Author Topic: Anakee on Veek  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Billabong

Anakee on Veek
« on: September 22, 2016, 16:26:02 »
Hi all,

I test rode a used 64 plate Veek today. The rear tyre was a Michelin Road Pilot 4 (which I have on my current bike and really like) and the front was an Anakee. I encountered a few areas of loose gravel during my test ride washed onto the road by recent rain and I have to say I had no confidence in the front Anakee at all. Tread was good and as far as I know tyre pressure was OK. What's the general consensus on the Anakee in the wet/loose gravel/iffy conditions?

Offline highland strom

• Bike: Suzuki Sv K2 2003.
Re: Anakee on Veek
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 17:27:33 »
Always had anakee 2's on mine & never had any issues on wet roads very confident with them. However loose gravel a different story but I think that would go for any tyre.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 19:26:07 »
Anakee 2's were my tyre of choice.
They are an 80% road tyre, 20% off road. No tyre will hold a line on a loose surface like gravel or mud.

The anakee 2's were a good predictable and grippy tyre in their day. Having gone from anakee 2 to a new design Metzeler Roadtec 01 there is a gap in performance. But would I buy another set of Anakee 2's... yes they are still a good tyre. I'd have them any day over the Bridgestone trail/battle wings that were like riding on wooden wheels. 

One thing to consider how old were the tyres on the bike you rode? They will age,  perish and go hard.

In the past I've ridden on gritted roads in the wet and minus temperatures... the Anakees gripped fine if ridden sensibly given the condition.

Tyres are a personal thing. If you don't like them... change them.
The mrs GSX14 came with a brand new set of BT023's. I hated the BT021's on the Deauville and wanted to change them, but being the tightarse I am I stuck with them, gave them benefit of the doubt and to be honest, I'll put another set on the bike when the time comes if the Roadtec 01 doesn't come down in price a little.

If I was looking to buy a bike and the tyres were old/worn/near limit I'd do a bit of haggling, but I wouldn't let it stop me buying the bike I wanted.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Angustoyou

• Bike: 2013 Glee
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 22:25:42 »
The PR4 and Anakees don't mix, they are totally different tyres,. I'm not surprised that they don't work well together.  Wet, loose and gravel ideally wants lower pressures in any case.