Author Topic: What have you done with your bike today?  (Read 232480 times)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Reply #3720 on: March 07, 2024, 14:03:46 »
Fun with the XJ: Yesterday when faffing about in the garage looking for something else, I found a Garmin mount and power lead.  :happydance: I forgot I had it.  :old: I used crocodile clips to attach an optimate and called it a day.
This morning I fitted the bracket and tucked the wiring away back to the battery and then and decided to pop up to the bike shop in Ipswich to buy an Opimate - battery lead so there'd be no more need for crocodile clips and as the Garmin lead was already fitted with a compatible connector I plug the Sat Nav in the charge lead when I go out  :fix: 60 miles there and back and I really did like the ride and the bike amazes me every time I ride it. Back home in the garage I lifted the seat to access the battery and after a bit of a double take I could see I already had a battery charge lead fitted but, unusually for me, I made such a net job of tucking it out of the way that I couldn't see it and had forgotten it.    :roll:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #3721 on: March 07, 2024, 21:17:41 »
Today I took the DL650A for it's MOT. I had a great ride to Plymouth where the bike passed with no advisories then I went and visited my Grandson who was off work with a badly sprained ankle. Then I went to Plymouth Barbican where there are always a few bikers and interesting bikes. I had a cup of tea and a chat then started my way out of Plymouth only to see convoy's of bikes from all directions heading to the Barbican.

It would have been great to have stayed but I was looking forward to my ride home and didn't turn around. The day so far had taken a lot longer than expected and it was going dark so I took the easy route home(A38/A30) and enjoyed every second of the ride.

In another recent post I talked about the starter relay and the problems that occurred in fixing it. The seller of the new starter relay that I bought proved to be one of the problems, it was the wrong one. The seller has posted me the correct one and I'll fit it when it comes for peace of mind even though the original is now working.

So that was my day and I loved it.  :thumb:

Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #3722 on: March 08, 2024, 08:04:43 »
Sounds great Doc,
me and a mate rode over to the Huggys speedshop meet at Mallory Park on Wednesday,
Took the scenic route to get there, great couple of hours meeting old mates, eating cheap food, looking at an eclectic mix of bikes.
Rode home up the A5.

Note. Never use the A5 between Hinkckley and Cannock, it's horrible

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3723 on: March 08, 2024, 08:31:20 »
Well done Doc, you deserved a good day. Best wishes for many many more.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #3724 on: March 08, 2024, 08:54:28 »
XJ600 Clutch. The plates are always stuck together at start up,  but  never after they've been unstuck  for the rest of the day.  The lever is new and the freeplay is correct. I pull lever back to the bar and apply front brake fully and engage first gear and the bike leaps forwards and generally stalls. In order to protect the gearbox I put it in first gear before I start it. I believe it is a problem that can be caused by using oil that is too thick. I have been using 10-30 as it's winter so I am sure oil is not the issue. Also  considered a warped plate but as it runs perfectly well after the initial problem so I have discounted that.   I am wondering if a previous bodger had slipped an extra pair of plates in there. I have heard of that being tried when the plates have become worn and too thin.  I'll wait until May to have a look as I'll be changing the oil then for 10-40 and so it'll only cost me a gasket.

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650
« Reply #3725 on: March 08, 2024, 10:15:44 »
A washer under the clutch spring(s) bolt(s) to increase preload in another bodge, which obviously I have never done  :whistle: simpler than finding a spare clutch plate.
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3726 on: March 08, 2024, 14:45:39 »
Mine was exactly the same.

If you hit the starter it would jump forward a little.

Keep an eye on it as the thrust washer in the clutch boss had disintegrated and mine is not the only one I've heard of.

Not a major job to change, side cover gasket, thrust washer & oil if you don't lay the bike on it's side  :shy:
but making it home from work with no clutch was fun.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Brockett

« Reply #3727 on: March 08, 2024, 19:18:47 »
Oooh! good tip Mr_diver.  Do you think the thrust washer can break up and chuck fragments into the engine?

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #3728 on: March 09, 2024, 14:04:41 »
Took it for its first March run ever.
Sandgate and Folkestone, out about 1.5hrs / 30 miles and happy to report the "high" seat I fitted was pain / numb free  :thumb:
Oh, then cleaned it   :whistle:
May your God go with you...
(Dave Allen)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3729 on: March 10, 2024, 12:18:12 »
Brockett, there was very little left of the thrust washer.
The cage had more or less been completely worn away, but the rollers were all kept captive along with what was left of the cage and the metal filings.

