Author Topic: What have you done with your bike today?  (Read 230610 times)

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Reply #3740 on: March 20, 2024, 23:02:52 »
 :text-goodpost:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline 2112

« Reply #3741 on: March 24, 2024, 17:52:58 »
Today I had my first proper ride out of the year. Just over 180 miles on some fairly grotty roads. Thoroughly enjoyed it and my new Oxford laminated textile suit performed brilliantly, happy.

Due to going to the gym as part of my recovery from a heart attack I've dropped from a 4XL jacket & trousers to a 3XL jacket and 2 XL trousers ! The hidden costs of fitness... I'm hoping by the end of summer to be down to a 2XL jacket and possibly XL trousers.

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #3742 on: March 24, 2024, 21:09:43 »
Good on you mate 👍 on the other hand I have put so much weight on since doing my knee in and being off work for 16 months.
the new jacket I bought in 2022 goes no where near me now 😱

I also went out for a little ride today only to Chelmsford to see my Brother ( he is in a dementia home bought on from losing his leg from gangrene ☹️)

A nice little ride and good to get out again.

Offline Ian P

• Bike: DL650 K8, 1976 Moto Guzzi T3 California
« Reply #3743 on: March 26, 2024, 20:55:47 »
While this is not today but over the last weekend I thought it may be of some, if limited, interest to anyone with an appreciation of old Moto Guzzi’s. This may go on for a bit so my apologies in advance.

Went to go out for a ride having re-registered my old Guzzi and what do you know, she no start! Turns out I have a flat battery. Now this has never happened before but given my slightly reluctant charge light I think I am going to have to delve into the wiring and the charge system to fix this.

Now one thing I did notice, when I last rode the bike as I was pulling up to the house, she was a bit “fluffy” and I initially thought it might just be a blocked pilot jet, but now I'm thinking if its not charging then a flat battery would definitely cause a running issue.

Sat the bike on charge for a few hours in the hope that would be enough to fire her over, but no go. The no go manifesting as a clicking starter solenoid. I did try the “percussional adjustment” method but to no avail.

So next thing remove the starter motor and fiddle with the solenoid to get the starter to turn over off the bike. All seems OK so put it all back together and used a spare battery as a jump starter and she fired up fine.
Lo and behold with the ignition on I have no charge light, and once checked with a multi meter it's definitely not charging. So, time for more investigation. Now, just to be clear, if the charge light doesn’t come on with the rest of the idiot lights when the ignition is turned on, then there is no supply to the alternator rotor field windings and the bike will not charge. This is a particular problem if the fuse blows while out for a ride.

So the next thing after lots of internet reading and fault-finding exploits from the “experts” in Guzzi land I started doing the basic checks.
The first thing I find is that the charge light basically doesn’t, so hoping it might just be a blown bulb I pulled the dash apart. After a bit of fiddling about I discovered that the bulb is OK but the wiring is not making consistent contact so more fiddling and crimping later and the bulb now lights up consistently with the ignition on.
I now just have to get it to go out with the engine running!

Looking over the wiring and can’t see any issues and no signs of wiring failure or loose contacts there, so next thing is to look at the generator rotor and stator.
Pulled the brushes off the slip rings and check across the sliprings for a resistance measurement. It should be in the order of 3.4 Ohms. I'm getting some very inconsistent readings so I don’t know if its fried or not. I did try a different meter but it was still inconsistent.

While I was fiddling with the alternator stator, I noticed that one of the brush connecting wires in the brush holder had broken, so I had to resolder it in place. Stator off and sit at the dining table and resolder it back together. Managed to get it metal glued (solder) back together and a continuity check seems to show its working. So, some limited success but its still not charging. Bugger!!

Just to recap, thus far I have fixed the charge light connections so that works, and re-attached the brush connections so the rotor should now become an electro magnet. I had another check of the rotor for resistance and after cleaning up the slip rings I can get a consistent reading of 4.7 ohms, which is not quite right but should still give me an output of some kind. I checked the output from the stator across all 3 fields and it should have been about 40 vac, but I got nothing so this points to the stator windings being cooked.

