Author Topic: Screen woes  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Milo

• Bike: DL650XT L0
Re: Screen woes
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2023, 15:09:29 »
Hi, I tried the Tuono mirrors but they found they didn't make much difference to noise or buffeting.  After the garage door dropped and broke one of them, I fitted some Shin Yo Agila universal adjustable mirrors and these made a noticeable difference to noise and turbulence.  Well made and rock solid at speed but you have to sit them low towards the bar grips to get the best field of vision and least turbulence.

The other thing I did was cut 100 mm off the top of the screen, mounted on lowest position, which got rid of all the turbulence and noise but turned the bike into more of a naked style.  Fine in the summer weather.  I'm currently experimenting with an Ali-Express screen deflector on the cut screen which is reducing the wind load on my chest and lower helmet without the buffeting but have yet to find an ideal position a week into the test.  Its looks l like I'll end up with the cut screen put on its highest mounting point and then working on the angle /position of the deflector.

Good luck.  I hated the buffeting, it was ruining the bike for me but now fixed I love riding it.

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2023, 15:47:52 »
the biggest difference I found on the 2017 650 and a 09 BMW gs before that was a new helmet which fitted better.  I went from a hjc 16 to a hjc rpha st.  the 16 was a medium size which seemed OK but the rpha is a small which is a tight fit to get over my lugs but is really comfy once on.

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2023, 08:44:49 »
Bit of an update, even though my lovely strom is for sale.
I swapped back to the MRA vario touring screen that I previously had fitted, but made an adjustment to the way it was fitted.  I've put it on the lowest mounting point (as I have with all my screens), and then obtained longer bolts and various spacers.
Now I have about 15mm of spacer in the lower two mountings, and 5mm is on the upper two mountings.  This angles the screen towards me more, so much so it couldn't actually angle any further without spacing it off the bike further.

This has made a surprising difference.  The air is now smooth!  I took a spin up the motorway, and it was much improved.  Helmet now in clean air.
There's still a little noise from the screen, but it's smooth noise if that makes sense.