Oily Rag - Dedicated to Pat, Greywolf. 26/06/45 - 04/06/18 > Oil/Lubrication

rusted outer links of chain

(1/2) > >>

Chris H:
I've had my 2011 wee since January and used it regularly, despite my best efforts to keep it clean, some of the road salt has eventually got to the chain and the outer links are showing some rust on the outside faces. I have a scottoiler fitted and the inner links / 0-rings look nicely lubed, so it's really just cosmetic.

However, coming into spring I'd like to sort it out. So, what's your preferred method / product for getting rid of rust and restoring the chain to its former glory?

kingmunky:
Hello - I've had my 2011 since January, and I'm in Edinburgh as well  :grin: Oooh, fwend!

I have the same problem as well, it's the shitty brine/salt mix Edinburgh Council throw on the roads, makes it impossible to keep all corrosion at bay.

Give the chain a real good scrub, let it dry then tackle any bad bits of corrosion with a hard brush or some wire wool, rinse and dry then lube as normal. Keep the corrosion at by by wiping a thin film of ACF50 or Fluid Film over the side plates (I use ACF but have had FF recommended to me by a mate)

sjrainsford:
This may sound like a daft one, but it works.  Try harpic max 10 bleach.  Just rub in a small amount and the rust will simply clean off.  Take all necessary precautions before hand of course such as hand and eye protection. 
It makes the job very easy though, clean off then lubricate to protect with either a light coat of oil or something like ACF50.

Chris H:
Magic, many thanks both

infidel:
I've never used HARPIC 10 - but as your resident Industrial chemist can I just point out - its isn't a bleach so PLEASE don't mix it with actual Chlorine bleach. It will react vigarously to liberate a chlorine gas weapon upon your person.
HARPIC 10 is actually 10% Hydrochloric acid (hence the name) with a few % detergents and some perfume to make your shitter smell great. Gloves and eye protection a must.

I've heard of it being used before - with great results - good for headers apparently but only a quick use/wipe and rinse - do not let soak. The 10% HCL acid will eat a LOT of metal causing pitting and worse if left soaking. I did think of giving an old SV header a try with it.

Personally for side links, I use soft wire brushes - takes a bit of effort, ruins a couple of brushes but they come up great!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version