Author Topic: Avon Trailrider  (Read 6178 times)

Offline Pav

• Bike: White V-Strom 650XT, Blue XT1200Z Super Tenere
Avon Trailrider
« on: March 03, 2016, 19:46:01 »
My Trailwings have done more than 7k and getting low on tread. They will probably be OK for another 1500-2000miles. that's about 2 months of riding for me. I have started to look for new tyres and I have just ordered a set of Avon Trailrider for £166 from Oponeo. I couldn't decide between them and Michelin PR4. I know that michelin is very good but price of Avon Trailriders and few reviews on other forums and earth-roamers blog convinced me to try something different.:roll:  Hopefully I didn't make an expensive mistake :shock:

Offline Pav

• Bike: White V-Strom 650XT, Blue XT1200Z Super Tenere
Re: Avon Trailrider
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 19:50:32 »
Little update. Well I have done a little bit more on Trailwings than I have anticipated. I am currently at 11.5k miles and there was a little bit more than 1mm of thread on them.
I have my IAM test shortly and decided to put new tyres on so I get used to them. I must say WOW! Big difference!  :bow-blue: First of all handlebars wobble (if you take your hands off) has gone completely, second it seems like those tyres transfer less vibrations from uneven surface to your handlebars and third they stick like glue in the bends. I feel more confident with trailriders than with trailwings. :lala: I haven't tested them in wet yet but all seems very good. I am very happy with them. Now lets wait and see how long they last and how they behave in wet. They also have a M+S marking on sidewall. Is that mean its all season tyre?  :icon_wink:

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 18:37:26 »
M&S = Mud & Snow.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Banditbilbo

• Bike: DL1000 L8
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 08:00:19 »
Hello.

I feel that, within about 3000kms I will change both OE Tyres.
Seeing that the original BW501-BW502 do not give me much confidence, especially in rainy conditions, I have been evaluating the replacement by Pirelli Scorpion Trail or, Avon Trail Rider.

Is there someone who has mounted them (Avon) and can tell me their impressions with them?

My usual conditions of use:

30% Highways and fast roads.
30% Intercity routes.
40% trips and trips on rural, mountain roads, many of them in very poor condition.

I do not make forest tours or mounts.

I'm interested:

Grip in  wet conditions.
Grip in roads in poor condition.
I have no problems with the duration, I value the range of use more.

I know that one option would be to ride Touring sport Tyres, but I believe that I would lose reliability on mountain and rural roads.

I supose that in this forum somebody use the Avons.
Here, in Spain, they are not ususal. Most of the users ride with Anakees, Scorpion Trail or and Metzeler Tourance Next.

Greetings

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 08:47:41 »
Hello BB,I along with a lot of others really like the stability and wet grip of the Metzler Tourance Next.I went on holiday to your area last year and had no problems whatsoever,(apart from the rainy days).We used the N260 every day,and as you will be well aware that can be challenging in the wet.I prefer a tyre that I can rely on rather than one that lasts a long time but feels rubbish and gives you no confidence.
Ian Mc.

Offline Banditbilbo

• Bike: DL1000 L8
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 22:33:04 »
Thanks Ianmc.

finally I will "test" 100% road tyres, due to a great offer from a dealer (260 € both, incluiding assembly, balancing and installation of a new 90º alloy valve), I will mount Michelin Road 5 set (both, F and R).

