Author Topic: GOPRO HERO 7 Black - I am amazed how the hypersmooth stabilisation works!!  (Read 1782 times)

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Today I have tested my new GOPRO Hero 7 Black and I am amazed with the results!! Never seen so smooth video.
Sorry for the wind noise, forgot my mic adapter...

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
I suspect a large part of the reason for the perceived stabilisation improvement is that the camera's mounted at the back, where there is naturally less vibration. It would be interesting to see what it's like mounted on the front of the bike somewhere, as vibration when mounted there seems to be a sadly impossible problem to solve.

Offline pichulec

There you go, from the front:

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Connected to the bike would be the proper test for it: there's plenty cheaper cameras do helmet mounted as well as that as they're using the pretty effective gimbal that sits on your shoulders.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline pichulec

Will do the bike mounted test soon then. I am actually curious myself how it will go.

Offline SimonW

Me too. I just read a bit about hypersmooth, or whatever they call it, and am intrigued to find out if it does work well mounted on the front of the bike. I've tried all sorts of things to try to solve it (only using cheap action cams, mind you), including mounting the camera on sorbothane washers (sorbothane is an interesting product, as it turns out).

Offline pichulec

There you go, mounted on the windscreen  this morning on my way to work. I am really impressed!! You can hear vibration in the audio, but you cannot see any. I think Gopro Hero 7 Black is really worth the price! Some people call the new hypersmooth from gopro a gimball killer. I agree with that in 100%. Watch in 4k or 1440p if possible, better quality.

Offline SimonW

Bimey, that's seriously impressive! Thanks for posting.

Offline SimonW

I've been trying to solve the problem of vibration using a variety of cheap action cams for a while. I've tried lots of different mounts and lots of different mounting positions, made up mounts using sorbothane in various thicknesses, and tried post-processing software stabilisation, all with limited success. On the strength of your videos here, pichulec, I bit the bullet the other day and bought a GoPro Hero 7 Black. And you're right - the image stabilisation is astonishingly good! If I'd have known this way back when, I wouldn't have wasted so many hours in experimenting. So thanks again for posting!  :)

Offline V-Twin

• Bike: Fantic Caballero Deluxe 500
I presume these are waterproof ?
Do they come with bike mounts?
How long does the battery last for.
Thanks
VT

Offline pichulec

No problem SimonW, I am glad I could help :)

V-Twin, yes it is waterproof / bike mounts available separately / Battery vary but no longer than 1:30h. I use external power pack with the expense of waterproofing (side door needs to be removed)

Offline SimonW

I've used this mount with my other action cameras and it works pretty well. You'll also need a 1/4 inch to GoPro mount adapter like this.

At the moment I'm using a more expensive Ram mount assembly with a custom bracket, which is a hold over from my experimentation phase and probably overkill.

@pichulec - which external power pack are you using, and are you using a different frame with it?

Offline pichulec

SimonW I use this battery pack: https://www.amazon.co.uk/iclever-20000mAH-Emergency-Cigarette-torch-Yellow/dp/B076CR28C3/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=iclever+10000&qid=1599251003&sr=8-3  this has two functions. USB charger and jump start so I am covered for the bike battery power issues as well :)  Lasts for about 20h when powering gopro.

Standard frame but with removed usb door.