Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Doh,
If you have any problems with your order ,
Try these people,I have used them before and been pleased.
http://www.westcountrywindings.co.uk/
Not on a strom but worth a phone call ,they are helpful people.,
The Blue Oyster bar / Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Last post by nigel s on April 17, 2024, 17:42:24 »
 :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh:
Sunday morning started at 05:47 (10 mins before weekday alarm) because weekday habits are difficult to ignore at the weekends. The usual 3 cups of tea were consumed and the bike taken from the shed and parked up ready for the breakfast run. I dressed in my usual biking gear, carried helmet, gloves and tank bag out to the bike. Phone went in the waterproof case ( I like to track my rides, don't know why just do) and plugged it into the accessory socket and that's when I had the first indication that something was wrong. The accessory socket readout was showing nothing but the switch light was glowing, 'silly bugger you've not flicked the switch properly" and so I tried again... nothing.
Key goes in the ignition and clicked to the ON position, nothing, nada, zip, dead as a Dodo. The boost pack was administered and the engine started, "Yay, flat battery was all... but why did the battery go flat?" I check the accessory socket readout and see 5.2v, 10.6v, 14.2v, 13v back to 5.2v and so it continued to flicker between 5.2v and 14.5v. I MM the battery to check for voltage and get the same readings as before, "that's the fried breakfast run finished before it started"  :angry-banghead:.
I retreat indoors as its still too early to be buggering about revving engines plus it gives me time to consult the years of captured experience I have locked away in my head. The years of captured experience suggests a charging problem with the stator and not the rectifier (diodes fail once and that's it)... As Murphys Law applies in this type of situation I don't have a spare stator on the shelf  :icon_no: so I consult ebay for a replacement (the cost of a genuine part is astronomically high) whilst I await a decent hour to wake the neighbours without fear of complaint.

That hour arrives (9am) and so I strip the bike ready for testing the component I think has failed... I check the stator and find an Ohms reading of 0 in any combination of the three pins  :shock: just to make sure, I check the rectifier and get a 0.455 across any combination of the pins... the rectifier's good  :happydance:

Why did the stator fail on an '09 650 V-Strom with less than 12K miles registered on the mile o meter? Did I do anything wrong? Did I not change the engine oil often enough? Doesn't really matter, all that matters is that a replacement stator has been ordered along with a new genuine stator cover gasket, £5 dearer than the cheapest pattern gasket available  :dl_hyperhysteria:

I have a 5 night 6 day trip to / in and around Scotland in May, glad it failed now and not during the trip.

I have to say... the bike has been faultless until now, has done everything I've asked of it and has lapped it up asking for more while returning 60+ mpg...
Short trip out, my sinuses are still full but thought I'd run an errand on the bike as the weather seemed better. Didn't miss a beat starting, the only thing I've noticed today is that my gear indicator is proper on the fritz and I was in 3rd before I'd even left the drive. Must sort that!

Got a picture that I popped in the picture thread too... slightly overdue one :)
Pictures / Re: Come on Show us Your Bike :D
« Last post by purplebikeunicorn on April 17, 2024, 17:19:43 »
I'm well overdue posting a picture, so here goes, 2017 V-Strom 650, 45k miles. Please excuse the state of it, it needs a good scrub to get the old XCP off. Yes, the glove is trying to escape!

Cool Cover thanks to crazyhorse and his generous acquaintance  :)
The Blue Oyster bar / Re: Ratmobile conversion
« Last post by Fat Rat on April 17, 2024, 17:01:00 »
The Ratmobile is at AB Camper Conversions today and they didn't waste any time getting the tin opener out ready for some windows. Also they started on the insulation and internal wiring.
The Blue Oyster bar / Re: Copilot can it be removed from a PC?
« Last post by Jim13_Wee_Strom on April 17, 2024, 16:40:03 »
Windows 7, Windows 10 or Windows 11... for a minute there I thought I'd logged into the VeeDub Microbus site by accident  lol

Apple user fwiw
Humour / Re: Four Word Story
« Last post by Jim13_Wee_Strom on April 17, 2024, 16:36:14 »
the can sang Suzi
Humour / Re: Four Word Story
« Last post by Hugo Magnus on April 17, 2024, 15:42:51 »
before her funeral can
The Blue Oyster bar / Re: Copilot can it be removed from a PC?
« Last post by mr_diver on April 17, 2024, 15:06:44 »
My desktop and laptop both handle Windows 11 natively, but the mini desktop I bought to use as a media centre is too old to upgrade to Windows 11, so I cloned the laptop and it runs windows 11 absolutely fine. (Intel i5-6500U based system and same as my old work unit)

Even the old 2007 laptop I have runs Windows 11 without complaint - I only did it to test the theory with a spare SSD.
It's some of the hardware based security features your would be lacking, on a HDD it would be very sluggish and take ages to start, but SSD's are far faster and breath new life into older systems.

Windows Movie maker was a great little tool, I prefer Adobe Premier Pro for the extra features but it's overly complex for simple editing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]