Author Topic: Metzler Tourance Next 2, or A41  (Read 1290 times)

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
Metzler Tourance Next 2, or A41
« on: July 19, 2023, 02:33:57 »
Hello all

Definitely need a new front tyre, measuring a gnats cock over 1mm now. Went asking at local dealers and they poo poo'd the A41 almost instantly. They recommended the Tourance Next 2, and it was also cheaper than the A41 too. They showed me and has a similar tread pattern to my current A40.

Has anyone got experience of the Next 2, any issues?

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Metzler Tourance Next 2, or A41
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 09:43:51 »
The tourance next 2 is Metzeler's latest adventure bike tyre so should be good.  I would certainly buy it over a Bridgestone A40-41 even at a higher price never mind lower.

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 12:43:59 »
I wouldn't use anything except the Continental TrailAttack 3! Superb in wet and dry, super quick warm up from cold (1500 metres), and good tyre life. On my Explorer I got 12500 front and 8500 rear...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 13:25:58 »
Gawd, it must be bad weather, a tyre thread in July!
FWIW...I recently replaced the original Trailwings with A41's. They're a very good road tyre on the 650 and coped two up with luggage very well.
I'd like to know why they poo poo'd the Bridgestones. Is there something we should all know?
Upt.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 13:46:42 »
I've had A41's on my 650 for the last year or so & have no complaints whatsoever with them. There's 8.5k on them now with another k or two left? All two up, mostly with luggage, and I'm intending to replace them with the same, although I do hear good things about the Trail Attack 3's Champy likes.
Upt North, probably a bigger mark up on the 'recommended' tyres?
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 16:21:41 »
Ah money, the route of all evil.
Except when you're buying a cooked brekkie.
 :mrgreen:

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 17:18:44 »
The reason I don't like the A40-41's is the harsh sidewall feel. This I guess depends on your bike. The 2014 on vstrom 1000 can have a harsh front fork feel at times and the Bridgestone's make it worse, Michelin road 5's etc feel smoother and grip better but cost more and wear out quicker,  you take your choice

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 19:10:12 »
The A41s fitted as std on my 650 where pretty good,wet or dry.Didn't notice any harshness from the front as porter says but it's the 650 not the 1000 so the different fork set up will hide that.They rode to the edges fine but where a little "wooden",never lacked for outright grip but "feel".
The road 6 I have on now are great in all respects as to "feel and grip" definitely a step up on the A41s. More confidence when pushing on or being a bit silly,more playful,yet track straight without passing road imperfections up the forks.
I got 7,500 out of the rear but changed it early,it MAY have gone another 1000? But others get more.
The Michelins ace in the hole is the sipes,wet grip is a revelation.
If A41s where the only available tyre I would be happy,but much prefer the feel of the road 6.
Not tried the A40s or the Tourance but tyre tech always gets better so if the Tourances are cheaper than the 6s (probably) I'm sure they will work well.
Though I'm not a fan of different tyres front and back,the profiles don't always match,making the period between getting a new front and a new matching back "interesting" .Mostly it's fine but every now and again?.At least you will have a better front than back ,the other way round is VERY "interesting".

Offline Caffs

• Bike: BMW R1200GSA
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 11:08:07 »
I have the Next 2 on my BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE great tyre wet or dry. Tyre choice is a subjective matter but having had A41's on my Veek I wouldn't have them again for any money.

Hope this helps from traitors corner.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 22:19:33 »
The rear has loads left on it, even though I'm not a stranger to replacing tyres before they're due I wouldn't dare if it's working well.

I think I'll give the Next 2 a go, gives me chance to tart up the abs ring too and grease the wheel bearings!

Offline Cadbal

• Bike: DL1000
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2023, 21:44:58 »
I've just put a set of the normal tourance on today, not sure how its going to go, but I'll expect the Next to be better than them

Offline TonyB1964

• Bike: DL1000A M0, Aprilia Shiver 750GT, Suzuki GSX-S750
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2023, 17:25:05 »
Hi blokes ... been some time for me since joining a while ago and I'm a little late to this party. However, my recent experience of Metzeler Tourance is not a good one. I replaced the Bridgestones on my 2020 DL1000 for these and had done about 200 miles on them but I developed a disturbing "weave" at anything over 80mph (where the law allows of course) *cough*! I have played around with different tyre pressures on multiple occasions trying to to find what works best but I only ever managed to move the weave a little higher in the speed range but was only marginal to around 85mph before the weave came in again. I have a few mods on the bike but they were there prior to fitting the Tourances so I have a direct comparison and I didn't have the weave before fitting them. I have a Puig Touring Screen, Oxford after market mirrors (diamond style), I hated the square slab originals because of the buffeting they caused, a Suzuki mini tank bag, Givi V47 Top Box, full wrap Givi crash bars and Givi aux lighting. I have fitted Metzelers many times in the past to various other bikes and had no issues at all but this time, they just didn't work for me. Grip is great, general overall feel is really good and I don't ride too much in the rain but when I have they perform well enough but its just that unnerving weave. Has anyone else experienced this? I even resorted to going back to the dealer who happily removed the wheels and re checked the balance. All good balance wise. Dealer then offered to swap out for the Next 2s which I reluctantly agreed to do at about £50 the pair extra. 600 miles in on those Next 2s and I'm still not convinced by them on my bike. I still have that weave but in fairness it is now at a lot higher speed. When on the autobahns (?) its there at around 100 now but I rarely ride at that so not such a biggy but Hello, shouldn't they be better than that? If anyone has any suggestions that may help then please post.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2023, 17:52:32 »
Tourance Next here, on the KTM 1090. No weave, even on the Autobahns up in Northumberland. They suit my bike, and seem to suit me. I'll buy them again.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2023, 18:23:05 »
From a logical fault finding point of view I would say that the problem is (IMHO) the 'bike' not tyres.
The weave you are feeling is either as a result of the wheels being removed and refitted the first time or an issue predating that which was being masked by the worn Bridgestones.
A squared off rear tyre (again IMHO) is a very stable tyre in a straight line.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2023, 19:10:35 »
  First thing I would check is the rear wheel alignment.
Ian Mc.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2023, 04:52:57 »
Sometimes a tyre just doesn't suit a bike /riding style/suspension set up.
And once it gets in your head it is difficult to not feel.
Someone else can ride your bike and say "that's fine" but if you aren't happy .......?
I had the same but with a bridgestone s20 front on my Fazer.
I too tried a range of pressures and suspension settings, which helped.
Eventually I took it off and replaced it with a bridgestone bt16 pro which I had on before and the problem went.
It had only done 250 miles and my tyre bloke sold it on , it was fine on the new bike(he gave me the £75 he sold it for)

So assuming everything else on the bike checks out OK (check and double check) then it is the (sorry,very expensive) tyres.

Though ......for the amount of time it takes to do.......I would take the top box off and go for a  hard ride ,see what happens.