Author Topic: Intercom Sets  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Chrisjames

• Bike: DL650 V-Strom
Intercom Sets
« on: June 20, 2022, 11:19:46 »
Hi all
anyone able to advise or recommend some intercom sets to use to talk to other riders on different bikes?
there's loads out there but I know nothing about them or what is/isn't good.
3 of us doing a tour in august and want to get a set to talk to while riding.

thanks

Offline Caffs

• Bike: BMW R1200GSA
Re: Intercom Sets
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 15:06:47 »
Packtalk bold is the way to go but expensive but in DMC mode you can all chat together, other than that a freecom or V6 system also work well but on an individual basis where you have to switch between rider's manually.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 15:49:01 »
In the Accessories and After Market Items section    https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=39841.0

There may be other past discussions on the subject there too.  :icon_wink:
So how's it going so far then?

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 11:07:03 »
Depends on how many people you usually ride with and what comms they use...
I was in Sportsbikeshop at the weekend looking for upgrades for me/ mainly solo with the odd meet-up with my brother, and was told to go for the Cardo Freecom4x over the Packtalk Bold as I don't ride in large groups, and they said bluetooth 5.2 on the 4x was better than the 4.1 on the Bold. They're similarly priced. It also comes with USB-C rather than micro-USB on the Bold, which means faster charging (claim is 20mins charge = 2hr talk time)
(And I'm not spending the money for the Edge to get DMC and bluetooth 5.2)

I have a cheap 'Freedconn' one which I've used for a few years and it's OK, but I do struggle if answering a call to hear/be heard (I don't routinely do that BTW). I don't think it's as good for calls as my old Cardo G4 was. And it refuses to connect to my brother G4. Its OK for music though.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 14:41:21 »
Why not use RF? A radio, instead of Bluetooth ?
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Chrisjames

• Bike: DL650 V-Strom
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 11:31:49 »
Thanks blokes, we would be looking to like 3/4 riders together to be able to talk/communicate on rides.
Especially as 3 of us are going abroad in August, I just have no idea what is good for this and what isn't.

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 11:41:25 »
Having had Cardo before, I'd go with them. I heard Sena systems aren't waterproof but there is a cheaper Sena kit which does Mesh and Bluetooth 5.1 which could be worth looking at https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/646687

You could use radios as FR suggests, but headsets also allow pairing with phones/satnavs/playing music if that's what you'd like. I used to use push to talk radios when I first wanted comms (cheap ones) wired to the bike, but having had headsets I wouldn't go back to radios. But that's just my preference.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 18:38:30 »
Love the Cardo mesh units, we had 9 of us on tour earlier this year and we never had any issues, could split the group up or get split up and the mesh just links back up when anyone gets back in to range. The audio quality is really good and I can listen to music over Bluetooth or FM radio and the unit drops the music when someone talks and raises it again when nobody is active. Yes they're expensive but not in the grand scheme of bikes and gear. I will have the edge next though as micro USB is the work of the devil.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 17:29:34 »
I find although a lot of sets say they allow, and give instructions on how to link to sets from other manufacturers, this is not always possible.
I had a Integrated Nolan NCom B5 System in my old helmet. Sat Nav and phone fine, but would not link to sets of other makes. I thought it was knackered until a friend of a friend with another B5 tried to link and it worked perfectly.
In my Caberg I’ve gone for an Interphone Tour, as a couple of friends have the older F5MC sets. The Tour and F5MC both advertise up to four sets can connect, until you read the small print. If different models only three sets can link and although clear when close by, the clarity soon goes with a couple of hundred metres between you.
Also, I’ve tried to link to some RoSPA Associates with Sena, the other big one can’t remember name and Viper systems without success. Sena and the other popular one say you can link to one other helmet from a different manufacturer using the link the Sat Nav uses, but have never got it to work.
The Viper instructions were upfront saying it would only connect to other Viper units.

I think the moral is, you get what you pay for. I like the reports above re the Cardo units and will probably look at that next time.
In the meantime if you’re looking at less expensive units all buy the same type. Like the N-Com I recently connected to another bloke with an Interphone Tour and it connected straight away and was clear and reliable throughout the day.
Interphone do a more expensive model which I think allows up to eight to connect, but that will almost certainly be only if the same model.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 16:25:00 »
To update my comments above about connecting to other makes of intercom from my Interphone Tour.
I have found a way to connect to the Viper unit mentioned. You simply press the phone button instead of the intercom button when launching the search, with the other unit in search (usually red/blue lights flashing) and it will connect the same as two Interphone units, where you would have pressed the intercom button to launch the search.
I believe you can’t have a blue tooth link to a Sat Nav etc. as this uses the same channel.
Haven’t tried it with Sena or others but may work.

Offline vstroman

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 07:13:00 »
Quote removed

How do you like the Freecom 4x? I mostly ride solo,occasionally with one mate so I'm not really bothered about having the mesh capability of the higher cost units.
I like the idea of it having usb C, do the voice commands work well on the 4x? also I wonder if it's as tough and waterproof as the old packtalk bold?
the voice commands is the only advantage I see of the 4x over the 2x.

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 13:18:24 »
I find the Freecom4X good. Voice commands work well although once they stopped working and I've had an occasional Radio on (but you just tell it to turn off)

I only use: music on/off, volume up/down, next/previous track, answer/end call and redial. All work well and better than fiddling with buttons esp in slow moving traffic.

Have done two rides with my brother and the comms were really good/clear with a decent range. We used to use the G4s but mine died and I replaced it with a cheapo BT one which was OK for solo riding but rubbish for comms (didn't work well with phone or and wouldn't connect to my brother's G4).

The music quality is great and it charges very quickly using USB-C, that's what swung it for me over the Bold as I don't need mesh but do want fast charging.

Online 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 10:30:28 »
I'm using the Sena 50S which is mash & bluetooth. The range is quite remarkable and the sound quality is astounding. It is waterproof, robust and charges easily and is very intuitive to use. The only downside is that it can take a few attempts to connect to previously paired up units. Once it's hooked up it's fine and will be all day (easy 8 hours+ use), it's just a bit quirky every now and again.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'