Author Topic: Short screen for K2  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Troutman

• Bike: DL1000 K2, Ducati 1000SS, Yamaha TR1, Yamaha 750 Custom
Short screen for K2
« on: April 03, 2021, 09:57:54 »
My bike came with a MRA Vario + spoiler which was so bad for buffeting (for me) , I invested in a X screen spoiler but no real improvement.
So I don't want to keep throwing money at trying out new screens and think the best thing would be to cut the MRA down to a short screen so it's like a semi naked and I get a smooth wind blast which I'm used to as I've never had a bike with a tall screen
Anyone tried cutting a screen down and what's the best way to cut it?
Or is there a short screen available for the K2? I can't find one.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Short screen for K2
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 10:16:21 »
Just out of curiosity, are you running mirror extenders?
There's a few threads on here which mention widening the mirrors as a way of reducing the buffeting.
My bike came with both the MRA Vario touring screen and mirror extenders so I can't comment on the charge either made but I can't say as I notice excessive hammering from the wind, although I do tend to tuck in behind the screen at motorway speeds.

Offline Troutman

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 11:53:40 »
Standard OEM mirrors with no extenders.
 If I stand up at say 50mph it's lovely, just a nice clean blast but behind the screen my head is shaking all over the place, it's actually unrideable for any length of time.
I am long in the back so probably sit higher than most folk.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 12:06:26 »
Might be worth giving extenders a go for the tenner or so they cost.
I'm 6'2" and don't find the buffeting a problem unless it's a very gusty day.
I love the extenders anyway purely for the visibility but some do say they help.

Offline Troutman

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 12:46:31 »
I might do that.

Offline fourelms

• Bike: V strom
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 08:00:02 »
For my K5, I've both a Califoria Scientific screen and the seemingly mystical Suzuki Euro Sports screen, both work very well for me, for different scenarios.

Cal Sci great for touring, Suzuki Euro screen great for summer use and obviously looks far sexier😊

I should add I've fitted Aprilia mirrors too. 😎

Offline Troutman

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 17:21:54 »
That Euro Sports screen sounds ideal but no longer available as far as I can tell.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 06:40:22 »
On my last two 'bikes (neither of them a Strom) I found spacing the screen away from the front bodywork made a significant difference to buffeting.

Once you have some longer fixing bolts and spacers https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Nylon-Plastic-Spacers-Standoff-Washer-All-Sizes-M2-to-M16-CHEAPEST/401879787794 or nuts https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M5-Aluminum-Column-Round-Threaded-Sleeve-Stud-Standoff-Nut-Connector-OD-8mm/283987732514 you can experiment to your heads content.

You will have ours of fun trying different combinations, eventually you will find the sweet spot and you will be happy for at least 2 weeks.

After two weeks you will be riding along and start to wonder if you can improve on perfection....

As others have said start with the mirror extenders, I made my own MRA type spoiler thing and combined with spacing the screen away from the bodywork I stumbled upon Nirvana.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 07:21:55 »
Keep in mind that once you cut the screen, it will cost you the price of a replacement should you want to reverse the procedure. For cutting advice, have a look at https://www.stromtrooper.com/threads/cutting-2012-stock-windscreen-down.97178/  and https://www.stromtrooper.com/threads/cutting-down-aftermarket-windscreens.26518/

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 10:53:47 »
Definitely try TLP's suggestion before you start cutting. I used spacers on my gen 2 (2013) standard screen for a couple of months, also fitted Aprilia style mirrors & mirror extenders and it made a big difference to the buffeting.
I did eventually go for the Givi Airflow, keeping the mirrors & extenders and that improved it even more. (I don't think I've found Nirvana though!)
By using spacers & moving the screen away from the bodywork has the same principle as the Givi Airflow screen, it allows more air to flow up and into the vacuum behind the screen.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.