Author Topic: Solid White Line Naughtiness  (Read 4805 times)

Offline frez

Solid White Line Naughtiness
« on: July 15, 2013, 22:17:30 »
Two clips, acceptable or not?

Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline skinny5216

Re: Solid White Line Naughtiness
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 22:27:34 »
Kerrrrrrching points in the bag if caught.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 22:35:59 »
I do this sometimes, but only in a situation where the lane I'm in is crawling or stationary, when there is no oncoming traffic and there is enough space ahead somewhere for me to move back in. Usually I'm able to share a lane rather than move across onto the oncoming lane. If I can't see far enough to do it safely then I just don't, no point in risking it for the gain of getting to your destination a few minutes earlier.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

ProfG

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 22:40:55 »
Both are absolute idiots. The first one was lucky not to be taken out by the oncoming car and the second one a typical arsehole cruiser rider.   :crazy:   ###  

Both morons that give bikers a bad name. If it was me I'd give the clips to police to identify them. Those solid white lines are there for a reason as was very clear from the video clip.    :angry-tappingfoot:

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 22:42:52 »
+1

I wouldn't overtake on double whites unless it was a very slow moving maintenance vehicle, horse or cyclist and only if there was nothing coming.

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 22:48:01 »
Doh!!!! the lines are there for a reason they probably don't understand. Points and a fine for both manoeuvres  lol eeeeeeediots  :old:

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 22:51:31 »
Clip 1 - Marginal, did he cross the white line or not? - Hard to say. Remember the lines mean don't cross them, they don't mean don't overtake.

Clip 2 - Off to prison, collect a ban, etc ...

I have been in a worse position than this in the New Forest. A five mile tailback with double white lines up the middle. My Brother and I on separate bikes. We stayed in our lane and overtook in the gaps when the white lines were broken, but always pulled back in before the lines went solid again. Yes, it cost us time as we could have ripped past most of the queues, but we didn't flout the law.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 23:19:16 »
I follow the law and common sense. Id only cross any solid white or double solid if the lane I was in was obstructed or something. All the double white lines around my home are for a reason, be it hidden dip, hidden corner or a danger. They are not there to bog us down in a single lane
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 23:39:20 »
:shrug:  First clip they nearly get wiped out by the transit van  :crazy:

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 23:46:46 »
Not worth the risk, one day might not get away with it so lightly, that's what puts our premiums up!!

From Highway Code
Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you
MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter
adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary,
provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal
cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16
km/h) or less.
[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26]
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 00:03:01 »
1st one was close to not being illegal... he only just crossed the white line. If the vehicle had moved to the left to let him through, he may have made it.

Still a stupid time/place to do it though.

Offline frez

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 06:56:43 »
It's interesting that some argue the case on legality others on safety. I imagine most of us take the national speed limit with a pinch of salt sometimes yet exceeding that is breaking a law too.

Personally I wait for vehicles to give me room so I don't need to cross them, or do so when the vehicles are stationary and I can see enough to make the move safely.

That section is about two miles of solid white lines and the queue normally starts between 0.5 mile and 1 mile before it ends each morning. Staying in the traffic might cost you 2 minutes.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 07:23:17 »
I used to think the solid line law was sound, however, they use them far too much now to the extent where their relevance has been diluted for me. I often see long stretches of road within a 3 mile odd stretch of solid lines where they've clearly said 'sod it, we know that these bits are fine for overtaking but we'll make it all solid because its easier than distinguishing the safe overtaking parts'. It frustrates me when I see a bit of road I could easily pass stuff on but they've kept the white lining machine set to 'f**k you' for no good reason.

However, I won't cross them, I ride like every car is an unmarked police car, I'd have trouble justifying such a blatant flout. I do overtake if the vehicle moves over to leave me room to get past without touching them though, no law against that.

Offline Strommer

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 08:56:58 »
Clip 1 - NO - On the grounds that it's a corner and he will one day meet himself coming the other way....

Clip 2 - No to the the part where he overtakes at the junction, that's a killer move.  Didn't see anything else too bad though.

If it's a road I wasn't familiar with I'd be more inclined to sit in traffic as there may be a hidden hazard justifying all those white lines.  Does look a bit overpainted though....

A disgrace to biking...

Offline VstromJay

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 10:30:52 »
Hmmm, though I do crawl past while on the double white line ( as long as both wheels are on it I am not straddling the line, honest officer ;). ) I would say the first was iffy and the second a no no. I never try to go around a lorry or anything I can not see over as it obscures what is I front of them. Never know if the car in front will pull out for a look etc.

Though with the nice weather you do get the inexperienced riders out a lot. I think they are the ones who kill themselves trying to get away with stuff high mileage can get away with

Offline frez

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 10:50:53 »
Here's stuff to consider before you do it:

How will a careless driving offence affect your insurance?

Will a car fed up of waiting in the queue do a u-turn or turn into the junction on the right without looking?

Will a car at a junction on the left you cannot see pull out turning right when another driver lets them out?

Do you have a landing spot as it is a narrow road frequented by HGVs and you really don't want to be stuck out with no gap to land in?

Will a biker with a similar plan be doing what you are doing in the opposite direction?

Will a pedestrian cross the road when a car stops for them and not look right? Hitting a pedestrian whilst over the line might well result in jail time.

Will you get a puncture from the debris left where no other vehicle goes?

Offline Strommer

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 11:05:04 »
You're spot on really.  It's the things you can't see that'll get you everytime.  If you balls up and hit something you can see well..duh....  But it's the hidden junction, someone coming out of a gap and the u-turner that you need to be aware of.  

Low speed, keep wide to give yourself escape time and treat every pass as an overtake where you seek a safe haven.  The danger in these clips particularly is that you are forced hard left so you have no escape time and very limited visibility.

The unseen hazards can be funny - best one I have seen is a scooter rider up near Holborn sat next to a car - growly snout and teeth come snapping out the rear window and scooter makes the wobbliest escape seen to date....

A disgrace to biking...

Offline frez

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 11:18:38 »
You could argue it's the same for any filter/overtake, but other road users really do have no reason to expect anyone without blues and twos overtaking in that situation, so they are much less likely to look, and you will almost certainly be held 100% liable.

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 18:27:29 »
Speaking from a little experience (not much though  lol ) riding on one of the double white lines while passing traffic can get you points  ### . No offence for crossing a single white line  :shrug:  they are there for a reason and if you can't read the road should you be on it  :crazy:  Forget the Highway Code it's how our boys in blue see it, just before they stop you further up the road  :angry-tappingfoot:

Yes it is mad to see good stretches of road and double white lines, but a time and a place eh, certainly not in heavy traffic it's just not worth it.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 12:24:10 »
I always thought a solid white line meant "No Overtaking", that's the rule I apply when I see one in any case.  :old: