Author Topic: Sat Nav and mounting?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Cadbal

• Bike: DL1000
Sat Nav and mounting?
« on: September 19, 2022, 21:41:24 »
Hello, I'm looking at various ways of using a Sat Nav and seeing how others do too.

Currently if I need directions I just used maps on my phone bluetoothed to my helmet via a cardo system, I think I'd rather have one mounted on the bike, as far as I can see I can either get a proper Sat Nav, an old phone mounted to the bars with a ram holder or something similar or in the top clear part of a tank bag.

Just looking for any feedback or if people got suggestions I'm happy for the input

Offline stoatsngroats

• Bike: DL650 L4
Re: Sat Nav and mounting?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 21:55:36 »
My tuppence worth, being a brand new rider and very recent to Vstroms, my recent L4 purchase had a Garmin fitted, which, despite being quite old, worked wonderfully, bringing me home over 180 miles on my first ride, when I bought the bike.
I would have considered this kind of thing if it hadn’t been fitted, and my 1st experience is that it is very worthwhile.
To be able to keep my phone out of the weather, and still have a very decent routing between postcodes fixed and wired into the the bike makes things very easy.
Not cheap I believe, but depending on what you’re  planning, for any kind of touring, it really is a simple way to achieve guidance.
👍 SnG.
Quiet applause will do.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 22:17:37 »
I like having a dedicated biking Sat Nav which will plot fun routes. I have a TomTom rider as I like the ability to plan the route on my phone and then send to the device remotely each evening when touring. Losing or damaging my Sat Nav whilst away somewhere would suck but my phone is safe.
I have mine on a heads up mount behind the screen above the instruments, makes glancing down or skipping points easy and the device doesn't move with the bars.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 23:05:08 »
Personal preference only, but I like a proper big bike satnav. Garmin Zumo xt at the moment. Phone in trouser pocket.  Phone links to Garmin, Garmin links to Cardo headset. If the bike and myself follow divergent paths on a mountain I'll still have the phone in my pocket to call an ambulance. Assuming neither the phone nor myself are too badly broken.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 11:31:26 »
I use my android phone in an ultimate addons case mounted above the clocks.

I do major route planning on my laptop in google maps and send it to my phone directly.
I've got offline maps stored on my phone, but when I venture out of signal area it's a bugger to reroute or change the destination unless you pinpoint where you want to do with the cursor as it needs live data to search for a destination.

been running this since around 2016 and it's worked fine for many a run with the boys.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 13:09:05 »
Rixington.
Whose mount did you use, I've seen a couple, I think one was Cosmo.
I'll be new to proper on bike Sat Nav, it's on the planning list for next year. So far I've used Maps ME I think on the phone and Google maps. Don't know if I'll go car nav or bike nav yet. Decisions, decisions.
Upt'North.

Online Rixington43

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 13:23:35 »
I bought one from a Czech company called Marselus (https://www.marselus.com/en/), I liked the fact the GPS mounts directly to the plate rather than using a RAM mount as it keeps the unit nice and low profile behind the screen.
Bike Specific would be my tuppence worth as they have all the features of a car model plus bike specific route planning and are generally much tougher units to handle the rigours of 2 wheels.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 13:35:39 »
Some RAM mounts are almost too ugly for a Harley.

You should do some research to find out what mount will best suit your needs.

I find the Garmin power lead as fitted to my cheap 340L is too delicate. The teeny tiny pins and their teeny tiny springs have been a frequent failure point. So far a replacement lead is IRO £43. and I have to buy one every year.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Online Rixington43

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 13:41:18 »
Daft question Brockett but what fails?
My missus has the same mount/cable and the small pins sometimes stick in, especially if rubber cover cap pops off in bad weather when the unit isn't mounted. A quick squirt of GT85 and a wiggle usually sorts them out, we've revitalised them several times over the years.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 15:07:55 »
Bike specific Sat Nav is my preference. I've had a Garmin Zumo 660 for about 8 years now with very few problems. I have mine above the instruments so there's no looking down to see it.
I like to keep the pins clean & put a smear of ACF50 on a bit of paper towel & wipe it onto the pins every month or two.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Upt North

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 18:48:00 »
Rixington.
Thanks for that.
Upt'North.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 19:28:17 »
If your bike has the 22mm dia bar across the screen, like my 1050, these are a good product for mounting your satnav specific bracket to without a ram mount. I have my Garmin 340 mount on one and works perfectly. I don’t normally like Ebay but this chap was very good to deal with. This is a universal Garmin mount, he does an Garmin XT specific one and may do other makes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124318165302

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 19:56:50 »
@ Rixington43 The springs behind the pins fail. I use the device on different bikes and I always take it off after a use and never leave it on a bike in the garage. I don't usually ride in the rain and always cover the pins (with the rubber tab) when the device is removed for parking.  I have tried to revitalise the pin springs with very light oil, WD40 etc and I put Dialectric grease on the pins from time to time. 
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 20:06:50 »
My tomtom has got me mostly around the world, and I like the winding routes function. As with others here I mounted above the clocks so you are not too distracted when riding.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 07:57:58 »
   If you do decide to use your cell phone, keep this iPhone warning in mind when you go looking at mounts.   https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=40293.0
  Some more reading on a cell phone mount  https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=41299.0

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2022, 18:15:21 »
I bought one from a Czech company called Marselus (https://www.marselus.com/en/), I liked the fact the GPS mounts directly to the plate rather than using a RAM mount as it keeps the unit nice and low profile behind the screen.
Bike Specific would be my tuppence worth as they have all the features of a car model plus bike specific route planning and are generally much tougher units to handle the rigours of 2 wheels.

I have just ordered one of those for my '20 plate 650. I'll report back when received and fitted.
Thanks for the tip
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline grumps

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2022, 19:06:54 »
Arrived yesterday. Eight days. Great service. Excellent communications from supplier

Looks and feels quality. Fitted. I have not used it in anger yet but see no issues.

Offline Upt North

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2022, 19:17:24 »
Grumps.
A picture of it on your 2020 would be blummin lovely.
Upt'North.

Offline grumps

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2022, 19:40:13 »
Watch this space  :grin:

Offline bladeowner

• Bike: DL650 L9, Honda Fireblade RRY
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2022, 01:09:40 »
I have had a Garmin Zumo 240 for about 6 years now - originally for my Fireblade. The  connection pins where damaged after a short while and I  received a new cable etc from Garmin under warranty. When I  bought the the Strom I just bought another mount and re used the old cable by soldering 2 small blobs of solder on top of where the pins used to be. This has worked quite well and just needs a refresh once a year as the solder  flattens a little. Like Barbel Mick  a smear of acf50 on the Fireblade pins keeps them working.