I then checked all the resistance readings across the fields and got exactly what I should, about 0.4 ohms on all 3 fields, then I checked the winding insulation and again across all 3 fields I got infinite resistance so they are not grounding to earth, so that’s good. Next thing was to flash across the slip rings with 12v direct from the battery which apparently is called field flashing and helps put a residual magnetic charge in the windings. I have done this previously on DC generators but not an AC one.
Then I put a direct feed from the battery to the DF spade on the brush holder and checked for charging again. Nothing, I'm now starting to doubt myself.

I then decided to re-establish an earth wire from the brush holder. Now, for as long as I have had this bike there has not been an earth wire but the wiring diagrams and all the fault-finding schematics show there to be one, so on one goes.

I put it all back together with the fuel tank on so I could run the bike a bit longer than just the fuel in the float bowls, connect the voltmeter across the battery, turn on the ignition (charge light comes on) and hit the starter. Charge light stays on, but the voltmeter is registering some activity, a bit of a rev and the charge light goes out and I'm seeing about 13.5 volts across the battery. Happy days!!
So, it’s now charging, not as much as I would like, but it is charging. Its enough for me to call it done and I shall put it all back together through the week and head out for a ride.
I am wondering if the slightly higher than should be resistance across the rotor slip rings is the cause for low output, but for now I shall live with it.
again my apologies for the boring read and if you have made it this far then thank you and Happy Easter!!
In the words of Rob Hunter of the Grateful Dead:
"what a long strange trip it's been"

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3744 on: March 26, 2024, 21:07:39 »
As the owner of a '22 model V7, I hope to never have to get into such technical stuff.    :fix:   Interesting read though.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline 2112

« Reply #3745 on: March 27, 2024, 17:59:36 »
Good work sir. As a former Guzzi owner (4 in total) I am acutely aware of the electrical 'issues' (V50 Monza, I'm talking about you) that Guzzi's can attract. The higher resistance accross the slip rings could certaily account for the slightly lower voltage. Ideally, you would want to see around 14V/14.2V but 13.5V is acceptable, especially for an older Guzzi...

Offline Ian P

« Reply #3746 on: March 27, 2024, 20:44:58 »
Thanks 2112 and I agree 13.5 V will do for now, I have to admit the bike is a bit of a garage queen these days, most of  my mileage is on the Wee Strom as it should be.
the old Guzzi is now 48 years young and has covered 269,000 miles so she deserves a rest. I'm hoping to get her past the 300,000 miles my old Spada did before I built that bike a new engine.

and Brocket I don't think you will have too many worries with your new Guzzi, they do seem pretty reliable these days, just the usual "characterful" inconsistencies that Guzzi are prone to. At least they don't have the problem of the missing crankshaft thrust washer that was a russian roulette for the earlier series II motors.

Offline 2112

« Reply #3747 on: March 28, 2024, 06:17:02 »
Wow, 269,000 miles. It's unusual to see a Guzzi that's properly run in! I was told when I bought my 850 Le Mans 3 back in 1986 that it would need around 30,000 miles to run in properly, another 30,000 to settle in and would then run as sweet as a nut for the next 100,000 miles! It certainly got better with miles but the original buyer wanted it back off me and made an offer I couldn't refuse... He's still got it and it still runs well and is immaculate.

Offline Ian P

« Reply #3748 on: March 29, 2024, 00:11:25 »
I think the older guzzi big blocks are a lot like the wee strom in that respect, with a bit of care they can cover enormous mileages, and reliably to boot!
I have no issues taking mine into the bush, where there is no one around, and if it all comes out on top you’re on your own. At least I know the bike will still run as long as it has fuel.
I also think still running points helps as they can be replaced in case of failure, whereas an ecu or Dyna ignition fail will just strand you.
Anyways happy and peaceful Easter to all.

