Author Topic: This is worth listening to  (Read 1302 times)

Offline dav

• Bike: DL650A M1
This is worth listening to
« on: December 02, 2021, 14:35:38 »

Offline Tintent115

• Bike: 2021 Vstrom 650XT & Suzuki Burgman 400

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
Re: This is worth listening to
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 20:16:31 »
Love it,  in the article they are saying bikes cause congestion... :violence-smack:

Sorry but I just cannot see how all this can be done that quick...?  :icon_no:

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline dav

• Bike: DL650A M1
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 20:30:24 »
It's the bit at 18m-40secs onwards about 2024 implementation of
banning modifications I find disturbing,

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 20:40:05 »
All this old toffee ..... it's like listening to someone in 1899 moaning about not having a horse to ride.  The tide is not just rising but is also turning and all these toys will be things of the past. 2035 eh I'll be almost 89 I think I will still have a motorcycle and sidecar hearse.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 09:27:56 »
I worry more about the 2024 modification banning part than the all electric part. I have to modify every bike I own to ride it, where does that leave folk like me? My modifications you cannot get from Honda, Suzuki etc so not approved by a manufacturer.
My guess is it's to stop folk fitting loud exhaust and tuning etc, which I don't do anymore (too old) but what about having to move the controls like I do? I guess time will tell.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 12:14:19 »
I took my bike in for MoT yesterday and the garage owner struggled to work out what switches did what.
With so many makes and models of bikes how is anyone supposed to know what has been tweaked? and will they actually care to look too hard?
As it is, some will go to the trouble of swapping back to original parts for testing purposes, then swap back once they have their certificate.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Chubnut

• Bike: none
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 18:04:00 »
This half arsed Government bringing in all this electric legislation when the technology is far from complete, no infrastructure, all cars left abandoned in traffic jams when the juice runs out. No mention of the HGV's what output they produce compared to a bike. Even with cars all touring out the window I suppose, should keep the caravans at home though. But I'll be 75 by then, just thanking god I'm not having to suffer all this if I was in my 20's

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 22:04:07 »
I heard today from my Honda car dealership that Honda are winding down and pulling out of the UK. He said Mitsubishi have already gone.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 12:00:50 »
I'm on the fence to be honest, I can see good and bad for going electric. I love my old bike and will keep it going as long as its economical to (parts, fuel, road tax etc.). I do though fancy an electric bike, instant torque, very low maintenance and running costs sound perfect for the bike world as most people have bikes for commuting and fun. For touring this would suck unless bikes start achieving 300 miles in a single charge, but for most 100+ range will be plenty. 

Its the cost, and unlike the car world where they have the numbers to drive investment the bike market is just to small. The profit margins will take the bike world years to catch up... unless we all start paying BMW prices. So we will face paying more and more for our gas guzzlers or have to give up biking unless you can afford £20k to get a heavy short range electric bike.

In regards to mods, as the presenter states the legislation is written by those that don't know or want to understand bikes. They are just death traps that I'm sure most ministers would like to have removed altogether to bring road deaths down, even though we make such a small percentage of accidents. As long as the bike is safe (so don't remove brakes) I can't see the issue with modifying, but as I have another 40 years of riding ahead of me I worry that probably won't happen. I doubt my kids will ever ride when they get to legal age, bikes will be so restricted or so expensive that it will be a hobby for the rich. A real shame, but until they stop me I will continue to have fun and hope you all do too  :icon_wink:
Suzuki DL650 Blue K5 (2005) V-Strom

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 12:32:15 »
It just dawned on me that this is the chap who doesn't understand how a torque wrench works: thought the voice was familiar, but the English all sound the same...
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 22:31:03 »
@ Mr Nick……Yup that’s him (torque wrench)  he does go on and on, most of its bull shine.
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away