Author Topic: Glee clutch cable  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
Re: Glee clutch cable
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 19:50:08 »
  Collected a new clutch cable this morning from Two Wheel Centre and fitted it this afternoon.I have a development now from a chap I met on a day outon yhe bike a few years ago.He has found an aftermarket clutch cable for the Glee.The ebay item number is : 363400328068, do a search and it comes up with a seller in Doncaster that I have had aftermarket bits from.No picture but my contact has compared this ebay cable with the old one from my bike and they are identical.Plus as a bonus,they are only £7.99p. With free postage.Worth it just to keep a spare, better that the Suzuki price of £48, sadly I had already ordered and paid for my new one when I found out about this.
    I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into Two Wheel Centre in Mansfield Woodhouse, it is chocka with bikes for sale downstairs,and upstairs they have every bit of bike gear you could want, pleasant to deal with and friendly with it.I had no idea it existed until recently.
Ian Mc.

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2021, 21:01:50 »
Got the new cable fitted easy enough, had a bit of wiggling to do to get it through but I was surprised I got it done so easy really, trying to adjust it correctly now and I have some more fine adjusting to do, the bike is very clunky going from neutral to first, it was always very smooth before, so I assume I haven't it adjusted correctly, I'll try and get it right,
also I have a small rubber cap type of screw left over and I don't remember now where it came from, I assume it's not essential anyway,
I looked on the parts fiche and I can't see where it's supposed to go, thought it might have something to do with the handguard but not sure.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2021, 21:23:20 »
Adjust the cable so there is only a touch of free-play at the handlebar lever.If you can move the small actuating lever on the crankcase just a smidge yourself it should be OK as on mine the handlebar free play gets a little larger as the engine warms up.You will probably have to adjust it a few times as the cable does an initial stretch and settles in.Well I had to anyway.When you do it should only be one or two flats,at a time,I don’t use the locknut on mine as it is under tension and never moves, just tighten it as tight as you can with your fingers,it saves getting the spanners out.

“rubber cap type of screw” you have lost me there, any chance of a picture to give us a clue ?
     How does the lever feel, about the same as before ?
Ian Mc.

Offline vstroman

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2021, 22:01:59 »
Thanks, the lever feels stiffer than before, I will try and upload a pic of the rubber cap thing.

Offline vstroman

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2021, 23:44:09 »
Hope these pics upload OK.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2021, 05:34:59 »
Looks like something off an Opel.

Offline vstroman

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2021, 11:14:47 »
Yes it's a bit strange, I have one of those little magnetic parts dishes and whenever I take something apart I keep all the bolts etc in that so they don't get lost, it was empty before I started so no idea where this little part came from but I suspect it's not important anyway, seems like some sort of cap to keep dirt out of something :angry-banghead:

Offline vstroman

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2021, 11:20:57 »
Probably not the right place to have this discussion but it's run on a bit now anyway,
Now I have the new cable fitted and have set the lever free play according to the owners manual, short spin bike seems to ride OK,
but I tried this,
bike on centre stand, put it in first gear and the back wheel is turning fairly fast before I even let the clutch out, letting the clutch out then doesn't make much difference,
then when I pull the clutch in the wheel still continues spinning so I haven't it adjusted right, but according to the manual I have set it at about 15mm free play at the lever so can't work out why this is happening.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2021, 11:31:19 »
Is it easy to stop the wheel spinning with the clutch pulled in?
If you stop the wheel spinning, does it start spinning again when you let go?

My Vee always has a bit of clutch drag when things are cold and the oil is at it's thickest. It's easy to arrest the spin with my foot and it doesn't happen at all if I get back from a longer ride and put the bike on the centre stand running to clean it.

Offline vstroman

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2021, 11:37:11 »
I stopped it spinning with the brake, but when I release the brake it starts spinning again, I'll go for a run to warm her up and see if it's still happening. thanks.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2021, 11:41:44 »
See if it does it in higher gears as well.
Sometimes the clutch will drag just enough to turn 1st but won't have enough friction to turn 3rd or 4th.
If you can easily arrest the spin with your foot then I don't think it's much to worry about although others may chime in with more knowledge than me :)

Offline vstroman

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2021, 12:00:40 »
It's still spinning in higher gears though not as fast I suppose, I can stop it with my foot but then it starts spinning again same as before, maybe after a run when the oil warms up it will stop happening, I'll see later on.

Offline vstroman

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2021, 19:40:43 »
Had a good run this evening, bike is shifting gears very well, that drag is still there but maybe not as bad with the oil warm, I have it adjusted as best I can so I'm going to go with it, bike is going well anyway so great to have her back in action. thanks for the help chaps.