Author Topic: Riding to work  (Read 5282 times)

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Riding to work
« on: July 29, 2018, 19:41:29 »

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
Re: Riding to work
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 20:00:47 »
Hi nice video I have been using my bikes to and from work while the weather has been so good I only work 8 miles from home so not heavy traffic like what you have to ride through, I like you electric gear indecator what make is it please?

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 20:04:56 »
I stopped watching after the first minute. Passing on zigzags is a pet peeve of mine, sorry.  :old:

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 20:15:38 »
I watched about 6 minutes,, sorry you are too pushy for my liking also. just cos a bike can doesn't mean it should.. Maybe you lose a lot of money for being late into work, I don't know...

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 20:16:32 »
Brave ... Uploading your own riding on here. ????.

I used to use my vee occasionally to commute but due to the severity of London traffic I found the vee a bit too big to drag through solid traffic. I now cycle most of the time ..
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Griff2

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 20:17:43 »
I stopped using large capacity motorcycles to work in the 90's when I started to see moisture build up in the crankcases of my then Triumph 900 Sprint during winter time. It was clear that the motor wasn't getting up to sufficient temperature to prevent that happening. It was also a big bike and as I subsequently discovered very ungainly in traffic.

Around that time I also acquired a Yamaha 250 Majesty scooter and started commuting on that. To be honest I was able to make quicker times through traffic on the smaller bike despite a few miles of motorway being involved. From that day on I never commuted on a large motorcycle again. Scooters are far far better. They have good protection on the coldest days. They are easy on petrol. They are also much more manoeuverable in tight traffic than larger motorcycles, a fact that I proved over and over by leaving them for dead when they could not get through a tight spot and I could. BMW's were particularly prone to that one with those cylinders and large panniers.

I eventually settled on a Honda FJS600 Silverwing and commuted on it for almost 10 years. Scooters are the business for commuting and indeed they were specifically designed for that purpose. I kept my large capacity motorcycle for longer trips such as Rallies, touring weekends with the Wife, and holidays abroad, exactly what it was designed for.
   just saw a bicycle mentioned above. That was   

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 20:48:37 »
Good man! Nice to see someone 'making progress'  :thumb:
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline pichulec

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 21:42:07 »
Rusty Nuts - Nobody's perfect..

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 21:46:58 »
Good to see someone using their bike to get to work.  :thumb:

Although I use my 650 daily, I used to occasionally go in on my previously owned 1300 cruiser. It made filtering interesting as it was a heavy bugger, very wide handlebars and even wider panniers.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 21:48:30 »
As I said, just a pet peeve of mine. We all do something we shouldn't. Ask the cop near Helmsey who clocked me at 75 in a 60. Lucky I'd spotted him and managed to slow down.

Offline pichulec

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 21:49:40 »
What can I say... I should not pass on zigzags but I do that only when I see it is perfectly safe to do so. And the main thing: I don't filter on crazy speeds like some people I see often. They filter like 50mph sometimes (in town). With such a speed there is no time to react when car decides to do u-turn or pull from the queue of traffic. I'm going that road every day, 5 days a week. If I would wait on all zigzags I would lost 30min of time every day. Instead 15min I would ride home and to work at least half an hour. Which is silly because it is not taking much longer by car and is only 5mile trip. Advantage of the bike is to get from A to B quicker than a car. I don't believe every of you obey the rules in 100% :)

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 21:59:22 »
Agreed Hugo. I too like ‘making progress’.
As a matter of course, I do my best not to overtake on Zig-Zags, but having said that, watching the video, the only time I had doubts was going past the curtain-sided truck, where from the perspective of the video, I couldn’t see if someone was stood waiting/trying to cross, you doubtless had a better view.
I’d probably have passed that small van with all the high viz on the back doors earlier, and definitely would have pushed in past that silver car that blocked the r/about, just ‘because’.
As for commuting; I did thousands of miles on the two CG125’s I’ve owned, they’re a superb ‘tool’.
However, I’m not sure I’m ‘confident in my own sexuality enough’ to own a scooter. Sorry Griff ????
Despite their obvious advantages, somehow ‘I just can’t’.
The only disadvantage of the smaller bikes was the total lack of respect given by other vehicles.
Having sold a VFR750 one day, I stepped onto my first CG125 the next. What I noticed was; despite riding in exactly the same way, & wearing the same kit, people would pull out in front of me, cut me up, decide to show me how much faster their car was, and generally attempt ‘bully’ me off the road. Unsuccessfully I’ll add.
I find the ‘presence’ a big bike has on the road helps to intimidate the numpties into behaving. They know they can’t ‘duff you up’, it’s the old Health & Safety thing.. if they do misbehave, there will be ‘soon and certain’ consequences. Even if that’s just a pointed look in their direction as you give them the ‘Royal Flypast’.
I bought my Glee rather than an MT07 just because I thought it’d be a far better commuter, but a change of job three years ago means I no longer commute, and I miss it.
Riding daily certainly hones your skills. I’ve noticed a definite change in my ability level.
Simple stuff like man-handling the bike when off it, or trying to back it up whist sat on it to get into a parking spot, are more ‘tricky’. Never mind the other obvious skills like slow riding and doing tight turns.
If I had a journey like yours each morning, it’d definitely be done on a bike, and preferably one which could ‘own the road’.
I found commuting became like an Arcade video game.
I had great fun each day carving a path through the living dead as they sat in their metal boxes listening to Radio Sad. 
Nice one pichulec, take care, and enjoy.  :grin:

