Author Topic: Rear shock failure  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Albert Hall

• Bike: DL1000 L9
Rear shock failure
« on: March 29, 2022, 10:53:50 »
My 2019 strom with 21000 miles on it has just had the rear shock fail. I use the bike daily for commuting and do some 2 up riding for pleasure but I don't ride off road and generally speaking my riding style could be compared to that of an archbishop! Has anyone else suffered a rear shock failure on a bike which is not even 3 years old? I am hoping that it will be covered by the warranty otherwise I will be looking for an aftermarket shock with a bit more attitude. Any suggestions? Thanks.... Albert

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
Re: Rear shock failure
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 16:20:51 »
there is a bloke on the BMW forum ( ukgser ) called denso who rebuilds shocks for a lot less than an aftermarket price. he can specify the spring according to your weght. I will try to find his trading name and come back.

Offline sillyboy

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 16:24:46 »
right then, do a search for t-tech suspension (denzo).   there are also firefox racing who did my BMW one or mct in suffolk.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 07:19:52 »
You neglected to state the weight load placed on the shock. Can you please clarify, if you can, what exactly failed on the shock?  Is it leaking fluid or is the sag adjuster at fault or has the main spring gone soft? Anything specific that the members with the similar models to be on the lookout for?

Offline Albert Hall

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 09:22:52 »
Great response blokes thanks for the info. I will definitely be exploring that option if I need to. I took the bike to Fowlers of Bristol to let their technician assess it for a warranty claim so now it's up to Suzuki for a final decision. The failure of the shock was not a sudden event. I first noticed that the bike felt a bit spongy about a month ago. I adjusted the preload and it felt OK. I use the bike daily for commuting so the bike is rarely clean enough to not any oil leakage from the shock. It wasn't until I was riding 2 up that I realised something was seriously wrong when the suspension felt really soft and spongy going over the slightest bump. It was accompanied by a knocking sound. Needless to say I nursed it the last few miles home and it was obvious that the rear shock was u/s. I must admit I never really saw any oil leak from it but as I say it's usually covered in sh** from constant use. I will update the group with Suzuki's decision......

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 16:29:57 »
My shock on my 2014 give up at about 25k miles. Like yours no leaks but all the rebound damping was gone and the bike was bad to ride especially two up.
Replaced with a Wilbers shock but I'd not recommend this make as their set up was way off till the weight and usage they were given.
Hopefully Suzuki will replace it for you, if they do fit a Hyperpro spring to the oe damper, this worked great for me, till 25k anyway

Offline Albert Hall

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 09:50:58 »
Thanks for the info. Will bear that in mind.

Offline Albert Hall

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 20:19:18 »
Well here we are a month later and according to the dealership Suzuki have "just" given the go ahead to get the shock changed under warranty. However, Fowlers of Bristol have no Idea when the parts will be with them and they are looking at mid June to do the work.....

Offline porter

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 08:57:07 »
That's good Suzuki are covering it but bad that you have to wait till June for what is a half hour job.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022, 09:41:45 »
I would expect a loan bike considering you use the bike to commute (I would expect one anyway) or at least take a shock off one of their new bikes and they wait for the replacement. The service they are offering is not good IMHO. Good luck with it.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Upt North

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 13:20:26 »
AH, seems dire customer service to me, but I think they've got you by the short and curly's. Is there someone on here who could lend you a shock meanwhile just to tide you over until then?
Might be worth asking.
I think 25,000 miles seems a pretty short lifespan for an OEM shock, but you can't argue with fact.
Good luck fella.
Upt'North.

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 18:53:08 »
I had a rear shock go on the Explorer. Took it in to MCT and they stripped and repaired it while I waited.
Doesn't help with your waiting issue however...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...

Offline Albert Hall

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 23:34:34 »
Hoorah! Spoke to Fowlers this morning and they have the part in! Unfortunately they can't fit it in to do the work for the next 2 weeks. Gutted! 

Offline Upt North

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 13:37:36 »
Quote removed

Two weeks?!?
I don't own a VS, yet, so have never changed the shock on one.
Is it that hard!
I take mine off the Pan to Moly Grease the pivots each spring and it's a ten minute job including all the plastic which has to come off.
I can stretch it to 30 minutes with tea and dunkers.
They're having a tin bath.
Upt'North.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 18:29:17 »
Unless you have electronic suspension, I'm pretty sure a trained technician could change your rear shock in around an hour.

They must be snowed under with work, which I doubt 🤔..
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline porter

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2022, 09:14:31 »
 It's not a difficult job at all. Loosen of the rear link bolts, remove the top and bottom shock bolts, pull the shock backwards from the frame mounts, turn shock 90° and remove through the subframe. No plastic to remove really just side panel by the tank to half remove to get to the top shock mount. Sometimes the rear link can be tight to say the least if it's never been loosened before so you might need the rear wheel out to get a swing at it.

Offline Albert Hall

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 22:58:06 »
I asked Fowlers if I could come and collect the new shock and sign a disclaimer in order to get it fitted myself but apparently Suzuki won't allow that which I sort of get. It certainly makes you wonder if having a 3 year warranty is actually worth having.

Offline Tiggerbits

• Bike: Suzuki GSF600 k2; Suzuki DL650 GTAL0
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2022, 19:52:18 »
It sounds like they are having you on. If its the well known Fowlers of Bristol, personally I wouldn't trust their "technicians" with tying my shoe laces. Let alone doing anything with my bike.

I would suggest looking for another Suzuki dealership to carry out the work or to supply the part.

Offline Albert Hall

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 20:25:23 »
Have just collected the bike from Fowlers complete with new shock. Very relieved to get it back but it has been a long drawn out process not without it's stressful moments. Fingers crossed this one lasts a bit longer. Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions and input. Much appreciated.