Oily Rag - Dedicated to Pat, Greywolf. 26/06/45 - 04/06/18 > Screens

Screen woes

(1/5) > >>

sjrainsford:
Morning all
I've got to the point where I'm considering parting ways with my 650, mainly due to the aero.  It just doesn't seem to suit me!
I cannot seem to avoid turbulent air and none of the screens I've tried seem to help. 
I've got an MRA Vario, Givi Airflow and powerbronze adventure short screen.  I've tried numerous packers to alter the angles and the palmer bracket.  I just can't seem to make any combination work for me.  Even with no screen the air from the bike itself is turbulent and noisy.  If I stand up on the footpegs it's lovely and quiet.

Anyone else found this?  Particularly on the version 2 650, or Glee as it's known on here.  Any suggestions?  It's annoying as otherwise an immaculate bike that goes so well after tuning.  But it's taken too much of my time being annoyed with it rather than enjoying it.

Upt North:
Ay up me duck.
Screens? Yes, they can be a pain in the ear hole. And your wallet.
Maybe the bike just doesn't fit you. It happens.
Since purchasing our 650 last year we've done a lot to change the ergonomics and it drives me nuts that manufacturers could help but don't. It's not just Suzuki, they're all the same and offer little adjustability as standard.
But what about your screen?
Why not post your height, screen height and anything else you think is relevant, such as mirror type and extenders etc and see if someone similar has solved the issue.
As you live in the middle of dear old blighty can someone offer you a swap for an hour or so to see if they have a solution that works for you too.
I am tall and sit two inches higher than std, the Loster screen and Puig adjustable flip works OK for me. But other folks solutions only work for them and might be dire for you. I also run std mirrors and Oxford extenders.
I've got nothing else, but if you're passing Northumberland you're welcome to try mine.
I note your other bikes are scooters, have you been cosseted behind a large close fitting screen for too long?
Upt.

sjrainsford:
Thanks for the reply Upt
My vespa is the only scoot I own, so haven't got much to compare with.  I run that with and without screen depending on the weather.

I'm thinking that the issue mostly is the air coming off the fairing, and therefore between the screen and fairing when a screen is attached.  I think it may be coming straight up and hitting me at the helmet level causing the noise.  A screen seems to alter it, to be either more noisy or to shake my head around.

One combination I haven't yet tried is the palmer adjustable bracket with the powerbronze short screen.  That is now fitted, so will give that a try next.  Perhaps see if I can angle it over the clocks so that the air coming up underneath it is aimed lower down my torso away from the helmet.
It's a lot of faff!

2112:
I had a glee some time ago and had all manner of issues with wind, both noise & buffeting. It took several screens, but I eventually got the Givi Airflow to work for me. This took a LOT of fiddling and faffing on to get the right height & angle combo to suit me (6'2" and 'robustly' built...) but when I found screen nirvana it was a thing of beauty. I do remember that the upper screen part of the Givi was literally millimeters from either perfection or loads of wind noise - it was a very small window of bliss (for me).

Good luck with it, I had to sell a new Moto Guzzi V85TT a couple of years ago as it was just too noisy and buffety for me...

Ian T:
I was the same and the Givi airflow fixed most of it.

What sorted the last elements of buffeting was changing the mirrors. I can’t remember to what but around 2014/15 the ones I chose were all the rage on here. Might have had some word like Rocket in the title.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version