Author Topic: Riding at night  (Read 478 times)

Offline Gorillastrom

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 V strom 2009
Riding at night
« on: March 20, 2024, 08:24:51 »
Hello everyone,
Been a while since I posted. Hope all is good with you. I’ve started to ride a lot more to work from cambs to central London and I think I need some kind of auxiliary / spot lights as the last 12 miles or so are on unlit roads and the amount of road kill decorating the verges makes me pretty nervous that I need to do something to at least try to spot animals as early as possible. What type/brand of lights have people fitted to their bikes? Mine is a 2009 DL650 with engine crash bars. So I do have the space to fit a couple of lights in place. Thanks in advance for your help!

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Riding at night
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 08:57:55 »
I run these, as do a few others here I believe;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295892754864

I've had the set I'm running now for a few years and they've been fine until I had a small bike drop in my garage and I think I shot the seal on one as it has now suffered water ingress, I've just bought a second set as they've been good.
I would highly recommend getting yourself a BigPie aux fuse box to power them off the ignition so they can't be left on;
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=36024.msg443266#msg443266

You can direct message Jamie (BigPie) through the forum.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 09:49:22 »
Gorilla, I'm not in your position so aux lighting isn't on the agenda.
If I was I would consider what I want to light up. Is it the road a mile ahead or the sides for deer, badgers, pheasants etc. So check out the beam patterns of different lights, such as flood, spot and fog etc.
Good luck.
Upt.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 10:04:24 »
As an aside, have you upgraded the headlight bulbs already?
I run osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs which are considerably brighter and whiter than standard. I've not had one blow in 12k/5yrs so they seem to survive the bike application pretty well, these will probably do more for your vision than aux lights.
Being as yours is a proper classic Strom, they're easy to replace too ;)
The aux lights are good for lighting the verges though and I strongly believe they make you more noticeable to other road users as well.

Offline Brooksy75

• Bike: DL1000A L6,
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 20:03:25 »
I've just bought these, not fitted yet but tested on a battery and they're bright enough for me, only took 10 days to arrive and they are knocking 15% off using code MT15.
https://www.led-colight.com/products/2inch-mt-series-mini-motorcycle-lights-with-wire-harness-for-1inch-tube

Here's a review video on YouTube

Offline deecat

• Bike: 800 RE
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 20:55:36 »
I will second the choice from  Rixington 43  I have also been using these for years. On one occasion in the middle of November I had to get home from York which required  me to cut across country. On a 2017 Nc 750x only to find out how poor the Honda head light was .
The spot lights allowed me to get home through  dark country  roads.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 22:45:19 »
I use the same ones as Rixington however I bought mine from Aliexpress for half that price, including a (semi useful) harness / relay / switch. Searched for "BMW motorcycle auxiliary lights" from memory.

Semi-useful as I had to extend the wiring to the handlebars as it is designed for a BMW.

I had some £10 eBay jobbies on before, they lasted a year and didn't really light much.

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 11:15:03 »
Osram night breaker lasers or Philips extreme vision /racing vision.. the +200 if you can find them..
My AL4 headlamp is woefully poor compared to the Varadero.. 
So I added a pair of cheapish pods, Amazon specials.  Pretty good..  but no distance...
Sinc added a single Diode Dynamics 6" "SAE" fog lamp under the beak..  this puts out a massive flood of light on the floor..
Led high heel bulb makes for a great package now..
This is all lights on..

Offline SteveH

• Bike: DL1000, Honda Silverwing 600
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 16:16:32 »
I've not ridden the V-Strom in the dark yet, but every other bike I've had has had the main light pointing either too high or too low. Have a fiddle with the headlight alignment first.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 22:36:33 »
+1 for the nightbreaker bulbs, they put out a much whiter light and you can see further.

Offline Gorillastrom

• Bike: Suzuki DL650 V strom 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2024, 21:19:36 »
Thank you all! I upgrade my bulbs as indicated and then the extra side lights look good so I’ll get them too.

As always, you are all legendary humans!