As it's kind of captive under the clutch boss plate so all the bits were kept out of the oil.
Took a fair bit of cleaning out, but I think it was all more or less all there before I cleaned it out.

A couple a months later when I changed the oil I didn't see any metal left in the bowl.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Brockett

« Reply #3730 on: March 12, 2024, 19:50:18 »
On the XL125. This afternoon I attacked the remains of the clutch cover gasket that was stuck on the engine. I covered the innards with a few rags and then used a hard plastic scraper and a scotchbrite wheel on a dremmel. When I started I did not imagine it would take four and a half hours ###.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #3731 on: March 13, 2024, 19:06:49 »
I can't show you the snow capped peaks or the lush green valleys because this is Suffolk and it's mostly flat. Another trip to Grumpy's for an egg and bacon baguette and then a run down to the Quay cafe at Oulton Broad for a coffee and to pop into the tackle shop for some hooks and weights for fishing tomorrow. A nice 160 odd miles run on the XJ600.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3732 on: March 13, 2024, 20:38:41 »
We're over your way next week Dave, visiting RSPB Minsmere & staying in Kessingland.
I might be looking for a breakfast at some stage, so if a local lad wants to meet us one day, I might buy him that egg & bacon baguette?  :grin:
We'll be in the car by the way.  :)
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Steve T

• Bike: F8GS, NC750X
« Reply #3733 on: March 16, 2024, 16:23:56 »
Took the bike out for a rural brew . . .

Steve T

:sunny:
A weekend wasted isn't a wasted weekend

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #3734 on: March 16, 2024, 18:13:37 »
   Had a busy day today,removed the original Suzuki snatch plate on the new bike for the Hepco and Becker top box,cleaned up and painted the original Givi adapter plate from the L2 bike ready to go onto the L5 as I prefer Givi and have a normal box for everyday use,plus a 52 ltr.box for holiday luggage.Removed the front mudguard screws that go into the square nuts and replaced them using copper grease as a precation.Had a good look around the brakes even though the bike has very low mileage on it,making sure the front brake pad pins are free.Changed over all of the underseat tools,compressor,spare clutch cable,first aid kit etc.The more I see of the bike the happier I am as it is in exceptional condition.Ordered a set of black crash bars for it.Started looking for a sidestand plate,I made my own for the old bike,but have run out of ally plate to do the same for this one.
Ian Mc.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #3735 on: March 18, 2024, 16:51:30 »
Rode it ! I got out on the tigger for the first time this year and it felt bloody great. I didn't get too far mind (about 30 miles), but I got some fresh petrol in and had a quick picture at St Marys lighthouse, Whitley Bay. You forget how quick these things are after a few months off them...  :grin:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #3736 on: March 18, 2024, 18:30:50 »
   Took the L2 bike to a local garage for it to be displayed in the showroom,fitted footpeg lowering plates to the L5 bike,gave it a good look over even though it has only has about 3650 miles on it,oiled both stand pivots,searched for and found a headlight relay kit I thought I had given away,oiled the chain,removed the sprocket cover and gave it a clean then refitted it.Checked the tyre pressures.Hopefully fitting the headlight relay tomorrow.Looking forward to getting it on the road on April 1st.
Ian Mc.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #3737 on: March 18, 2024, 20:03:02 »
XJ600 took me for an 88 mile run to Chelmsford and back to deliver my son's prescription meds (long story). He rode up on his Fazer.  When I got back home I sorted out an old Bigpie power supply unit and wired in a Sat Nav so that it is connected when the ignition is turned on.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #3738 on: March 20, 2024, 07:51:26 »
Prompted by the good mr_diver's comment on 10th March I have given as much thought as my aging brain can muster into the clutch issue on my XJ. My biking pal Pep noticed the cable/ lever had a huge amount of slack and so this was taken up only to find that the clutch did not take up drive until it was almost fully released. I think this is a good indication that the clutch plates are just about worn out.  A quick look on-line shows new friction plates from Yamaha at £120 or a a set from EBC for £80 including the cover gasket.   
Does anyone have experience of the fitting EBC clutch plates.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #3739 on: March 20, 2024, 20:02:00 »
I've fitted a few EBC clutches, they ended up coming back and, because of this, I always recommend OEM.

If you can afford the extra £40 go for the OEM plates and don't forget new springs .  :thumb:

Chief trouble maker 🙂