Author Topic: Drive right after engine start or wait one moment?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline bonne

• Bike: DL1050 M0
Drive right after engine start or wait one moment?
« on: September 13, 2021, 21:46:39 »
When you start your engine, do you drive straight after or do you wait 30-60 sec before taking off?

I do let it idle (not rev'ing it) while I am putting on gloves and helmet, because I find the engine taking better off after warming up a bit.

My problem is that my neighbour now starts to get quite angry about it... is it me being an arsehole?

Regards, Lars.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
Re: Drive right after engine start or wait one moment?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 21:51:02 »
Letting your engine idle for a little before riding is far better than not.

If your neighbour has an issue,  push your bike a few yards away before you start it .  :shrug:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Pannier Down

• Bike: DL1050, BMW R1200RT LC, Honda CD200 T Benly, Honda C50 Cub
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 22:12:35 »
I find that my 1050 is a bit snatchy if I ride straight off, 30 seconds or so while I put my gloves on and it's fine. People seem to care more with a bike warming up, several neighbours spend as much time with the car idling which goes unnoticed. Unless you have a stupidly loud exhaust I wouldn't worry.

Offline bonne

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 22:25:51 »
Stock exaust

... but of coarse it makes more noise than most cars

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 23:05:45 »
A while back there was a bloke living in a caravan in our streets Garage compound (illegally) and didn't have a garage there.
I'd take great pleasure in starting my bike up with the straight through cans on my Varadero pointed at the caravan at a range of about 4ft.
Conveniently I'd be going to work about 30mins after he'd come home from a night shift.

My gloves really were a bugger to get on and usually I'd forget something and have to take the gloves back off, find my keys and get back into the garage.
Some mornings the bike would be idling for 10mins.  lol

Do I have any sympathy for the bloke.. hell no. Turns out his mrs threw him out as he would regularly get pissed and one night took a swing at her.

My neighbours that would be affected by the noisy exhausts on bikes are either bikers themselves or have moved in since I did. - I class this as: don't move next to a pub and complain about the noise at closing time. Eg my bikes were here before the neighbours moved in.  lol

Ride Coordinator

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 23:12:40 »
If you take it easy and keep the revs low, you won't damage the engine & it'll get the engine up to operating temp quicker.
I just turn mine on and head off and haven't had any issues. I can't remember if it's the car or bike's owner's manual, but one of them says avoid idling the engine when cold & states the above.

Offline bonne

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 23:16:27 »
I think it is with cars you normally say drive right away with.

Haha, mr_diver... it looks like I am a very very very nice bloke compared to you  :sunny:

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 01:09:35 »
I always fire the bikes up then take a few minutes to finish kitting up and have a walk around check before heading off. The exhausts generally point at the house opposite when wheeled out of the garage, and I don't care what that selfish old arse thinks, but nobody has ever mentioned it in a negative way anyway. The KTM isn't subtle when idling either. If I was doing a very early start though, I'd do the warm up in the garage as it's reasonably well sound insulated, then open the door when ready to leave. Powered door means I can pretty much just ride straight out & away without stopping though.
As yours is standard, I think your neighbour is being ta bit of an arse, not you. As has been suggested, move the bike a bit, or just turn it away from him.

Bike engines are more highly stressed than your average car so I feel benefit from allowing the oil to warm at least a little before loading them. We used to go with letting the Maicos sit until you felt some warmth on the cooling fins before trying to coax them into action, but there's no choke on a Bing carb, so they wouldn't run worth a damn cold anyway. I still apply the same principle to the air cooled bikes I have.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Angus

• Bike: DL650A L3
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 10:54:13 »
. is it me being an arsehole?,,,
No. I'm my opinion it is your neighbour being an arsehole.

Offline bonne

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 15:16:40 »
Thanks ... yeah, actually he is a pain in the arse.

As I mentioned, I do it because the MC simply runs better after idleing for 30-60 sec, and while I am putting on my gear, I can just as well let it idle while I do that.

Although there were different theories about if it is good or bad for the engine, it seems that most articles on the net advocate for 30-60 min idling (but no longer). for instance this article https://blog.amsoil.com/why-warm-up-your-motorcycle-before-riding/

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 16:22:05 »
30-60 minutes?? :shock: :shock:  no wonder he's annoyed!! lol

Offline bonne

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 17:16:09 »
Haha... yeah if it was minutes, I would also understand it. Of coarse I mean seconds  (-;

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 20:08:35 »
Screw them.... When I am on early turn I leave at 04:30.. I start the bike while I am getting ready and will move off when the engine temperature reaches 3 bars.... The neighbours don't think of me when I am sleeping after a night shift... The bike is more important  :)
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline SidLawrence

• Bike: DL1050XT M1
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 08:06:00 »
Do Suzuki offer any advice in the owner’s manual?
I’d check…..but the bike came with an Italian manual  :groan:

If I can, I usually start it before putting on my gloves, helmet etc. But on the early mornings I will push it out the drive, across the street & ride straight off on starting - as gently as possible to minimise disturbance to my neighbours & hopefully minimise unnecessary wear.

Would be interested to know if it’s mentioned in the manual if anyone can help?  :thumb:
2021 V-Strom 1050XT - Happy Days 👍

Offline EYAL400

• Bike: bsa 500,vespa 150,mz 250,suzuki gsx 550,suzuki gsx 400,dl650.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 09:08:46 »
After the oil lamp went off you can drive the bike . let the engine warm up for 10 minutes and don't drive too hard . no need to wait in the place . its not good to the engine . the engine get dirty .
Ride safe .

Offline Mr Nick

• Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 09:59:21 »
The handbook for my 990 says:
'Don’t ride your motorcycle with full load and don’t rev engine when cold. Because the piston is warming up faster than the water cooled cylinder, it can cause engine damage.
Always let the engine warm up before and refrain from driving with full load until the engine is warm.'

The risk of something untoward happening & having to apply load or rev the engine when cold is infinitely higher if you ride it than just letting it warm up.

The Veek handbook says 'Running the engine too long without riding may cause the engine to overheat' in the section about starting: not much risk of that in a few minutes from cold.

What part of the engine is getting dirty from idling that isn't when riding Eyal? Old diesel engines used to 'oil up' the combustion chambers if left idling for long periods, but that got blown out the exhaust when you drove it again, much to the dismay of those behind you. 2 strokes can do the same with the oil in the fuel causing the plugs to foul, but 4 stroke petrol engines don't tend to display the same as there's nothing much left in the cylinder after ingition, not unless the oil control rings or valve seals are shot. These aren't old British engines which either dumped or burned their oil by the pint.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline EYAL400

• Bike: bsa 500,vespa 150,mz 250,suzuki gsx 550,suzuki gsx 400,dl650.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 10:53:38 »
Engine must work under load . if it standing with engine on idle the fuel is not burnning . this is the reason not letting the engine work on idle for a long time .
Ride safe .

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 11:50:51 »
Modern engine management systems make sure that only what is needed for combustion is sent to the cylinder, taking account of all the conditions it measures. This isn't old carbs that weren't good at atomising fuel at low air velocity as the injectors spray a fine mist at high pressure, and ignition systems create stronger and more consistent sparks to burn it, so we don't have unburnt fuel lying around the system these days: the eco lobby have forced makers to ensure that there is as little as possible.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 11:53:36 »
I'd been wondering why I couldn't find the choke lever.

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 12:28:34 »
It's down beside the underclunken rod, behind the indicator fluid tank, painted sky blue pink.

Orange Bikes Matter!