Author Topic: The moaning old git thread  (Read 325588 times)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
Re: The moaning old git thread
« Reply #2800 on: June 14, 2021, 20:22:31 »
I've given up with "buyitdirectdiscount.com" a week of swapping emails is enough. The grass is too high and I can't be fannying around for another week. My fix looks like this
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #2801 on: June 14, 2021, 20:44:19 »
I bloody hate smokers, they are dirty, smelly and inconsiderate.  :dl_soapbox: I'm sure they can't realise the stench that they leave behind. Also, I am sick of picking up cigarette ends off of the floor.

What makes it acceptable to drop paper and tobacco on the ground. I'm sure they would object if others came to their homes and dropped sweet papers everywhere  :angry-banghead:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #2802 on: June 15, 2021, 21:29:17 »
Cars that pull out in front of you as if their life depended on it and then....drive at 25 yacking to their passenger on a road that has no passing places for miles  :dl_smiley_banghead:

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2803 on: June 16, 2021, 07:24:55 »
Spending time driving around the Gower John?

Place is full of people that do that.
Then they blast the horn at you when you drive like a "maniac" to pass them.

Ride Coordinator

Offline SuzukiSte

« Reply #2804 on: June 16, 2021, 19:48:08 »
Having all your mates sell their bikes then left like billy no mates. :groan:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2805 on: June 16, 2021, 21:06:07 »
Hang on in there Steve. They'll be back.

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2806 on: June 19, 2021, 09:37:46 »
Why do dealers have to be ridiculously over priced? The car has been giving us an ECS service required error for a while now, which according to Google is most likely an ABS sensor fault on the driver side (right) front, which is a common issue on Fords. I was going to just swap it, but the wife insists it needs to go to a garage for a fix. She phones the local Ford dealership, as it's going on for another recall, and they quote £120 just to diagnose the fault - this includes nothing towards fixing it. Bearing in mind Halfords charge £50 for this she asks why it's so expensive and is told 'we're Ford and if it goes elsewhere but needs Ford to fix it you'll have to pay the £120 diagnostic check anyway.'
I told her to take it to a local independent who quoted £20 to diagnose the fault, although he said it'd be an ABS sensor or a bearing on when wheel, and it took less than 5 mins to plug the computer in & identify it was the front right ABS sensor, a £50 part from Ford (Bosch don't do the replacement sensor for this yet). Anyway, garage orders and fits the part for £95 all in.
I know dealers have running costs etc, but £120 seems like a rip-off as a standard price to diagnose a fault regardless of how quick/easy it is to find - even Halfords say their £50 covers the first hour to fault find, but they may need to phone/charge more if it goes over the hour. Not only has the dealership lost the work to fix this, but the wife has now cancelled the service she was going to get done at the same time as the recall and will be using the independent garage for that (c.£50 cheaper).

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #2807 on: June 19, 2021, 11:20:32 »
Their business model is built on the belief among the unenlightened that you have to get cars serviced by the stealers or the world will end, and that dealer service histories make used cars more valuable, so they'll take their share of that difference every time you drive in.

My mum has a Seat Ibiza that had allegedly been fully serviced by Fife Seat, yet soon after, our local tyre fitters struggled to get the wheels off as they were rusted on the hubs. I wonder just how much attention the braking system got?
Thieving bampots.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline V-Twin

• Bike: Fantic Caballero Deluxe 500
« Reply #2808 on: June 19, 2021, 17:11:47 »
SuzukiSte "Having all your mates sell their bikes then left like billy no mates"

More than likely, they have all gone off & got new bikes, & they don't want to be shown up........ :haha:

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2809 on: June 21, 2021, 19:36:02 »
When I get a new bike I spend the "honeymoon period" looking at things to make it mine. Mudguard extenders, crash bars, lifting bobbins, heated grips, battery charging lead  etc. However, a chat with my insurance company has woken me up to the potential risks of doing all these add-ons a bit at a time. Each accessory when added separately will cost me £30 for the policy amendment and the Underwriter may refuse a claim if the bike has been modified in any way without notification to the Broker.  To save all these administration charges I should maybe save all the accessories in boxes in the garage and then fit them all in one day. And then there is engine guards made by "GB RACING" and me explaing that it does not mean I am going to be racing.....  :groan:

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2810 on: June 22, 2021, 17:26:17 »
Amazon bloody music. Every so often I get offers to subscribe, this time I did. I've already cancelled.
Back in the pre-digital past, I used to get on a bus and ride 3 miles to Dewsbury, and walk into J W Thornes music shop with 50p burning a hole in my pocket. I'd exchange this 7 sided token for 7 inches of vinyl, (no) ride back home (no shops in Mirfield sold records back then) and slap said vinyl on the deck of the Fidelity mono portable record player. The strains of Sweet, T Rex, Geordie, Bowie filled the bedroom. When my parents were out I could play the same records on their pride and joy PYE stereogram in the living room. I could even take it round to my mate's house and spin it up on his ITT Music Centre.

In short, buy music, own it, play it wherever on whatever player.
Amazon will let me have music, but only listen to it through their bloody app. My Garmin gps has no such app. Nor does my tv, my Denon music player or my kitchen radio / music player. Bloody useless.
Unless..... Is there a way to circumvent the Amazon app and convert said music to usable mp3, flac or other lossless files? Are any of you using conversion techniques, authorised or not, to temp me back to the land of Bezos?

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #2811 on: June 22, 2021, 18:59:53 »
There's always a way!!  :grin:
Try Google. Search for 'convert Amazon music to mp3' and you will get a good selection to choose from most will be free but it's up to you to try them & see which may be best for you.
This was at the top when I did that search..............
https://www.audfree.com/recorder/capture-amazon-prime-music.html
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #2812 on: June 22, 2021, 19:03:24 »
Yes, many offer a free trial then pay, plus I some of it looks a bit convoluted and sketchy. Just grumbling, really, but if anyone's using a good, truly free method, I'd be interested.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #2813 on: June 22, 2021, 19:22:24 »
OK. My days of downloading are long gone since I retired from DJ'ing, but then, I used torrent sites which I believe are now quite 'awkward' to use and most internet service providers will stop you downloading illegal stuff, therefore you would need a VPN.
Rather than Amazon what about ITunes? I converted 100's of their files to mp3 within ITunes and then saved them to a file ready for use elsewhwere?
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #2814 on: June 22, 2021, 20:17:54 »
It was the lure of the free sub that brought me to this juncture. I'm not about to start paying for Apple stuff.  lol ###

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2815 on: June 22, 2021, 20:23:46 »
The mrs pays for amazon prime for the free delivery (£7 per year) and gets Prime Music for free.

There is a catch that you can only listen to one song on one device unless you pay £14.99 a month for a family account.
But we can listen to the radio and selected song on different echos... we have 4 in the house that run lights in various rooms.

Ride Coordinator

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #2816 on: June 22, 2021, 20:24:53 »
£7 per year?

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #2817 on: June 22, 2021, 21:15:11 »
It might have gone up... she's had Amazon Prime for years.

Ride Coordinator

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #2818 on: June 22, 2021, 21:20:13 »
£7.99 per month in England.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #2819 on: June 22, 2021, 21:43:28 »
That's OK, just keep spending.

The attraction is the relatively cheap or next day delivery.

So do you need it now (or at the latest tomorrow) or do you keep ordering because you have an offer you must get the most out of?

:shrug:
So how's it going so far then?