Author Topic: Test ride today  (Read 1890 times)

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: Test ride today
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 17:36:36 »
His hands are still vibrating from the new "T" plane crank, maybe next week. :)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2022, 19:36:54 »
I've requested a test ride for the first weekend in August, we'll see if they can accommodate that. I've read a lot about the vibes from the 'T' plane crank, the Tiger 900 courtesy bike I had was fine and had nothing too obtrusive in the vibe department. The instant grunt was impressive but it lacked the top end rush of the 1200 by just running out of steam. Definitely a bike to short-shift up the box and let the midrange do the work. It'll be interesting to compare both 1200's back to back. More to follow in due course.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline pb

• Bike: V Strom 650 2015 in blue
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2022, 07:57:59 »
We have the new Tiger 900 GT on the Blood Bikes Wales fleet which I think is a really good fit for me, if I was changing my V-Strom it would definitely be on my shortlist. A friend of mine , also a blood biker has just got a 19 plate V-Strom 1000, he says it is the most comfortable bike for him he has ever owned, he has owned a lot of bikes.

Offline 2112

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2022, 15:30:57 »
Tigger 1200 test ride booked for Saturday the 6th of August. I've even blagged an extra long time slot too, which is nice. Report to follow  :thumb:

Offline 2112

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2022, 14:43:49 »
Well, that was an interesting test ride. I managed to blag a double slot so I could have the bike for two hours, a feat not often achieved at Triumph Newcastle I can tell you. Firstly, the new Tigger is a LOT lighter than my model, it feels more like a 650 V-Strom than a 1200. Very impressive and a good start. It's a good looking bike too (subjective, admittedly) and the blue metallic paint really jumps out in the sunshine. The two side-by-side are quite similar but the new Tigger has a much higher pillion seat making it a bit of a stretch to get on (33" inside leg too). Once onboard it is very familiar with near identical switchgear and a slightly newer TFT dash, but I much prefer my versions dash layout better. Starting it up and you notice the first difference, the engine is very gruff at tickover and feels and sounds more like a V twin. On the move and the lighter weight makes it a joy to ride in traffic and it has a very easy, slightly positive turn in. Once set in a corner it holds a line well and you can turn in even tighter if you need to without protest, acres of ground clearance too. I didn't find the suspension to be as good as on my version, maybe the lack of weight but it felt a bit 'choppy' and not as plush as on mine. I did have a good play with the setting but it never felt as together as the suspension does on the Gen 3 Tigger, in my opinion anyway. The brakes at the front are amazing and you can stop this thing on a 10p piece, very good feel with massive, but progressive power - top marks Brembo. The rear felt the same as my current tiger and was OK but nothing startling. The standard screen, like all standard screens I've ever tried was very poor but I'm sure would be easily fixed with a trip to see Mr MRA or Mrs Powerbronze. The riding position was, not too surprisingly, very similar to my tiger but as I've tweaked the ergo's on mine not quite as comfy but a set of handlebar spacers would sort that.

On the road the new engine is lively, masses of low down grunt, a bulging midrange and it still has a flourish at the top end, very impressive. The gearbox and quickshifter are the work of a genius and even better than the set up on my tiger (just, but credit where it's due) and a far cry from the horrible offering on the GSA I rode a few weeks ago. If it all sounds like I've fallen in love with the new model and gone and bought one, well it's not that simple.

You see, there is a fly, nay elephant in the ointment called vibration. Within 20 mins of setting off I had to pull in to get some blood back in my fingers. I have never experienced vibration like this on any bike before, from Guzzi's, big singles, rattly 2 strokes nothing this side of a whacker plate vibrates like a 2022 Tiger! On the way back to the dealers (after only 35 mins) I had the cruise control set so I could hold on to the plastics around the tank as it was the only bit of the bike not vibrating, horrendous. When I got back to the shop I was numb to the elbows and it took me a good 20mins to sort myself out after getting off. The dealer was not terribly surprised and blamed my current model for being 'too smooth', a curse clearly. The new 'T' plane crank is a disaster and whoever signed that off at Triumph should be taken out the back and dispatched in a humane manner...So it looks like I shall be hanging on to the tigger for the foreseeable future  :thumb:

Pics below -

Offline V-Twin

• Bike: Fantic Caballero Deluxe 500
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2022, 14:57:22 »
That's a shame 2112.
Good review writeup.
My Triumph (Tiger Sport 1050) was absolutely fantastic.
Hardly any noticeable vibration at all.
After running it in it even got better. The only two things I complained about was the clunky gearchange and screen wind.

Ps, good looking beak. :grin:

Offline 2112

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2022, 15:11:49 »
Cheers  :thumb:

The beak could quite easily be removed on this model for those with 'Beakophobia' but it's nigh impossible on mine...

The 1050's are a cracking bike and massively underated.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2022, 16:14:50 »
Good work 2112 A+.

Keep this up.

Your thoughts and experiences mirror the findings of people I know who have ridden these and the new 900's. It really is a massive shame because they sound epic.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline pb

• Bike: V Strom 650 2015 in blue
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2022, 16:50:54 »
No problem with vibration on the new 900 Tiger on the Blood bike fleet , however the new Honda 750x DCT makes my right foot numb after about 50 miles, I think the vibration is caused by the auto gear box , never had it on any other bike I have ridden.

Offline 2112

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2022, 16:56:25 »

I had a 900 as a courtesy bike a while back and it was fine, a few vibes but nothing intrusive or hand numbing. I was very disappointed because it would be an absolute belter of a bike.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2022, 17:24:40 »
20 mins, wow. Someone needs a  :violence-smack:.
Enjoy what you've got fella.
Upt'North.

Online Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2022, 17:45:23 »
Thank you for a very comprehensive test ride review, some high points & as you thought some low points, the vibration is very worrying and for the dealer to say he wasn’t surprised and your current model being “ too smooth”  :wtf:
I am not surprised that you will be keeping your very much superior Tigger  :thumb:

Offline 2112

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2022, 21:39:48 »
Cheers, appreciated  :thumb:

I'm always a little wary of bike launches and reviews, I often wonder if people have been 'swayed' on these events ? I have no ties to Triumph (other than owning one currently), and that's it, I have no affinity (or bias) towards any manufacturer and I would really like to try the new CF Moto 800 ? I know it's a Chinese bike, but it could be really good. Possibly.. And it doesn't have a beak. Yet.

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2022, 22:11:07 »
I was chatting to a bloke yesterday at the Campsite, he bought a CF Moto and said it was the biggest piece of junk he has ever owned, lots of trouble with it and parts hard to get.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2022, 07:44:05 »
Anything Chinese is a piece of shite....
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2022, 09:21:57 »
Me and Josh had a poke around various bikes in the NEC show in 2019. One of the bikes that really suprised us at to build quality, paint quality, looks (subjective, but inkeeping with current trends but not overy ugly) and spec for the money was the Benelli Trek 500. Compare it to the Honda CB500X and the Benelli would seem the better choice.

Designed in Italy, built in China. But then again most of Triumphs range has been made a boxed in Thiland for some years now.
BMW Motrad's main manufacturing base has been China for over a decade! Not a fan of the beemer and their build quality went downhill before the swap to China.

Saying something is made in China is not nessisealy a bad thing, but the chances of getting a Friday afternoon special when the big wigs aren't looking go up significantly.

CF Moto have always made friday afternnon specials all week! We saw a few into the workshop in the dealers... we couldn't beleive one of them (650cc faired tourer) hadn't set itself on fire with the shoddy standard of the wiring. - surprisingly it had an ignition/firing issue- we refused to work on it!

Ride Coordinator