Author Topic: Moto Guzzi V85tt  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
Re: Moto Guzzi V85tt
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2020, 19:09:08 »
@Brockett, I rode a V7 III Special a couple of years ago when my strom was in for a recall.
It wasn't happy in traffic, but OK on the open road, I kind of got what the bike was about but it needed a bit more poke and to be less of a handful in town.
Also, many reports of motor issues have put me off, end float on low mileage bikes due to collapsing thrust washers, seems to be very sensitive to changes in oil level?
Wonder if the discount is due to the low powered engine being replaced with a similar unit to the V85??
May your God go with you...
(Dave Allen)

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 20:20:04 »
Even the 3rd generation small blocks only hold 2 litres of oil so you need to watch the level. The nature of the engine's design means that the oil is kept remote from the crankshaft as well so the less fastidious owners could see themselves having issues if they don't keep an eye on the dipstick. It's not hard to pull it out once every so often & make sure the oil level is nearer the top end of the marks.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 13:18:45 »
Yup, you have to keep a close eye on a Guzzi as they are fussy beasts. I don't think they are phasing out the 750 but it would make sense to have one engine size rather than two as they have at the moment. I have seen rumours of a new 500cc model coming out at some point and a new 'big block' engine of around 1200cc ?
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 17:45:08 »
The '15 plate V7 11 that I recently tested was my first Guzzi ride. In my mind (yes a strange place) the engine was going to be soft and easy going, low HP, medium torque thing that would waffle along. I was very wrong. It was harsh, vibey and needed to be rev'd through it's six gears. it sounded and felt as though the pistons were hitting the heads although that is not at all what was happening. Nice riding position and almost acceptable brakes. It had 28k miles on it but was a very well looked after clean machine. The skinny tyres looked almost new but felt very hard. The supension felt very budget as did the  ugly fittings, levers, footpegs, etc.  As a bike,  it was nowhere near as well made as my SV650 which has 50% more power.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2020, 22:14:00 »
An interesting observation. I have to admit I noticed the V7's build quality dipped a bit with the mk 11, I guess a bit of cost cutting ? Some of the mk 111's seem OK others look a bit budget. The cafe racer looks amazing with the chrome tank but the riding position gives me backache just looking at it. I've ridden a V7 mk111 stone and it was a nice enough bike if a bit 'relaxed' in the performance department. The V85 motor is much smoother in comparison, although I have heard that it can be a bit lumpy in the bobber spec ? Mines a LOT smoother than my former Stelvio was at almost all revs and it's a mile better than my previous 850 Guzzi a Le Mans 3...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'