Author Topic: Vee headlight problem/ electrical mystery  (Read 635 times)

Offline TimV

• Bike: DL1000 K3
Vee headlight problem/ electrical mystery
« on: September 21, 2021, 22:40:26 »
Hi all. Are there any electrical gurus out there? I just had a couple of weeks in France on my Vee (K3) and all was good except that on about day 2 the headlights stopped working. It was not that much of an issue as I wasn't planning on nighttime riding. All bulbs and fuses OK, no other obvious causes either.

The bike is great condition and has had very little wet use ever, and no electrical issues in the 8 years I've owned it. Both main & dip beams stopped working on both lights. Though main works if you use the flasher button, so I think it's obviously not an earth problem. When the headlights stopped working everything else still works fine- engine, rear lights, instrument lights, everything.

Looking at the wiring diagram - see below- I figured that the problem has to be in the power feed to the dimmer switch that I have marked in yellow. Most probably the connector I would suspect. As that connector is under the tank etc I left it alone on my travels, to fix at home.  A week later in the trip the lights started working again! No flickering or any sign of a dodgy connection or anything. Then a couple of days later they stopped working again. This repeated again too.

The really mysterious thing is that I noticed that at time when the lights are working the first/fullest bar of the fuel gauge lasts about 80+miles as usual. When the lights aren't working it only lasts maybe 10 miles. Looking at the wiring diagram there is no apparent direct connection with this and the headlights.  All ultimately share the same power and earthing, but were those the problem then the headlight flasher shoudln't work either. 

All ideas appreciated! I haven't started dismantling the bike yet. It's annoying that to get at the wiring connectors I'm going to have to remove the tank and  hence disconnect the fuel gauge sender, as doing that may have an effect on the problem & make it even harder to find....

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
Re: Vee headlight problem/ electrical mystery
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 06:23:58 »
This is a common problem with the Vee .

Behind the radiator, on the right, attached to the plastic fan cover are two block connectors, one of them yellow in colour and the other maybe black, I think.

They will be corroded. 

Pull them apart, give all the electrical pins a clean and a little twist (this is what I did) and that should solve your problem.

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline TimV

• Bike: DL1000 K3
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 09:43:40 »
Thanks, yes I'll check out the connector cleaning.  Did yours have the fuel gauge problem too?

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 10:49:05 »
Not that I remember
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Youngman

• Bike: DL650 AL21, CBR954 '03
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 12:59:51 »
If the corroded connectors as above don't fix the problem then ('cos I had the same) -
There is a headlight cut out switch in the starter switch assembly. It turns off the headlights when you engage the starter motor. It can corrode and make a bad contact. Not sure about the fuel gauge thing though.

1) Get a large sheet or towel and drape it under the RHS handlebar controls because things can spring out.
2) Undo the screws mounting the starter switch assembly.
3) Search on Youtube "vstrom headlight not working" This will save me writing further :-)
It's difficult to soar with the Eagles when you're really a Turkey