Author Topic: Close call tonight...  (Read 8918 times)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: Close call tonight...
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 16:02:42 »
A fair summary.

Yes, I'd happily give my bank card and PIN number to a stranger, if 0.2 of a second later I can take it back and give it to another, again for 0.2 of a second, and then another, and so on.

I've filtered in London, kudos to anyone who does it daily, car/van drivers there are on a different planet to the rest of us, their lives are so important and so busy that driving is probably 5th or 6th on the list of things they're doing at the wheel. I filtered past a woman in a BMW who was on the phone, smoking with the other hand and checking her hair/makeup in the mirror, all while moving.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 16:07:22 »
I'm heir to a fortune in Nigeria and can return your investment 5000% if people are giving out bank cards around here?

But yeah, it is true that you get more and more confident filtering the longer you do it without being knocked off. I do wonder sometimes whether I'm getting over-confident now. Worth keeping this in mind!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 18:11:03 »
I don't think there is anything wrong with being confident while filtering, not being so is more dangerous. You just shouldn't go faster than what you're comfortable with in the specific conditions (in relation to the risk involved.) I seem to always settle at roughly the same speed in slow moving traffic (about 10-15mph faster than the traffic) and I feel that this gives me enough time to react if someone does do anything stupid. When traffic starts getting to about 30mph again I usually get back in line because when it starts moving the gaps open up and people want to start picking a "faster" lane without warning.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2013, 08:15:26 »
Quote from: "frez"

- overtaking on the inside;
- driving inappropriately close to another vehicle;
- inadvertently driving through a red light;

So does that mean it's OK to deliberately drive through a red light  :shrug:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline frez

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2013, 09:40:41 »
That would fall under dangerous driving rather than careless driving. Dangerous driving has more penalties.

"Dangerous driving includes situations where the driver has of his or her own free will adopted a particular way of driving, and also where there is a substantial error of judgement, that, even if only for a short time, amounts to driving falling far below the required standard.  If the driving that caused the danger was taken as a deliberate decision, this would be an aggravating feature of the offence."

One of the example points:

"disregard of traffic lights and other road signs, which, on an objective analysis, would appear to be dliberate;"

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road ... iving/#a29
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline neltek

• Bike: V-Strom 650 GT 2010
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2013, 11:23:52 »
not read all the comments yet
but as far as red golf is concerned -
he should have looked but you are the vunerable one

looked like you were about to undertake him?

also if he did look he'd have seen nothing on his immediate left when he started to move

surely if you want to go past someone - go past on the right?

p.s. don't try that in Belgium - they will TRY and run you into the barrier ...

OK started to read extra comments - at first viewing didn't see he braked etc.
looked like you were shooting up his inside
however as others have said regardless of blame, expect cars to do all sorts of bad moves on you...
I had one yesterday near Stratford on an A road in traffic jam turn left a bit then pull a u-turn without looking

I was overtaking the queue and managed to stop
other bikes had gone past me earlier much faster and would have been splatted

glad you are OK and keep driving defensively
V-Strom 650 GT

ex:
SV650 K6
MZ301
Gilera DNA

Offline Descolada

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2013, 20:56:18 »
Regardless of the on-going discussion, you survived to ride another day. Learn from it and count yourself lucky that you were awake where the red golf was not.

Expect the unexpected when riding your bike in ANY situation.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2013, 21:06:01 »
U turners are a particular hazard while filtering. They usually make a split second decision out of frustration and are hard to read as they display no unusual signs before hitting the floor and spinning the wheel.

Offline iansoady

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 10:32:36 »
There are a couple of clues to the U-turner - you often see the hands move on the wheel in preparation, and just afterwards the front wheel will usually turn a bit before the car actually moves. Admittedly hard to see but sometimes can give you half a second or so extra warning.
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:03 »
I know a motorcyclist who has been knocked off on 3 separate occasions by people doing U-turns.

There's a lot of talk about things that could be done to improve the safety of motorcyclists, but this one really is a no brainer. Introduce significant penalties for any motorist doing a U-turn on a road with a speed limit of higher than 30mph (so as to allow U-turns on low speed residential roads) unless directed to do so by a police officer.

Would take time for the message to sink in, but eventually motorists would learn that it is an unacceptably large risk of a fine/points on licence and it would become far rarer that motorcyclists are knocked off while performing U-turns.

Offline neltek

• Bike: V-Strom 650 GT 2010
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2013, 11:20:31 »
He turned left before he came back round to the right and turned round.

I was intrigued where he was going at first.

Luckily I am quite cautious overtaking a row of traffic and had seen him move and slowed to almost a stop.

Thing is I have seen cars try and overtake a row of traffic so it would pay him to look over his shoulder first
Also he seriously sped up during the manoeuvre
V-Strom 650 GT

ex:
SV650 K6
MZ301
Gilera DNA

Offline Descolada

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2013, 13:11:49 »
You can tell when someone is about to do a U-Turn in Dundee. They all swing wide before taking a corner - that's a dead give-away. I remember way back in the old 'Lada' days when power steering was a luxury and you just built up your arm muscles to control a vehicle properly.  :old: