Author Topic: Struggling with a fully loaded Wee  (Read 1598 times)

Offline 100thidiot

Struggling with a fully loaded Wee
« on: March 10, 2010, 12:31:58 »
Hi all,

Still loving my new Wee but had found a few minor issues...

I have finally come to understand all the comments I have seen on every V strom forum about the crapy windscreen - seems to really make my head vibrate once I hit a certain speed. Not a big deal I'll just have to adjust till its right for me.

Last weekend me and my OH had to head to a family gathering.  Great, I think, a chance for me to test out the Wee fully loaded (for staying the night in a B&B).  So I pack my bags, load up the Wee and then try to get on .... well my OH nearly wet himself  lol

I had to resort to grabbing my right leg and sort of doing a front kick while yanking my foot up over the seat - thank god for martial arts otherwise I think I would have never been able to get my leg that high...

There must be an easier way of getting on a loaded bike...  Is it safe to stand on the pegs while the bike is leaning on the side stand?  I didn't want to try it out, cos I did not fancy a loaded bike landing on me while I'm waving my leg in the air trying it get it over all the stuff I had strapped to the back.  Any advice/tips for shorter people getting on and off a loaded bike gracefully?

I am determined to be self sufficent with my Wee, and seem to be coping OK, apart from one minor incident with a gravel driveway  :shy:   I have to get my OH to help me reverse... I really hate gravel driveways  ###

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
Re: Struggling with a fully loaded Wee
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 12:40:57 »
I have a knackered left hip (too much rugby and tomfoolery as a young man) and I stand on the right peg and hoik my left leg over if that makes sense. By holding the front brake and applying pressure to the rear brake at the same time the bike goes nowhere. Not elegant, but it works.

Stu :thumb:

Offline Sven

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 16:38:52 »
Just stand on the foot peg with the bike on the side-stand. I'm about 15 stone (& full luggage on the bike) & never had a problem. :thumb:

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 16:59:27 »
I wouldn't recommend constantly standing on the nearside peg when the sidestand is down, though it would be fine if you have a center stand.
The reason why, is that the sidestand bracket bent on my Tiger 955i, and Triumph said I must have been doing this to make it bend, I hadn't btw. They were using this excuse to try and get out of replacing the part under warranty, typical Triumph shyte customer service.
But the fact remains that the sidestands or the brackets are capable of bending. The Suzuki parts may be stronger as I've never known it happen on Suzuki's I've had.

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 19:19:18 »
I'm over 6 foot tall and when the bike is loaded up I get the bike on centre stand, put the boy on the back first and then I stand on the peg to get on, and then we have a synchronised shunt forward to get it off the stand :grin:

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 20:14:48 »
I use a high flying ballet dancer (not) like foot in the air manoeuvre accross the lowest part of the saddle whilst the bike is on its side stand lol :crazy:  

the trick is to do it from the right hand side so if you misjudge and go too low you can't kick the bike over :shock:
C'mon spring I want to get riding

kritichris

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 23:22:22 »
Quote from: "100thidiot"
H
There must be an easier way of getting on a loaded bike...  Is it safe to stand on the pegs while the bike is leaning on the side stand?  I didn't want to try it out, cos I did not fancy a loaded bike landing on me while I'm waving my leg in the air trying it get it over all the stuff I had strapped to the back.  Any advice/tips for shorter people getting on and off a loaded bike gracefully?

I am determined to be self sufficent with my Wee, and seem to be coping OK, apart from one minor incident with a gravel driveway  :shy:   I have to get my OH to help me reverse... I really hate gravel driveways  ###

As long as you mount on the side stand side it's as safe as houses, I do it all the time..