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 22:03:34 »
Agree with kwackboy too.. posting was brave ????

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 22:19:31 »
Cross hatching is OK with me, but filtering on crossings is not. Exceeding the speed limit and posting evidence on a public forum as others have said is "brave".

5. Pedestrian crossings (191 to 199)
You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.
Laws ZPPPCRGD regs 18, 20 & 24, RTRA sect 25(5) & TSRGD regs 10, 27 & 28

To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline pichulec

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 22:25:17 »
I took off video from youtube :)  Thanks for comments. I will try to improve my riding using your advices.

Offline harmony

• Bike: DL650, VFR1200X
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 10:42:00 »
Shame, I wanted to see that.  I commute from the Isle of Sheppey to Camden High street on my glee every day.

You end up knowing the best side of the traffic to be on at every road , junction and light.  You sometimes ride on hashed areas, cross double whites and whatever else you see necessary to make reasonable progress.  The trick for me is to take it steady and stick to the lines I know that will be generally successful to progress.  If you get stuck and other bikes get the better line - so what, it doesn't matter.  That said, I've been known to polish the corners of busses and cars with my legs.

Always know that pedestrians, cars and other motorbikes appear from any direction at any time.  Busses, taxis and strangely cycles have better awareness.

Other motorbikes zip past me like I'm not moving, they race off the lights and weave in and out of lanes with no chance of stopping if someone pulls out or cuts them off.  I don't even want to think about moped riders, most of them seem to ride with a death wish.  It's like they have something to prove.  Really though, I don't care, each to their own.

Actually, one thing does get on my wick - the fast bike rider who's shite at filtering and won't let you through for miles cos he's got a better bike. 

The Glee is a superb tool for the commute, especially with risers, and a loud pipe. 

Offline Griff2

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 12:16:13 »
However, I’m not sure I’m ‘confident in my own sexuality enough’ to own a scooter. Sorry Griff ????
Despite their obvious advantages, somehow ‘I just can’t’.
   :grin: No need for an apology Orry. You should see what I have nowadays for general purposes during retirement....... Its a bit grubby but that was after a winter weekend in the west of the country on crappy backroads.

Of course your response does interest me because this model hasn't sold here in Ireland but I also believe it has sold poorly in the UK. I have no doubt that this is because of the anti scooter bias among motorcyclists. I would love to follow up that aspect on a thread but this one is obviously not for that purpose. Will we debate it in the Blue Oyster Bar or could anyone be arsed ?   

Offline JhT

• Rookie
  • Bike: Black Glee L2
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 13:28:49 »
Hi everyone,

I had to choose between Scooter or Motorbike, as my economy doesn't' allow me for both... (and obviously I went for the Glee). :grin:

I use it for my every day commuting (15miles each way approx.), however I am quite cautious when filtering. Had an accident six years ago when a delivery van driver was too busy looking his GPS to notice me in the opposite direction...
Lesson learned for me.

Cheers.
1971 Mobylette Motobecane》Daelim S-Five》Daelim S2》Honda CBF》Suzuki V-Strom

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 18:16:02 »
  Brave to post a road riding video, it always attracts criticism of a friendly nature, I would get ripped to bits were I to pop one up,so don't take it to heart.
   :)

Offline Valves

• Bike: ex-DL1000A L5 & NT1100A
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 21:21:17 »
Use my DL1K AL4 for work which is 1/2 motorway & 1/2 London streets for 50 miles each way. The scooters do a better job than me 'cutting through' in the London traffic but the Veek is pretty good all round...
You can live more in 5 minutes on a bike... than some people will live in their whole lifetime (Burt Munro, World's Fastest Indian)