a scooter. I have a moutain bike and have had a go on the dodgems at the fair, that's the closest I've ever been to a riding a motorbike before (I have a lot to learn I know).

Following a loads of research and reading I have now bought a bike, a helmet and a jacket.  Still got a few bits to get as well as a licence.  It's bit of a odd ways of doing things I know but the bike took my fancy.  I am currently trawling through various posts on here picking up tips and ideas from you all.

I look forward to joining the 'community' , learning from you all and hopefully a great biking holiday.

Mark.
Mark

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 18:41:37 »
Hi &  :welcome2:

There's nothing like jumping in at the deep end!

But you've picked the right bike to do it on.... :thumb:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 18:51:44 »
Ptarmigan has made the understatement of the year there!!

Hello and  :welcome: , enjoy that bike and good luck with your test.
No bike at present.......

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 20:23:55 »
hi and  :welcome2: what a way to start your biking career good luck with your test :thumb:
Too Old To Die Young

Offline Frenchie

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 20:46:44 »
Thanks

I am trying to post a picture or two of my bike but for some reason it's not playing ball.  I've tried resizing one for my avatar as well but it's not liking it.  I'll keep at it.

As for the test, I have my theory in a week or so then I can do my CBT and direct access. Some 6 weeks after that we're off.  The 'deep end' doesn't quite feel strong enough lol but my mate says I'll be fine. I've been a car driver for many years and am a cautious very observant driver, something I will be doing even more so on the bike believe me.

I'll make sure I take lots of pics of the road trip.
Mark

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 22:26:01 »
:welcome:

Offline Chris Graves

• Bike: V-Strom DL 650, ZZR 1100, Honda CRF250L
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 13:17:33 »
Hi there and  :welcome:
Good luck with your training and test taking.  You live in a good county for motorcycling, which part of the county are you in ?

Offline Frenchie

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 14:50:08 »
Hi Chris

I'm right in the middle, in Lincoon itself.  As soon as I pass I'll be exploring some of the nice roads over the wolds and up to the coast in preparation and experience for my trip in August.
Mark

Offline james.t

• Bike: DL250
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 16:39:14 »
welcome aboard and good luck with it all
J

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 22:07:42 »
:welcome:  and good on Your, jumping in like that!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 18:09:35 »
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 12:41:21 »
Hi &  :welcome:

You'll be surprised how much of a better car driver you become once you ride a motorcycle even if you are a safe driver at present. I also had the bike before I had the licence for it and it's very tempting to buy a lot of nice bits before you've ever ridden it. I'd recommend riding it for a while before you decide what you want to modify. Something you might notice to start with is that your shoulders ache a lot after a short ride, this is quite common for new riders. The solution is to concentrate on relaxing your shoulders and arms and not to hold on to the bars so tightly. In fact, holding on the tightly is something that will upset the natural balance and steering of the bike. There are some parallels to be drawn to your mountain bike in that regard. Put in as many miles as you can before you leave on your trip, but do them at a relaxing pace on some country roads you know. This will help you to get used to riding a motorcycle, develop your balance (much different than on a mountain bike, I have one too), help you judge corner entry speed and braking distances and will make your riding more of a reflex than having to think about it. Always remember "slow in, fast out" and you'll be safe on roads where you don't know the corners well. Once you get to that 'comfortable' stage you can pay much more attention to the possible dangers coming your way.

Anyway, I'll stop waffling now :)

If you like you can get yourself added to the members map, see my signature for the link  :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Frenchie

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 21:44:55 »
Juvecu

Waffle very welcome thank you.  The only mods I'm doing is to add a 12v socket and a mount for my phone /Sat Nav so I know where I'm going. Thankfully the bike has everything else already hence the reason for buying it so quickly, it was just what I was after.

The tips are appreciated, I will be riding as much as I can to get used to it before the big trip comes.
Mark

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 23:15:12 »
:welcome:   and good on you for doing it !! I'm 18 and started riding at 5 and racing at 6 but always progressed never just jumped on something like a big bike .. apart from riding an rs125 at 9 hahaha

Look forward to seeing your pics from the trip!!!
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Catballou

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 09:29:46 »
hello  :grin:
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline Frenchie

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 16:13:15 »
UPDATE: Clothing bought, theory test passed today, CBT booked for the 3rd July. I'm a few steps closer    :lala:
Mark

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 04:25:56 »
congrats on passing your theory test
Too Old To Die Young

Offline ilkleyal

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 05:23:23 »
Blimey, What a cool entry into biking........

You have already demonstrated you know how to play it safe so good on you, I think you have picked the perfect bike for your introduction. I jumped on one yesterday for the first time and bought it there and then after a 20  minute test ride. The riding position is nice and high and you are visible to others as well, also very easy to hustle along and change direction quickly with a good dose of power to assist where needed.

I find the bike is a great deal of fun, and only wish I had bought it a month ago before my trip to Belgium,Luxembourg and Germany which I did on my more powerful but much duller touring bike.

Ride safe

Al.

Offline Gary117

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 13:37:19 »

Offline Frenchie

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 20:01:45 »
Another Update:

CBT passed last week on a geared 125cc Yamaha (horrible thing that it was). I was then moved up to a 650cc Galdius and wow what a difference. Once I had adjusted to the extra weight I found it so much smoother with more progressive acceleration and throttle.  Nicely weighted in the corners and far more relaxing to ride.

I am training all weekend ready for my module 1 test on Mon then training again Wed and Thurs redy for my Module 2 test on Fri.

I'm nearly there (big smiles)

:lala:
Mark