V-Strom specific discussion > V-Strom specific discussion

Ruined thread

(1/2) > >>

Valzdl650:
Just putting casing back on and one of the bolts as I was very carefully tightening has chewed the inner thread, I could feel that it felt a bit funny so being super cautious I began hand tightening and as I got the racket and just ever so slightly tightened it just span !! Is there any fixes which doesn’t envolve drilling a new thread 🙏

nigel s:
Which "casing" ?

Rixington43:
I have had some limited success with a product called quicksteel which you can put in the hole and drill/tap once set. It won't take a lot of torque but it might be enough for an engine casing bolt if all the others are solid. It's still a drill and tap though and, at that point, if you have enough wall thickness, I'd go helicoil.
Sorry to say I don't think there's a quick and easy fix for a stripped casing thread.

Mojo-Jojo:
The only other thing I have done previously is to fill the damaged thread with weld, and then drill & tap.

purplebikeunicorn:
Depends what you mean by casing?

I have "helicoiled" a few threads on non-structural components, and as long as you take your time, you get a good result. The only thing with helicoils is if you do it into a blind hole, the little tang used to install it can be a bugger to get out (unless the screw is short enough that it doesn't contact it).

*eBay special helicoil kits that came with Drill, Tap, Thread inserts, and insertion tool / tang removal punch

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version