Offline 2112

« Reply #3749 on: March 31, 2024, 17:57:29 »
I had a cracking run out today on the tigger, covering some 225 miles in dry, but a bit blustery conditions. We started off at Seaton Burn and then headed through Ponteland and over towards Corbridge before heading South down the A68. From here we turned off at the Manor House Inn and headed over the moors to Stanhope. From here it was on to Barnard Castle (quick eye test...) and then on to Reeth and Leyburn. We then headed over to Hawes (absolutely packed) and went up to the Wensleydale Creamery for a cuppa and a bite to eat.
After a very hearty lunch we headed back into Hawes, turning left towards Muker and the Buttertubs Pass. We had a great run over the pass and headed on to Keld and then up to the Tan Hill Inn, which was also packed. We had a quick photo stop and carried on back to the A66 where we headed West, turning off for Staindrop. From Staindrop we headed to the A68 and carried on North to Tow Law stopping off at the A68 cafe for more tea. Then it was on to Kiln Pit Hill beefore turning off for some much needed fuel at Stocksfield. From here it was a relatively short hop back home. Cracking day out on some stunning roads - very happy.

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #3750 on: March 31, 2024, 18:21:50 »
2112 that was a fantastic ride out, sounded like some great roads and some grub to boot  :text-goodpost:

Offline Asmith61

« Reply #3751 on: April 05, 2024, 20:19:56 »
Rode it to work in the pouring rain ☔️  :yukk:
Then after work rode it down to our caravan in Ashford. Then tomorrow morning riding it to Maidstone Harley Davidson for its first service.
It will be just a little over 100 miles over the 1000 mile first service 🤔
Also the bike is now filthy with the rain this morning so it will be getting some soapy love.

Offline 2112

« Reply #3752 on: April 06, 2024, 07:42:08 »
The first service is always a pain, you'll be pleased to see the back of it. Hopefully, we'll start to get some better weather as we progress into the year.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3753 on: April 06, 2024, 09:55:39 »
Finished a week of riding to work in Swansea.
The weather was crap, it wasn't my choice as her car was in being fixed, but it was nice to be on the bike again and nipping past the traffic I'm normally stuck in.

Also had a panic on Tuesday, when I got to work I realised my MOT is usually up at the beginning of April... but a quick check shows it not until later in the month  lol
So book her in.

Driving my little Dacia I've missed the power and acceleration of a big bike.  :auto-dirtbike: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-dirtbike:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Asmith61

« Reply #3754 on: April 06, 2024, 18:56:52 »
Took the bike in today for its first service at Maidstone Harley Davidson,  left it with them while we went off food shopping, had a call from them saying that they have found moisture in the brake fluid and they suggest that they change it. They agreed that this is strange as it’s a new bike and only done just 1000 miles, they did add that they will put in a warranty claim for the brake fluid and the labour ( as it is a Saturday and they cannot contact the warranty at weekends)
So I picked it up this afternoon and the service lady said we have only charged you for the brake fluid and we have swallowed the labour so the bill was £335.57
Oh and when I dropped it off this morning I bought a new jacket 😮

Online nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #3755 on: April 06, 2024, 19:16:14 »
Asmith61,

That looks like security footage from Crime Files on channel 4..........You haven't been naughty have you?

Ho Hum

Offline Asmith61

« Reply #3756 on: April 06, 2024, 19:29:08 »
 lol lol The clothing dept is upstairs and the lift was out of action and I cannot climb stairs like there’s now I have my knee injury. The lady bought the jackets down for me and my wife took the picture from up on the stairs  lol lol

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #3757 on: April 06, 2024, 20:49:54 »
Wow .. £335 for a first service.    :dl_hyperhysteria:

I Bet the brake fluid was genuine harley Davidson ..  :whistle:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Asmith61

« Reply #3758 on: April 06, 2024, 21:31:03 »
Kwackboy I know but I didn’t really have a choice of having the first service done at the dealership, the next one is 5000 miles so I will see how things go   lol
I would think it would have been genuine Harley Davidson I will check the receipt tomorrow as it’s in the car.

Offline 2112

« Reply #3759 on: April 07, 2024, 11:47:50 »
Nice jacket  :thumb: HD clothing always looks like it's built to last forever, especially the jackets.