Author Topic: Uneven tyre wear  (Read 1874 times)

Offline tony d

• Bike: DL1000 L5
Uneven tyre wear
« on: August 23, 2020, 21:02:45 »
Hello I have Avon storm 3D tyres done about 5 thousand miles the front seams to a slight shoulder on right side only very noticeable when cornering

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Uneven tyre wear
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 21:50:34 »
Likely caused by the camber of the road, it seems to affect some tyres more than others in my experience, my current Road 5's don't seem to be affected by it at all, got something like 13k miles from the last front.

Offline tony d

• Bike: DL1000 L5
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 21:27:46 »
Just ordered trail 5 tyres everyone is raving about them

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 17:42:31 »
Is the rear also worn more on the right hand side?
Mine do the same on car and bike, had always put it down to roundabouts.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 20:03:25 »
I've just Sorn'd my XJ600 due to uneven tyre wear.

Different riding styles and road cambers, surface textures ect can have a effect on the tyre wear pattern.

My front tyre had worn more on the RHS. I figure this is down to allot of roundabouts I go around on my commute.

On dual compound tyres (almost all fitments for stroms will be by now.) You will likely get a ridge where the harder central compound meets the softer compound to the sides.

It gets quite noticeable on the rear Tourance and Anakee 2 on my Varadero.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 21:59:57 »
I'll throw a couple of other possibilities in the mix.

A friend in the tyre making business always advised me to only buy Japanese or UK directional tyres as they built them with the belts arranged to counter the camber pushing you left as you drove (he worked for a European maker & didn't use theirs). It does make some sense as practically every road is built with a crown and cambers to the nearside both ways and life is easier if the tyres took care of that for you; and those weird countries where they drive on the other side would make tyres to counter a right pull instead.

An alternative theory I have is that people have a direction they're more confident turning: I know I'm happier turning right fast in a car than left as I'm on the inside of the bend. It doesn't matter which way you turn on a bike relative to the corner, but that unconscious bias probably does transfer as I still have that feeling when I'm pushing on with a bike.

The nearby new town of Glenrothes has more roundabouts than you'd think they'd fit in and my local tyre fitter sees more left side wear from the inhabitants so that ties in as well: bikes would experience it on the right side instead. It always makes life interesting when you're asked directions as it's always fun trying to get the drivers to understand 'go 2 roundabouts then take the third exit and go 3 roundabouts more then take the first exit, 2 mini roundabouts later go right then go over 4 more and go right at the fifth and you're there'...
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!