The BW501 and 502, I have not liked much, but also, the front has been worn, the rear left to ride about 2000 km.
Therefore, because I have never worn the front so quickly( In both Bandits, one front tyre by 2 rear tyres), I think it may be due to my riding style, together with the type of tyre .....
That is why I will try sport touring  tyres, the Road 5.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 14:58:23 »
Fitted a pair to the Vee last week ready for our annual pilgrimage to the Dijon Moto Legends weekend. A round trip of about 450 miles. So here’s the story so far…. Bought a set from M&P as they had them on offer and there have been a few reviews on them and they looked worth a try.
              Started with the rear wheel. Took the old tyre off and unpacked the new Avon only to find it had to no colour spot on the side wall to line up with the valve! Should I assume that the tyre was so well made that this initial fitting point was no longer needed? Seemed a bit of a risky assumption, so went on line to try and call Avon to see what they could tell me. Guess what…. No ‘phone number only a messaging system which was hopeless as I was going the next morning. So phoned M&P and they had no idea and suggested I contact Avon. Then phoned another well established tyre supplier that I’ve had Avons from before. He was surprised, then went into his store and check his stock of Avons and there were no initial balance dots on any of them which he’d never noticed before!…. Suggested I contact Avon. Tried a couple of other tyre suppliers and got pretty much the same response. All very unsatisfactory.
              So fitted both tyres with no reference to setting the initial balance due to their being no colour dot. They went on fine and then proceed to balance them. Had to put 80g on the rear and 60g on the front to get them right which was more than I’ve ever had to fit on any tyres previously. So off to Dijon…
   Taking things steady for about 75 miles all seemed good. Some of the roads in Burgundy over the hills and through the forests are just fabulous, fast and flowing. The tyres feel very different to the Bridgestones that I’ve always used. Not easy to explain exactly how though. The bike felt more planted when cornering fairly fast, but also less willing to change line when needed. The Bridgestones feel more lively (which I like) hence making it easier and quicker to change lines. At this point I’m not sure which I prefer, but I think I it could turn out to be the latter. However I can well understand some riders will prefer the more planted feel.
    Grip was excellent (as should be the case with any modern tyre), and as the rear is a dual compound I may get more than my normal 2,500 mile life. Weather has been very hot and no rain so I can’t comment on wet grip. So generally happy but will have give them a few more miles to decide if I’ll use them again.
   I will be contacting Avon about the balancing dot issue and amount of weights used for their comments……

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 18:59:22 »
An update to my concerns about the lack of coloured balance dots on the Avon tyres fitted last week.... I contacted Avon and received a not very helpful reply. They said that they check the balance of their tyres but do not always put a balance dot on them! With regard to the large number of weights I had to use they suggested removing the tyres and checking the balance of the rims, intimating that the problem is with the wheels and not their tyres. I've got a few spare minutes this evening and maybe I'll just do this....  :angry-banghead:.....  Having fitted about six sets of tyres over the last few years I know this is not the problem. So if anyone is going to use a pair of these tyres and I'm sure many will like them, just remember that if there are no colour balance dots just fit them any way you like, making sure of course that the direction arrows are correct!

Offline Rallebiker

• Bike: V-Strom 650 /2017
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 20:39:31 »
Hello,
I have used Metzeler, Conti, Michelin and Bridgestone on other machines.
On my Suzuki V-Strom 650, I put on the Avon Trailrider after the original tyres.
I have to say that they are great!
Not as light-footed as a Conti or Bridgestone,
but absolutely stable and in the curves you can angle it just as far as the others.
I haven't had any problems in the wet so far.
However, my driving style is adapted, so not necessarily sharp driving in the wet.
Definitely my next tyre again.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 09:33:17 »
The Dunlops fitted to my Honda NC750 feel wooden and the front "white lines" something awful. I looked into fitting the 'Avon Trail Rider' which the Avon web site show is suitable for my bike.  Looking on that auction site  I see M&P doing a deal on the sizes I need but quoting them for a Yamaha thing When I entered my bikes details it produces a message that this tyre is not suitable.  I wonder why?
Also the Handbook shows tyres to be Dunlop or an alternative recommendation - Metzeler Tourance Next.  Does this imply the use of any other tyre is at my risk or does this mean the use of any other tyre is illegal?
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 16:49:43 »
I think it means that when Big Red made your bike and printed the owners manual this is what they tested on the bike and approved.
Any tyre you fit must be suitable for its use, that is it can't be marked off road only etc. The tyre should also be the correct size and if you change size ensure you inform your insurance company.
My advice FWIW is check on the tyre manufacturers sites and see what is a recommended fitment for your bike. Then make your choice from those that are suitable for your intended use, obviously after picking the brains on here.
Good luck fella.
Upt'North.

Offline Sega

• Bike: DL1000
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2022, 16:01:38 »
Friends help with the purchase of this rubber. It is necessary to order and send to the CDEKFORWARD warehouse. I will pay all expenses. :ty:

Offline steveg

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022, 22:45:17 »
Thinking of fitting some Trailrider to my vstrom 1050
Had some Trailrider to a tiger 800 which were good apart from lack of balance mark on tyres , still the same ?
Also any one fitted to a vstrom 1000
Any experience appreciated
Cheers Steve

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 09:50:09 »
Has some fitted recently and can't see any balance marks on them.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 10:03:56 »
https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/avon-trailrider-tyre-pair-110-80vr19-150-70vr17-k24208
I think these are your sizes but please double check.

I'm happy enough with them on the 1190 Adventure so can't really see why they wouldn't work OK on the 1050 Strom. :shrug: