Author Topic: Dipped beam not working!  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
Re: Dipped beam not working!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 21:56:25 »
Duh  lol lol I should read more carefully  lol lol

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 22:30:25 »
 lol
Yeah, thanks for your concern but I did get mine sorted when I got back from the trip (June last year), my problem was self inflicted, changed a faulty bulb for another faulty bulb & caused a stupid person a lot of confusion!!
I hope vstroman gets sorted.
@ kwackboy, not all the time since last June but quite a bit!!  :obscene-drinkingchug:  :grin:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 06:41:41 »
 lol this would have been better coming back on April 1st, will read dates next time! :topic_closed:

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 09:26:45 »
I got a relay kit from bigpie as well, for some reason I was only getting 6v to dipped beamso I took it off

Send it back to me and I'll check it out.

Offline vstroman

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 23:20:27 »
I have disconnected Bigpies relay kit and put back to standard for now, still no high beams, fuse is OK, I see the 3 connectors under the big rubber boot behind the left fairing, I wonder if the problem is a bad connection here? how are these fittings meant to separate? can't get them opened :angry-banghead:

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 11:41:43 »
Since you have some lowbeam working, its possibly not the starter switch problem, and most likely a connector issue. If you are lucky its the one you can reach in the fairing, if not there is one that corroded behind the radiator. needs tank off though.
I can't remember exactly how the connectors fasten, but there's usually a clip to press down  :shrug:  if they are corroded, might be really tough to do reaching in there
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline vstroman

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 12:19:17 »
Thanks Gassoon, I got the connectors in the left side fairing opened eventually and they look OK to me so I think the problem might be at that connector under the tank, I'll have a look in there when I get time, at least I can still ride the bike during the day.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2019, 15:09:40 »
If you're 100% sure it's not the bulbs (both new new, not new stored bulbs) then I'd spray all the connectors with contact cleaner even if they look OK.
If you've not taken preventative measures on the connectors behind the radiator then it's likely they'll be the problem... if you do open them up to have a look then make sure you clean them and cover them with bicycle innertubes or something similar.
I hate dodgy Suzuki electrics :dl_smiley_banghead:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2019, 15:16:10 »
Sorry if it has already been suggested, if the connectors are that badly corroded (and it's not a broken wire), heat will build up pretty quickly to the wires close to the offending connector due to the resistance, that should help you identify the culprit (if you leave the lights on).  :thumb:

Obviously if you take the Tank off then split and treat every connector.  :thumb:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline vstroman

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 19:25:15 »
Fixed!! the problem was at the connector under the air box,had a bit of fun getting access but once at that connector wiggling it about was bringing the high beams on, so sprayed with contact cleaner then ACF50, bent the tangs in the connector slightly for better connection,all working again 100%. reconnected Bigpies headlight relay kit as well.
also separated every connector I could and sprayed with contact cleaner/ACF50
hopefully that will keep things working now, thank for the help chaps.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 20:43:27 »
Silly question but,  are the relay kits supposed to stop this kind of problem or just delay it ?

In all the years I owned my Vee I had the dreaded headlight issue once, it was the block connector behind the radiator.
Once I'd cleaned and twisted the little pins inside the connectors it never happened again.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline vstroman

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 22:22:21 »
I think the relay kit would prevent the starter switch contacts failing and probably would help these other connections too, the bike was around 3 years old before I fitted the headlight relay kit so maybe this issue was starting to happen before the kit was fitted.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 23:09:49 »
Those connectors are too exposed to water etc. If you've not had issues already you're lucky. Hope you put some inner tube over them to protect from future water ingress.